Sequoyah Football

warchief

While everyone is moaning about the firing of Ronnie Summey, let's go back and see if it was a smart hire to begin with.

Coach Summey was I think a head coach for two years at Vonore. Had one 6-4 record which was good for VHS. Left and spent a few years as an assistant at successful programs. Although his years at Maryville included some 5-5 and 6-4 seasons. They weren't the football juggernaut we know now.

Coach Summey hadn't coached at all in some 15 years. He was approaching retirement.

I would think if you're going to hire a career assistant with two years experience as a Class A head coach, you should get someone on the way up, not on the way down.

Yes, Coach Summey was big on the discipline, and there was no doubt that SQHS needed a dose of that. But ask old warhorses like Benny Hammonds at GP, and they'll tell you kids are different now. Discipline is different now.

Do you think any college coach anywhere could get away with the crap Bear Bryant did at A&M (see the Junction Boys).

Coach Summey was old school. Sequoyah needs someone a little more in touch with today's kids. The only good year the school ever had was a with a young first time head coach.

I think we need to be looking for another Scott Meadows instead of a Ronnie Summey. I want someone who can communicate with the kids, not just belittle and berate them because that will make them tougher and more disciplined. A 30 year veteran SEC assistant might work because he is obviously communicating with kids every day.

But hiring a soon to be retired coach with a light resume who hadn't stepped on a field in 15 years was not a good hire. It was purely political as some claim the firing was. Sequoyah threw Vonore a bone. Now let's go find a good young coach full of fire and bury the past. It's certainly not worth cherishing.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While everyone is moaning about the firing of Ronnie Summey, let's go back and see if it was a smart hire to begin with.

Coach Summey was I think a head coach for two years at Vonore. Had one 6-4 record which was good for VHS. Left and spent a few years as an assistant at successful programs. Although his years at Maryville included some 5-5 and 6-4 seasons. They weren't the football juggernaut we know now.

Coach Summey hadn't coached at all in some 15 years. He was approaching retirement.

I would think if you're going to hire a career assistant with two years experience as a Class A head coach, you should get someone on the way up, not on the way down.

Yes, Coach Summey was big on the discipline, and there was no doubt that SQHS needed a dose of that. But ask old warhorses like Benny Hammonds at GP, and they'll tell you kids are different now. Discipline is different now.

Do you think any college coach anywhere could get away with the crap Bear Bryant did at A&M (see the Junction Boys).

Coach Summey was old school. Sequoyah needs someone a little more in touch with today's kids. The only good year the school ever had was a with a young first time head coach.

I think we need to be looking for another Scott Meadows instead of a Ronnie Summey. I want someone who can communicate with the kids, not just belittle and berate them because that will make them tougher and more disciplined. A 30 year veteran SEC assistant might work because he is obviously communicating with kids every day.

But hiring a soon to be retired coach with a light resume who hadn't stepped on a field in 15 years was not a good hire. It was purely political as some claim the firing was. Sequoyah threw Vonore a bone. Now let's go find a good young coach full of fire and bury the past. It's certainly not worth cherishing.

TRUE!!!

I agree 100%!

Thanks to a few parents and coaches Sequoyah went from gaining respect to being the laughing stock again. Anyway, a coach with 30 years experience is probably too "old school" for most peoples taste. And I didn't think that was what folks at SQHS wanted. You know discipline, character, etc...

I'm sorry Vonore12, I just cant agree with "being the laughing stock", the kids are still here, actually more kids are here now, and I know teams will not take us serious until we play them, but if you been to practice lately you would notice things are progressing really well. GO CHIEFS!!!

He Might not want to give his name right now. One way or the other I will at some point give you his name.

His name is Sam McCorkle. He coached at West Alabama from 1985-1990 and again from 2004-2005. His record there was 24-62-2. He also coached at UT-Martin for 2 1/2 years. His record there was 5-25. He has coached at 10

different places in the last 12 years.

His name is Sam McCorkle. He coached at West Alabama from 1985-1990 and again from 2004-2005. His record there was 24-62-2. He also coached at UT-Martin for 2 1/2 years. His record there was 5-25. He has coached at 10

subtitle: Interviews well delivers much less...

I would say take a young coach in and let him prove himself and invest in the community. It is a tough job trying to build a program, and even harder if it is your home. Find a young outsider that deserves a chance and go after him.

Oh joy, a coach who got fired from UTM in mid-season for "philosphical differences." Mickey Andrews was his head coach at Livingston (now West Alabama where he's coached twice).

He has a Coaching Video out called "winning option football" despite the fact he's never won anywhere he's coached.

Please God no option. We've run that offense before. Option one was quarterback fumbles, option two was fullback fumbles and option three was halfback drops the pitch. Option four was slow halfback gets thrown for a four yard loss after small line gets pushed into the backfield.

Keep looking coach. There's a hungry young assistant out there waiting for his big chance. Call Gary Rankin at Alcoa, I'll bet one of his old Riverdale assistants would love to go to a school that actually has its own stadium.

Oh joy, a coach who got fired from UTM in mid-season for "philosphical differences." Mickey Andrews was his head coach at Livingston (now West Alabama where he's coached twice).

He has a Coaching Video out called "winning option football" despite the fact he's never won anywhere he's coached.

Please God no option. We've run that offense before. Option one was quarterback fumbles, option two was fullback fumbles and option three was halfback drops the pitch. Option four was slow halfback gets thrown for a four yard loss after small line gets pushed into the backfield.

Keep looking coach. There's a hungry young assistant out there waiting for his big chance. Call Gary Rankin at Alcoa, I'll bet one of his old Riverdale assistants would love to go to a school that actually has its own stadium.

I will have to agree with johnq my son just graduated from a school down the road you guys don't like to talk about but for to years he play in a system that was lost and looking for direction but with a revivrance from a young head coach and fresh outlook on things the program is turned around in two years and only getting better and if i was looking for somone to jump start a program there is an asst. at this school who is a Monroe co. native who helped 5 out of 6 seniors get football schlorships with my son and one more getting full rides this is what ANY program needs winning yes but life after highschool

Sounds like a good one to me! hummmmmmmmm /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Did you read the post at all????? That is a lot of class.

Sounds like a good one to me! hummmmmmmmm /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Sorry you didn't get the Sequoyah job when you applied. I think most would agree that when you can even "get" an interview at "any" of the colleges this man has been and is currently at then it might be appropriate or somewhat qualify you to comment on whether or not he is a "good one to me" or not. If you have a dictionary look up ###### envy. If the words are too large you will find it right beside your picture. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />