Sequoyah Football

warchief

You know the cliche about monkeys trying to mimic a certain biological act with a football ? Get the monkeys good and drunk first and they will be a fine tuned, well oiled machine, compared to the Sequoyah circus.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> HAHAHAHA /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Please someone list the names and how many years each stayed as head football coach at Sequoyah?

Who are the current "volunteer" coaches?

Also, I am curious, has the same "volunteer" coaches served under each head coach?

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summey fired, stunned by events

By Jesse Smithey (Contact)

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Knoxville News-Sentinental

Ronnie Summey's term as Sequoyah High School football coach was a short one: 14 months.

Sequoyah athletic director and assistant coach David Gregory said Thursday night that the administration "felt like there was a need to go in a different direction."

Summey, a former Maryville assistant coach, was not privy to that. He said he was out of town Memorial Day weekend, and, after he returned, he was alerted by the high school secretary to a meeting Tuesday with Sequoyah principal Maurice Moser.

Summey said he thought the meeting would be about a volunteer coach who stormed out of a one-on-one meeting with Summey after only 10 minutes.

Summey said when he walked in, Moser, Gregory and a couple of Summey's volunteer assistants were in the room. Summey said he was told within two minutes to "either resign or be fired."

"The principal proceeded to tell me the coaching staff had lost confidence in me," said Summey. "I feel like the coaches conspired to oust me. I feel like they conspired in conjunction with the principal. That's my side of it, and that's exactly what happened. A lot of people (in the community) are upset with the way it was handled.

"I never got the opportunity to defend myself. I did not get due process. It was a sham job."

Moser was unable to be reached for comment by phone Friday, but a family member said all questions regarding the situation must be directed to Monroe County director of schools Mike Lowry.

Lowry was then unable to be reached for comment. However, he was quoted in the Monroe County Buzz earlier this week as saying, "I back my principals."

Summey was a Maryville football assistant 1984-1992. He retired from teaching at Maryville last year and took over for Jeff Holloway in March 2007. The Chiefs were 3-17 under Holloway and 2-8 last season under Summey, the sixth coach at Sequoyah since 1995.

Summey said he felt the program was headed in the right direction for 2008, that Class 3A Sequoyah stood "toe-to-toe" recently in a scrimmage with Class 4A Rhea County. But Summey said he's from the "old school" and a "no-nonsense" person and that his volunteer coaches and Moser had a problem with him speaking his mind.

"I think he (Moser) saw it as an opportunity to oust me, because I've been a thorn in his side," said Summey, who is appealing his dismissal to Lowry.

Gregory said he'd like to make a hire "as soon as possible" but will do it in a thorough manner.

"Right now, I'm the interim (coach)," said Gregory, who was brought in by Summey. "I don't want it (the job). I'm going to do everything I can to find the right person.

"Definitely, we'd love to have one in here for the month of June, but we want to make sure we got the right guy."

Said Summey: "What he (Gregory) says and what will happen, we'll just sit back and watch."

Summey said he thinks Gregory will be the head coach at the start of the season.

"It's a crying shame that you try to preach that (character) to your kids and your own staff stabs you in the back," said Summey. "They didn't have enough character to come and talk to me and work things out.

"That's what I was trying to do with them."

Coach Summey has not been a part of the success of the Maryville Football Team but I guarantee you he had a lot of conversations with the coaches up there and was trying to implement the same type of discipline and hard-nose approach that they have. Some places want success and go out and make it happen. Places like Sequoyah only sit back and talk about it. Good luck Coach Summey!! You are better off not being a part of "How Sequoyah Turns". /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Please someone list the names and how many years each stayed as head football coach at Sequoyah?

Also, I am curious, has the same "volunteer" coaches served under each head coach?

I dont know all of the coaches.

Dr. Dave and Jeff Roberts are two of the volunteer coaches. Both started when their boys were freshmen, three years ago. This will be there forth year and there boys senior year. Coach Summey was warned about the feelings of many of the parents not approving of them and most thought he was going to remove them from the coaching staff. He didnt and here we are. Mike Black is the other volunteer coach and doesnt have a boy on the team. He seems to just want to help make Sequoyah Football better but may have gotten caught up in the web.

I dont think Coach Kurley had volunteer coaches but all three of the current volunteers started with Hollaway.

I dont know all of the coaches.

Dr. Dave and Jeff Roberts are two of the volunteer coaches. Both started when their boys were freshmen, three years ago. This will be there forth year and there boys senior year. Coach Summey was warned about the feelings of many of the parents not approving of them and most thought he was going to remove them from the coaching staff. He didnt and here we are. Mike Black is the other volunteer coach and doesnt have a boy on the team. He seems to just want to help make Sequoyah Football better but may have gotten caught up in the web.

I dont think Coach Kurley had volunteer coaches but all three of the current volunteers started with Hollaway.

Thats a BIG problem with Sequoyah.. Daddy coaches.. Everyone wants to make sure there son gets to play! And I bet the "volunteer coaches" will be quit after there son leaves if they dont have another kid coming back. Coach Summey had that team headed in the right direction, now yall get to start allllll over good luck! We're coming in week 3 so get ready!!

You want the truth Mike? I had told Mr. Summey about the scrimmage and the rest of the staff during a meeting. He (Summey) was suppose to let us know. He never called or contacted anyone. I decided to go to the scrimmage and the ENTIRE staff except for Justice was there. Gregory,Black, Saunders, Roberts and me. Your conspiracy theory is a fallacy also. I can't speak for the rest of them but as for me if YOU want to spread lies you best leave me out of it.

OH WHAT A TANGLED WEB WE WEAVE WHEN WE FIRST PRACTICE TO DECIEVE.

You want the truth Mike? I had told Mr. Summey about the scrimmage and the rest of the staff during a meeting. He (Summey) was suppose to let us know. He never called or contacted anyone. I decided to go to the scrimmage and the ENTIRE staff except for Justice was there. Gregory,Black, Saunders, Roberts and me. Your conspiracy theory is a fallacy also. I can't speak for the rest of them but as for me if YOU want to spread lies you best leave me out of it.

I'm sorry,Dave. I'm sorry coach Summey. I'm sorry Slobber Knocker. I'm sorry foreal. I'm sorry anybody else I have had a conflict with. I should never have been involved out there to begin with or on this board. Thanks,JR,for the phone call. I appreciated it and my son did also. Good luck,Chiefs!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> HAHAHAHA /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

David Staff, three years, one or two volunteers, Scott Meadows, three years, two volunteers, Steve Smith, one year, two volunteers, Don Kerley, three years, three volunteers, Jeff Holloway, two years, three volunteers, Ronnie Summey, one year, three volunteers.

Don't know what the real problem was but by reading coaches comments his assistant wanted the job (the current AD which is also on f/ball staff). Don't know any of the coaches but did see this team play once last year, played hard. Not a very good offensive scheme in my opinion, whoever the play caller was didn't do a good job at all recognizing where he had the advantages. No one is perfect and that was only one game I saw. Maybe he was better on other Fri nights.

Anyway good luck with the season hope it turns out well. Its very odd that you fire your coach two months before the season. Things like that take place in the winter. Hate it for the seniors - they need to make a good hire and not give it to anyone on last year's staff.

I'm sorry,Dave. I'm sorry coach Summey. I'm sorry Slobber Knocker. I'm sorry foreal. I'm sorry anybody else I have had a conflict with. I should never have been involved out there to begin with or on this board. Thanks,JR,for the phone call. I appreciated it and my son did also. Good luck,Chiefs!

No appology necessary. It sounds like youre on the right side again. You know how it is when you start to trust the bad guy then the next thing you know; youve been attacked from behind... Thats what happened to you.

David Staff, three years, one or two volunteers, Scott Meadows, three years, two volunteers, Steve Smith, one year, two volunteers, Don Kerley, three years, three volunteers, Jeff Holloway, two years, three volunteers, Ronnie Summey, one year, three volunteers.

Were any of the previous volunteer coaches parents of any players during there service or is this a first?