Sequoyah Football

warchief

While everyone is moaning about the firing of Ronnie Summey, let's go back and see if it was a smart hire to begin with.

Coach Summey was I think a head coach for two years at Vonore. Had one 6-4 record which was good for VHS. Left and spent a few years as an assistant at successful programs. Although his years at Maryville included some 5-5 and 6-4 seasons. They weren't the football juggernaut we know now.

Coach Summey hadn't coached at all in some 15 years. He was approaching retirement.

I would think if you're going to hire a career assistant with two years experience as a Class A head coach, you should get someone on the way up, not on the way down.

Yes, Coach Summey was big on the discipline, and there was no doubt that SQHS needed a dose of that. But ask old warhorses like Benny Hammonds at GP, and they'll tell you kids are different now. Discipline is different now.

Do you think any college coach anywhere could get away with the crap Bear Bryant did at A&M (see the Junction Boys).

Coach Summey was old school. Sequoyah needs someone a little more in touch with today's kids. The only good year the school ever had was a with a young first time head coach.

I think we need to be looking for another Scott Meadows instead of a Ronnie Summey. I want someone who can communicate with the kids, not just belittle and berate them because that will make them tougher and more disciplined. A 30 year veteran SEC assistant might work because he is obviously communicating with kids every day.

But hiring a soon to be retired coach with a light resume who hadn't stepped on a field in 15 years was not a good hire. It was purely political as some claim the firing was. Sequoyah threw Vonore a bone. Now let's go find a good young coach full of fire and bury the past. It's certainly not worth cherishing.

I got one name for ya, Coach Bill Dupes aka Papa Bear. He coached at Austin Peay and Tenn. Tech. Then restablished at T.M.I. before he went to sweetwater and set out up on a misson to rebuild the Wildcat program back to the level of the King Berrong glory days. I believe that included a state championship. Every now and then that rarity of a coach comes along that has the depth of exp. and knowledge of the game and a unique gift to relate to kids generation after generation. That can adapt to the culture and Enviroment. Identify and weed out the bad, nurish and focus on the good, and leave the entire program in a much better state when he does retire.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhhhhh gee you hurt my feelings calling me names, I mean a manly man such as your self hiding behind a computer and calling people names ooooohhhhh big bad "boy". Find one coach that will tell you they have gotten free dental care? There are NONE! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Who mentioned your name? Not me. Perhaps the you should see a Dermetologist cause by following this post, you appear to suffer from excessive thin skin. Lighten up you created this monster.

Is it realy neccessary to call people names. If you have a problem with Dave I think you need to be a man about it and talk to him face to face. If you do not think he needs to be coaching that is your opinion, but calling him names is just down right rude and uncalled for.

Who mentioned Dave??? I dont think he would like you calling him fat either.

Where did he coach after Greenback? What was thier record? what were the records of the Vonore Teams while he was thier Head Coach? Did he have good asst. coaches at Greenback. I'd be willing to bet he had some very good asst's. I have alot of respect for the man and for what he did at Greenback. So I'm not talking bad about him what so ever but in my opinion we need a coach who doesn't have any ties what so ever to either Madisonville or Vonore. My screen name tells where I am from but don't think for a minute that I don't care about this team. Not just the Madsionville kids but the Vonore kids as well. If any of you doing all the complaining cared about the TEAM then you would be there as often as you could to watch them progress and grow. THIS IS NOT A MADISONVILLE, VONORE THING! You will never see me wearing the Black & Gold around Sequoyah. I'm a Chief Supporter and thats it. I'm at every practice I watch I see what goes on therefore I don't have to listen to other people to know how the team is doing or whats going on at practice. Maybe I'm wierd or something but I have a love for the game and I can't stay away. I don't stand there and shout things form the stands, I don't get in the coaches ear after a practice, I don't offer my opinions to any coach or player. I sit there and watch and I enjoy what I'm seeing .Believe me this team has improved so much from last year to this year. The best thing for this school is for all of us to keep our noses out of it and let the Principal, the AD and the director all come to an agreement on a coach. That is the way it should be and if all three agree then I will support who ever they decide on.

So what u r saying is that it is okay to coach at Sequoyah if u r from madisonville(ie; Maurice Moser, Perry Hull, Mike Black, Adam Kefauver, Andy Pennington,..................) but if u ever had anything to do with Vonore than heaven forbid you to even think about coaching at Sequoyah no matter what your credintials r and how well you r known in the state of Tennessee 4 your coaching abilities. The man is obviously passionate about the job or he would not have applied 4 different times. He has told me personally that he would love to coach at least 10 more years and would love to end his career at Sequoyah. That is what we need here is someone with his credintials and committment to the program. This could be what we have all been looking 4 - CONSISTENCY IN THE PROGRAM. I did not mention all of these coachs' names to blast them either. I think that every coach that I mentioned from Madisonville does a great job, and I am glad that the powers to be did not pass on them just because they have ties to Madisonville. All I am trying to say is why go looking for gold when you have it in your own backyard.

Sorry you didn't get the Sequoyah job when you applied. I think most would agree that when you can even "get" an interview at "any" of the colleges this man has been and is currently at then it might be appropriate or somewhat qualify you to comment on whether or not he is a "good one to me" or not. If you have a dictionary look up ###### envy. If the words are too large you will find it right beside your picture. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I applied, interviewed and signed a contract with Bob Lovingood to come to Sequoyah. Due to family concerns of my wife at the time we didn't take the job. I think Sequoyah could be a very good place to coach IF the head coach could pick the help he wanted to surround himself with. If the volunteer coaches have as much influence at Sequoyah as it sounds like they do on this board that will never happen. Volunteer coaches are a luxury to have if they know what their job descriptions are. Making decisions that should be made by Monroe County Department of Education employees, ie the hired coaches, should not be part of their job descriptions as volunteers.

I looked up ###### in the dictionary and it said RedChief

Where did he coach after Greenback? What was thier record? what were the records of the Vonore Teams while he was thier Head Coach? Did he have good asst. coaches at Greenback. I'd be willing to bet he had some very good asst's. I have alot of respect for the man and for what he did at Greenback. So I'm not talking bad about him what so ever but in my opinion we need a coach who doesn't have any ties what so ever to either Madisonville or Vonore. My screen name tells where I am from but don't think for a minute that I don't care about this team. Not just the Madsionville kids but the Vonore kids as well. If any of you doing all the complaining cared about the TEAM then you would be there as often as you could to watch them progress and grow. THIS IS NOT A MADISONVILLE, VONORE THING! You will never see me wearing the Black & Gold around Sequoyah. I'm a Chief Supporter and thats it. I'm at every practice I watch I see what goes on therefore I don't have to listen to other people to know how the team is doing or whats going on at practice. Maybe I'm wierd or something but I have a love for the game and I can't stay away. I don't stand there and shout things form the stands, I don't get in the coaches ear after a practice, I don't offer my opinions to any coach or player. I sit there and watch and I enjoy what I'm seeing .Believe me this team has improved so much from last year to this year. The best thing for this school is for all of us to keep our noses out of it and let the Principal, the AD and the director all come to an agreement on a coach. That is the way it should be and if all three agree then I will support who ever they decide on.

I know its has already been mentioned, but yes after he left Greenback he went to Grace Christian Academy in Knoxville. He was the head coach of football an also served as the AD for 2yrs. His coaching record there was (6-15) overall; 2005: (2-8) 156-340, and 2006: (4-7) 190-320. His final year there coaching they made the playoffs (first time in program history) but lost to Coalfield in 1st Round 41-0. From what I've heard, via the grape vine, the reason for him to leave was b/c he didn't see eye to eye with the head man and the boys basketball coach (A. Lamb, an there current AD) on certain things. From there he went on to Knoxville Christian where he is currently the AD and boys head basketball coach.

Yes, he had good asst. coaches at Greenback. My father, Ronnie Hudson, an Jerry Masingo were part of the '87 championship season, all four of them coached together for 10+yrs. Some more that have been assistants: Eddie McCollum, Tim Berry, Joe McBrayer(believe? is HC of Union Co. H.S.), Calvin Blevins, Brent Kilpatrick(current HC), David Grissom, Dustin McCarter, Justin Ridge(still on the staff, but was a asst. w/ him at GCA for '05 season), Joey Breedlove, an Gray Williams(was HC for '05 season) there is probably some I've missed, I apologize.

I applied, interviewed and signed a contract with Bob Lovingood to come to Sequoyah. Due to family concerns of my wife at the time we didn't take the job. I think Sequoyah could be a very good place to coach IF the head coach could pick the help he wanted to surround himself with. If the volunteer coaches have as much influence at Sequoyah as it sounds like they do on this board that will never happen. Volunteer coaches are a luxury to have if they know what their job descriptions are. Making decisions that should be made by Monroe County Department of Education employees, ie the hired coaches, should not be part of their job descriptions as volunteers.

I looked up ###### in the dictionary and it said RedChief

Just wanted you to know,a little of it bill 49.Most on here know who u are,and where your from,and i don't think your trying to hide that.But your a coach at Marion ,so worry about you all.Done a little reserch ,went back about 6 years.Your about a 500 club.Hade at least 3 head coachs maybe 4.Are ur volenteers running ur program ,I don't think so,and nither are we, its just things that happen.Even though im a volenteer, i"m still a coach.The diff.between me and you is pay.Would you be coaching if you weren't getting paid .I think not.And i don't come to your thread and put you down,would not do that to another coach.You see there were alot of issues going on here,and i could get on here and tell alot of things ,but out of respect i will not do that.You see theres a few people on here that has a personal issue with us,and if i new who they were i could probably tell what that issue is.They hide behind a screen,and come up with the mean names like slober knocker.Maybe they are using a scare tatic,i don't know.IF u go back and look thats about all slober thinks about,he probably dreams on it.Commen sense would tell someone its personal for him,But hey i don't get mad and i'm not mad at you,but u need to get the other side of the story,because right now you are saying things that you know nothing of.But hey if you would like to here it ,call me,i'll be glad to share what i know with you.Have had alot of calls and seeing alot people around town,and when they ask i'll tell them.

Just wanted you to know,a little of it bill 49.Most on here know who u are,and where your from,and i don't think your trying to hide that.But your a coach at Marion ,so worry about you all.Done a little reserch ,went back about 6 years.Your about a 500 club.Hade at least 3 head coachs maybe 4.Are ur volenteers running ur program ,I don't think so,and nither are we, its just things that happen.Even though im a volenteer, i"m still a coach.The diff.between me and you is pay.Would you be coaching if you weren't getting paid .I think not.And i don't come to your thread and put you down,would not do that to another coach.You see there were alot of issues going on here,and i could get on here and tell alot of things ,but out of respect i will not do that.You see theres a few people on here that has a personal issue with us,and if i new who they were i could probably tell what that issue is.They hide behind a screen,and come up with the mean names like slober knocker.Maybe they are using a scare tatic,i don't know.IF u go back and look thats about all slober thinks about,he probably dreams on it.Commen sense would tell someone its personal for him,But hey i don't get mad and i'm not mad at you,but u need to get the other side of the story,because right now you are saying things that you know nothing of.But hey if you would like to here it ,call me,i'll be glad to share what i know with you.Have had alot of calls and seeing alot people around town,and when they ask i'll tell them.

Fair enough, contact me at bill495049@yahoo.com I have heard several other opinions on what happened. I would also like to hear yours without it being on this website.

Just wanted you to know,a little of it bill 49.Most on here know who u are,and where your from,and i don't think your trying to hide that.But your a coach at Marion ,so worry about you all.Done a little reserch ,went back about 6 years.

go back a little further and look at 1994 and 1995 and you will see that we were not a .500 club. We have had our difficulities in the past few years but better days are ahead... Would you be coaching if you weren't getting paid . No, because I have gone to school and received a degree to be a teacher. Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a teacher and coach. That is what I chose to do with my life. The good Lord has provided me with all I could ever ask for. I have spent more hours than I know in coaches meetings, clinics, and film watching. I can't do it for free since this is how I put food on the table.

So what u r saying is that it is okay to coach at Sequoyah if u r from madisonville(ie; Maurice Moser, Perry Hull, Mike Black, Adam Kefauver, Andy Pennington,..................) but if u ever had anything to do with Vonore than heaven forbid you to even think about coaching at Sequoyah no matter what your credintials r and how well you r known in the state of Tennessee 4 your coaching abilities. The man is obviously passionate about the job or he would not have applied 4 different times. He has told me personally that he would love to coach at least 10 more years and would love to end his career at Sequoyah. That is what we need here is someone with his credintials and committment to the program. This could be what we have all been looking 4 - CONSISTENCY IN THE PROGRAM. I did not mention all of these coachs' names to blast them either. I think that every coach that I mentioned from Madisonville does a great job, and I am glad that the powers to be did not pass on them just because they have ties to Madisonville. All I am trying to say is why go looking for gold when you have it in your own backyard.

If we got a guy like Coach Satterfield and the reputation that comes with him, it might make it a little easier to get him some decent help as well. And if he stayed for several years then maybe that could finally give us the opportunity to build something to be proud of, instead of building something to get laughed at. I also like the fact that he has AD experience that would be good in helping support the other sports. I do not know if he is the best candidate, but the more people on this site that don't want him, the more I like the thought of hiring him. HE SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED How many times did he take a 1A school and give us everything we could handle and sometimes more.

I heard that a parent started a petition to let Coach Gregory do his job and let him be the one to hire the new football coach. This petition would have probably been fine if adults were the ones he had sign it. Instead he had the football players sign it. There is a reason people under the age of 18 can not vote. They can not make rational decisions on their own. Where was this parent when Coach Summey got fired? Why did he not step up and ask the team if the decision should be made to fire Coach Summey? They did not get to put their input in then, so I ask why now. The hiring of a new coach should be made by the powers to be, not just by one individual. I believe that the reason why Mr. Lowry will be involved in this hiring is because of all the controversy that surrounded the firing of Coach Summey.