REBELS vs REBELS ROUND 2

cobrajet

With all due respect to West.....well nevermind. Maryville will once again name the score. Let's go with 38-20 with West scoring a late TD. Then afterwards, we can hear Pat Ryan say how West played Maryville as good as anyone has the last couple of years. Give me a break, Pat. Your son is very good, but the team is in no way comparable to the MIGHTY REBELS. Go get em GQ!

Here's some info for you to chew on ET...

Some of the numbers actually paint West into a pretty good position in this game. Follow me here:

In GQ's tenure at Dear Old Maryville High, there have been 11 instances in which his Red Rebels have faced the same team twice in a season (once in the regular season and once in the playoffs obviously). In those games, the Rebels record is 18-4. GQ has never lost to a team twice in one season. Two times he has lost the first game but won the second, and twice he has won the first game but lost the second. Since MHS and West have already played this season, and the mighty might red rebels won the first go round, let's look at the number under those circumstances.

When MHS has won the first meeting of a single season double header, they have done so by scoring an average of 36 per game to their opponents 14 for a hearty margin of 22. However, in the second leg of the matchup the Rebels' scoring has dropped to 27 and their opponents has risen to 17, slicing the margin by more than half and trimming it down to 10. So, the Rebels score 24% less while their opponents score 25% more. Not a great combination, but typically the original margin of victory is substantial enough to compensate for that.

Is this the case with West?

Let's see what the numbers tell us. In the first matchup, the score was 35-21. Maryville scored its season average, but gave up 9 more points than it typically surrenders. Should game two of this matchup follow the trend under GQ, it should look like this:

West's scoring would increase by 25% over the first game (21*1.25)

Maryville's scoring would decrese by 24% from the first game (35*.76)

The result:

Maryville: 26.60

West: 26.25

Last time I checked, decimals don't show up on the scoreboard. It's just some food for thought...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the numbers actually paint West into a pretty good position in this game. Follow me here:

In GQ's tenure at Dear Old Maryville High, there have been 11 instances in which his Red Rebels have faced the same team twice in a season (once in the regular season and once in the playoffs obviously). In those games, the Rebels record is 18-4. GQ has never lost to a team twice in one season. Two times he has lost the first game but won the second, and twice he has won the first game but lost the second. Since MHS and West have already played this season, and the mighty might red rebels won the first go round, let's look at the number under those circumstances.

When MHS has won the first meeting of a single season double header, they have done so by scoring an average of 36 per game to their opponents 14 for a hearty margin of 22. However, in the second leg of the matchup the Rebels' scoring has dropped to 27 and their opponents has risen to 17, slicing the margin by more than half and trimming it down to 10. So, the Rebels score 24% less while their opponents score 25% more. Not a great combination, but typically the original margin of victory is substantial enough to compensate for that.

Let's see what the numbers tell us. In the first matchup, the score was 35-21. Maryville scored its season average, but gave up 9 more points than it typically surrenders. Should game two of this matchup follow the trend under GQ, it should look like this:

The result:

Last time I checked, decimals don't show up on the scoreboard. It's just some food for thought...

Hey Papa, interesting thought, but your age is definitely showing old man. You know math well. The DL has this game matched up very closely, however, the rebs should pull this off due to 'history'. It sounds like you've been around a while so check the history books. The past predicts the future. Not a bad analysis, but very green. Good luck, you'll get em next time.

AND THAT'S THE DL (THAT MEANS DOWN LOW MY FRIENDS) /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

The result:

What was the score at the half the first time they played? My thing is that it was over a month ago and i know from my own eyes that the Red Rebel D and running game has gotten better!! GO RED Rebels

What was the score at the half the first time they played? My thing is that it was over a month ago and i know from my own eyes that the Red Rebel D and running game has gotten better!! GO RED Rebels

Exactly, Papa Chaos knows numbers, but not life. Goog Thought Coach. And Papa, no disrespect, your outdated and old, but you're trying. And that's all you really can do.

Exactly, Papa Chaos knows numbers, but not life. Goog Thought Coach. And Papa, no disrespect, your outdated and old, but you're trying. And that's all you really can do.

Big Papa hasn't been around long enough to claim the same knowledge of life that he has of numbers. This much is true.

Nonetheless, I'm not exactly sure what I said that made you feel the need to take me to task. I was just throwing out something to generate conversation. I think that most people seem to believe that MHS will roll handily in this game. Some stats from the past suggest that it could be closer than the experts predict.

Guess I'll just keep trying...that's really all I can do.

Big Papa hasn't been around long enough to claim the same knowledge of life that he has of numbers. This much is true.

Nonetheless, I'm not exactly sure what I said that made you feel the need to take me to task. I was just throwing out something to generate conversation. I think that most people seem to believe that MHS will roll handily in this game. Some stats from the past suggest that it could be closer than the experts predict.

Agreed....The DL appreciates the older folks to try to contribute. Good job Sir. You are doing good. However, your numbers are flawed and you really don't know much about sports do you? Its okay. The DL will help steer you in the right direction.

i always get nervous when they have to play a team that they've already beaten-especially when they have as much tallent as West. i for one hope the red rebels "will roll handidly" but am still concerned. I can't wait for the "Blackout"!!!

I believe the halftime score was 28-7.

You gotta know that I'm not betting against the MHS Rebels...why would anyone do that? I'm just throwing out some numbers to keep it interesting. My gut says it won't be nearly as close as the scenario I painted above. West is certainly not the same caliber as some of the teams that factored into that analysis from past years like Central, Powell and Morristown West.

You gotta know that I'm not betting against the MHS Rebels...why would anyone do that? I'm just throwing out some numbers to keep it interesting. My gut says it won't be nearly as close as the scenario I painted above. West is certainly not the same caliber as some of the teams that factored into that analysis from past years like Central, Powell and Morristown West.

Oh goodness. great stuff lol

Agreed....The DL appreciates the older folks to try to contribute. Good job Sir. You are doing good. However, your numbers are flawed and you really don't know much about sports do you? Its okay. The DL will help steer you in the right direction.

Some questions for you:

a. exactly how old do you think I am?

b. do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this thread or do you just want to evade the question of what part of my post you took exception to?

Also, my apologies if some of those numbers were a little over your head there junior. Please keep in mind that even at my relatively young age, I probably have forgotten more about sports than many will ever learn. And I'll try to keep in mind that my WB education taught me not only to employ basic mathematics but also to relate to my audience in order to best communicate the findings thereof...as such I'll try to dumb down my future posts for you a little bit /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Awright den-Spanky says that if the score was 28-7 at the half-then the final of this one will be 45-24 Red Rebels!!!! Move dem Chains!!!!!

Awright den-Spanky says that if the score was 28-7 at the half-then the final of this one will be 45-24 Red Rebels!!!! Move dem Chains!!!!!

Some of the Rebel faithful have taken exception with me on this one, but I didn't think the game was that close. For whatever it's worth, West's really dominated the line of scrimmage by shutting down the Rebel run game. They were able to keep Maryville from balancing the game out on the ground. But the Rebel passing attack was just too much for them, and their offense didn't stay on the field nearly enough to keep things close.

Maryville slowed down in the second half, and I think got a little sloppy. But I really think the first half score was more indicative of the difference between these two teams than the final score was.