Lenoir City Head Coach Resigns

lcfootball101

*A rare GovMan sighting*

Nick White is quality. He is a young man of character, integrity, and honor. I've known him since he was a kid ... known his family well. Lenoir City High School WILL NOT find another head football coach anywhere who is any better a man than Nick. Our society has become so much about winning and instant gratification, that we're willing to "sell our souls to the devil" if it will produce a "winning program".

You know what? I'd rather my son play on a losing team with a coach who would instill discipline and character and decent behavior and good sportsmanship into his life, then I would for him to play on a state championship team where these qualities were not present. Call me a big wuss if you want, but I want my son to play for coaches who will punish him if they him him cussing. Coaches who'll discipline him if he's trash talking or cheap shotting opponents or breaking the rules. Coaches who can discipline him and get all over his case without having to resort to foul language themselves to do it.

Do I want him to play for a "winner" and to be a "winner"? YES ... ABSOLUTELY YES. But not if it costs him all that is good and decent in life. There will be life after high school sports and it will revolve around lessons learned and examples shown in both winning and losing. In my opinion, Lenoir City High has lost two coaches now in less than a year that are "winners" in life and "winners" in leading young men.

I'm glad that my son plays for a group of basketball coaches who resemble the coach described in the final three sentences in my second paragraph. I hope and pray that Nick and his family will end up eventually in even a better situation than the one he's chosen (?) to leave.

Rare sighting... Right but since they pointed at that ill point at what I agree with , "Nick White is quality. He is a young man of character, integrity, and honor." I mean there is no doubt to that. Belive me I was there and in the post I had posted early about stoping to look at what was in front of my eyes. That was one of the things I was talking about. So I 2nd that!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick White is quality. He is a young man of character, integrity, and honor. I've known him since he was a kid ... known his family well. Lenoir City High School WILL NOT find another head football coach anywhere who is any better a man than Nick. Our society has become so much about winning and instant gratification, that we're willing to "sell our souls to the devil" if it will produce a "winning program".

In reading all the posts, I don't know of anyone that would disagree with you about Nick's character, etc. I like him as a person, like his family, think his kids are cute as can be. I disagree with his coaching, which is far different than his status as a man of integrity. Most of these posts have been about what has happened to the team on and off the field from a coaching view in terms of discipline/no discipline, rules being different for different players, assistant coaches not showing respect to players or even Nick. I'm not concerned with wins/losses, just what my son is learning on/off the field by ALL of these coaches because that's who is influencing him while all his time is spent in this year round sport. Nick does not, and has not had, the support from administration nor some of his coaches. You can be a great man and not be an effective head coach, especially if your assistants are undermining you with players and others.

In reading all the posts, I don't know of anyone that would disagree with you about Nick's character, etc. I like him as a person, like his family, think his kids are cute as can be. I disagree with his coaching, which is far different than his status as a man of integrity. Most of these posts have been about what has happened to the team on and off the field from a coaching view in terms of discipline/no discipline, rules being different for different players, assistant coaches not showing respect to players or even Nick. I'm not concerned with wins/losses, just what my son is learning on/off the field by ALL of these coaches because that's who is influencing him while all his time is spent in this year round sport. Nick does not, and has not had, the support from administration nor some of his coaches. You can be a great man and not be an effective head coach, especially if your assistants are undermining you with players and others.

Ok let me say this , Your right we go on and on about the charater and etc. Your exactly right! BUT , I play football with your son. Playing football for lenoir city high school has changed my whole high school career. The bond that the players make out there on the feild with there coaches is something that is hard to put into words. If not for football id have more than 100 less friends. About 10 less men that I can always go to when there is a problem , Personal or even with school , football. It doesnt matter, I knew that they were there for me changes and that changes the way I look at things. And some of the things you said man arent very nice , lets not go and "Attack them as men" , Just as coaches. What I said early about as dumb as he looks. Probly wasnt the best words but you should have got the point.

Sounds like LC's former head coach was a good man. Sometimes good men need to look elsewhere for something to do, as the situation just doesn't fit for whatever reason. So I respect his decision.

I'd just counsel all the non-LC posters (like me) not to pontificate too smugly or self-righteously when not living the losing experience. It's all too easy to express an opinion from afar when your program is the best in the state.

Well, let me see if my synoposis is correct.

There is a quality guy as head coach who apparently doesn't have the backing of administration as other programs at the school do or other local schools do. My best bet from all that has been said is that he probably was forced to work with some of the assistants he had because of the lack of committment and finding better ones, if he wasn't strong-armed into keeping these for some reason.

Does that sound about right?

From what the players and people who know Coach White have to say about him, he's probably better off anyway and can probably land a better gig, even if not as a head coach next year.

Well, LC is getting what you want - a new coach. Good luck in your endeavors.

There is a quality guy as head coach who apparently doesn't have the backing of administration as other programs at the school do or other local schools do. My best bet from all that has been said is that he probably was forced to work with some of the assistants he had because of the lack of committment and finding better ones, if he wasn't strong-armed into keeping these for some reason.

From what the players and people who know Coach White have to say about him, he's probably better off anyway and can probably land a better gig, even if not as a head coach next year.

I'm pretty sure he wasn "strong armed" at all. He picked them all from my understanding, only one played at LC and most came from the Maryville college route. Everyone must remember this was Whites first head coaching job, everyone doesn't succeed the first time around, or some at all, no matter how well liked they are. I have read about other coaches in this area losing their job this year, and most said these were good guys, and most post said it was a "bad fit". I hope White finds the right "fit" if he wants to do this more, if not I think most students agree he is a "good fit" as a teacher at LCHS.

As has been posted many times, this program needs discipline . THat means discipline in the weight room, off-season work-outs, and consistent discipline that flows form the coaches down to the players. A new coach may not be any more successful than Coach White was but If the new coach instills discipline in the program, I think they will at least be able to be more competitive.

Coaching Advertisement for LC:

Wanted:

A. A proven winner that can do so without school board and administrative support

B. A coach that can instill discipline in his players even though doing so may cause people to bash you for losing

C. A coach that enjoys sharing facilities with band, soccer, cross country, croquet, and basket weaving

D. A coach that will work for less money than most other coaches in the region

E. A coach who can handle working with disloyal assistant coaches who undermine you with parents and administration.

F. A coach that can handle a multimillion dollar technical center being built while the football stadium crumbles to the ground.

G. A coach that can handle the presence of constant political corruption.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST.

H. A coach who can take players from middle school used to competing against Vonore and teach them to beat Maryville, Central, Halls, Powell, West, South Doyle, and Clinton.

If you are interested in this tremendous coaching opportunity, contact us immediately. We don't anticipate this high profile position to be open long. Please hurry...

Congratulations Coach White...Other than accepting Christ and saying I do, resigning was the absolute best decision you may ever make.

I hope you improve your quality of life as much as I did.

I hope some of you die hard LC fans don't take any of this personally, as I never attacked any of you. There are still some good people in Lenoir City. It's just a shame they aren't leading the school system.

Ok let me say this , Your right we go on and on about the charater and etc. Your exactly right! BUT , I play football with your son. Playing football for lenoir city high school has changed my whole high school career. The bond that the players make out there on the feild with there coaches is something that is hard to put into words. If not for football id have more than 100 less friends. About 10 less men that I can always go to when there is a problem , Personal or even with school , football. It doesnt matter, I knew that they were there for me changes and that changes the way I look at things. And some of the things you said man arent very nice , lets not go and "Attack them as men" , Just as coaches. What I said early about as dumb as he looks. Probly wasnt the best words but you should have got the point.

I'm so happy that you have your team mates as your friends and they are there for you. The realtionships you have made will carry on into your later life. My son probably being one of them since he's played since they had a Quarterback club. I haven't talked about the players and as for me not being nice?!? What!??!? Attack them not as men, just as coaches....that is two separate things!! When you grow up, you will realize that those things are separate!!! If you didn't mean it, you shouldn't type it!! You can quit bringing up the dumb as he looks comment, you've already apologized haven't you?

Wanted:

A. A proven winner that can do so without school board and administrative support

B. A coach that can instill discipline in his players even though doing so may cause people to bash you for losing

C. A coach that enjoys sharing facilities with band, soccer, cross country, croquet, and basket weaving

E. A coach who can handle working with disloyal assistant coaches who undermine you with parents and administration.

F. A coach that can handle a multimillion dollar technical center being built while the football stadium crumbles to the ground.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST.

H. A coach who can take players from middle school used to competing against Vonore and teach them to beat Maryville, Central, Halls, Powell, West, South Doyle, and Clinton.

If you are interested in this tremendous coaching opportunity, contact us immediately. We don't anticipate this high profile position to be open long. Please hurry...

Congratulations Coach White...Other than accepting Christ and saying I do, resigning was the absolute best decision you may ever make.

I hope some of you die hard LC fans don't take any of this personally, as I never attacked any of you. There are still some good people in Lenoir City. It's just a shame they aren't leading the school system.

And hes telling about 100% of the truth because its our old FAITHFUL Basketball coach "Tony Williams" Hows life man? Really should come say hey sometime because just like coach white some people miss you. Well he knows what hes talking about and I belived everything he tought me on the court and in class. So like we all know its not easy. =) Both great men!

I'm so happy that you have your team mates as your friends and they are there for you. The realtionships you have made will carry on into your later life. My son probably being one of them since he's played since they had a Quarterback club. I haven't talked about the players and as for me not being nice?!? What!??!? Attack them not as men, just as coaches....that is two separate things!! When you grow up, you will realize that those things are separate!!! If you didn't mean it, you shouldn't type it!! You can quit bringing up the dumb as he looks comment, you've already apologized haven't you?AMEN Brother!!!!

Not as much as im bringing that up. Its just look at the part about being mean , Your probly not a bad person , not at all. BUT when someone puts there heart into coaching and all they can and about 90% of there life is coaching and all he does in school is try to build the football team. Almost every person that had a chance playing were ask what do you remember most about coach white , Probly he always tryed to get me to play , Is what most of them would say. Because thats just who he was.

Wanted:

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST.

AMEN Brother!!