Science Hill: What will happen? (off-season thread)

FTBMAN

Unfortunately, Science Hill enjoyed much of the same this year. As usual, loads of talent and nothing to show for it. Am I the only one who feels this is deja vu all over again....and again...and again. Is the goal every year to beat DB or is it to develop a winning program???? Coach Smith made an immediate impression-----was that immediate impression borne out in the results this year???? Who made the hiring decision?? Are they pleased???? Are the administrative folks happy ---did they get what they wanted?? Kids need to understand what it takes to be winners-----talking doesn't get the job done. Parents have some responsibility in the scheme of things too. They basically need to support the kids, coaches, etc and leave it at that. Too many parents decide to go ahead and pretend they are coaches too, that they have somehow gained some insight about which kids need to play and where---and ultimately we all know where that ends up don't we?? I have an idea---quit bitching, find a coach who is a proven winner, support the kids and for a brief moment, act like an adult. In a few years nobody will care anyway! It's supposed to be fun.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it disappoints me in the fact this years team had almost NO injures... compared to my senior season (2004) and still only won three games. we were without IMO the best overall QB SH has seen in 5-6 years Brandon Shoun and a WR in Justice Joslin playing QB and still won four games and gave DB a decent game when they were ranked number one in the state, also our three-year starter at fullback JD Scott was down from a S. South scrimmage AND our Pre-season all-state FS Drew Turner was out by the Betsy game to name a few.... we were playing with so much inexperience it was stupid and still managed to win four games. I know it is only one more but the talent level was SO much higher this past season as well as an offense that is exciting, we were running the I-formation with a undersized oline. It just urks me that my team finished better than this MORE talented team... good luck next year... Adams, Kinley, Green, and Smith are going to have to step up big this next year they are the most talented returning IMO.

it disappoints me in the fact this years team had almost NO injures... compared to my senior season (2004) and still only won three games. we were without IMO the best overall QB SH has seen in 5-6 years Brandon Shoun and a WR in Justice Joslin playing QB and still won four games and gave DB a decent game when they were ranked number one in the state, also our three-year starter at fullback JD Scott was down from a S. South scrimmage AND our Pre-season all-state FS Drew Turner was out by the Betsy game to name a few.... we were playing with so much inexperience it was stupid and still managed to win four games. I know it is only one more but the talent level was SO much higher this past season as well as an offense that is exciting, we were running the I-formation with a undersized oline. It just urks me that my team finished better than this MORE talented team... good luck next year... Adams, Kinley, Green, and Smith are going to have to step up big this next year they are the most talented returning IMO.

Yeh...that year was the one that many of us looked forward to, but it was simply not to be. That one could not be laid on the coaching or the players. It was just part of the game. As for your last statement...those guys need to step up as athletes and young men and play the game as a team with no showboating, trash talking, or off-field escapades. Plenty of talent...but it has to be blended with discipline. If Coach Smith is ready to insist on that (and I have NOT seen evidence of it yet...but it can still happen) this team could be quite good.

Unfortunately, Science Hill enjoyed much of the same this year. As usual, loads of talent and nothing to show for it. Am I the only one who feels this is deja vu all over again....and again...and again. Is the goal every year to beat DB or is it to develop a winning program???? Coach Smith made an immediate impression-----was that immediate impression borne out in the results this year???? Who made the hiring decision?? Are they pleased???? Are the administrative folks happy ---did they get what they wanted?? Kids need to understand what it takes to be winners-----talking doesn't get the job done. Parents have some responsibility in the scheme of things too. They basically need to support the kids, coaches, etc and leave it at that. Too many parents decide to go ahead and pretend they are coaches too, that they have somehow gained some insight about which kids need to play and where---and ultimately we all know where that ends up don't we?? I have an idea---quit bitching, find a coach who is a proven winner, support the kids and for a brief moment, act like an adult. In a few years nobody will care anyway! It's supposed to be fun.

If you wanted a winning program...we had that...but were we the "best we could be"? The reason the goal is to beat DB is they are the perennial (sp) champion of the conference. If you are beating them it is likely you are beating everyone else as well. Anyone that doesn't respect that program is not being rational or objective. Coach Clark has done more with less than any high school coach I have seen in my many years of watching and playing football. I believe that is what most of the people who say that beating DB is a priority really mean.

I agree with your post in most aspects. I do believe that parents play a large role in the discipline issue that I bring up time and time again. With some of the things that have gone on in the past and this year...if it had been my kid, the least of their worries would have been what the coaches were going to do to them. Also, whether you believe the kid should be playing at that position or not...support the kids! Even if you feel that your kid should be in their place...support the kid.

If you wanted a winning program...we had that...but were we the "best we could be"? The reason the goal is to beat DB is they are the perennial (sp) champion of the conference. If you are beating them it is likely you are beating everyone else as well. Anyone that doesn't respect that program is not being rational or objective. Coach Clark has done more with less than any high school coach I have seen in my many years of watching and playing football. I believe that is what most of the people who say that beating DB is a priority really mean.

I agree with your post in most aspects. I do believe that parents play a large role in the discipline issue that I bring up time and time again. With some of the things that have gone on in the past and this year...if it had been my kid, the least of their worries would have been what the coaches were going to do to them. Also, whether you believe the kid should be playing at that position or not...support the kids! Even if you feel that your kid should be in their place...support the kid.

To get science hill to being a winner year in and year out they must start doing things the right way. When i say that I mean we must get the politics out of who is being put on the field. i go to other parts of the state and it is not who you know but who is working the hardest that gets the pt (playing time). Right now if our players are not playing another sport they should be in the weight room. Lets try to lay the foudation down to have a great program that all can be proud of but we must stop playing players because who they parents are or are not it must stop for us to go foward. I know alot of people are going to say that is not the case at science hill. Another thing if coach smith is going to be the coach then we must support him regardless of what you think. If you are a parent you cannot go to the kitchen table at night and be crtical of the coaching staff and expect the player to go to practice with a good attitude. you have more influence than you think. Science Hill fans do not worry about wins we must do things right then the wins will follow.

Some of you guys continue to amaze me either you can't read or comprehend about smitty.

Go back...take out his short tenure at Ezell Harding a private school......after that is taken out....show me where smitty has gotten anything done with public school kids. Do your research. Heck, make some phone calls back to where he has coached. He talks the talk but WON'T and CAN'T walk the walk.

You guys have a huge blow-up coming.....you just don't know when. I told a bunch of Indy people about him and got some of the same responses. He probably felt that he had left a disaster at Indy....and believe me the big talk, lies , and false promises could have done it...BUT... the school promoted a great assistant who pulled the guys together(several of the same ones who went down the tubes last year) and you have a team in INDY who is playing in the 5A state-semi-finals and not one person there will give smitty any credit because he didn't earn anything.

But Indy turned it around and look at them today....look at you....get it????

Some of you guys continue to amaze me either you can't read or comprehend about smitty.

Go back...take out his short tenure at Ezell Harding a private school......after that is taken out....show me where smitty has gotten anything done with public school kids. Do your research. Heck, make some phone calls back to where he has coached. He talks the talk but WON'T and CAN'T walk the walk.

You guys have a huge blow-up coming.....you just don't know when. I told a bunch of Indy people about him and got some of the same responses. He probably felt that he had left a disaster at Indy....and believe me the big talk, lies , and false promises could have done it...BUT... the school promoted a great assistant who pulled the guys together(several of the same ones who went down the tubes last year) and you have a team in INDY who is playing in the 5A state-semi-finals and not one person there will give smitty any credit because he didn't earn anything.

Well...I prefer to be optimistic and hope that we all (including me) learn from our mistakes as we go along. At least that is what I sincerely hope for at SH.

In thinking back about the year as a whole, it has been incredible how much capital that a new coach starts with that he used up in one short year. There was a lot of talk and still is for that matter with little results. The kids had better really stink it up and get after it in the off season if they want to win because they will have to overcome more than just the other team.

To get science hill to being a winner year in and year out they must start doing things the right way. When i say that I mean we must get the politics out of who is being put on the field. i go to other parts of the state and it is not who you know but who is working the hardest that gets the pt (playing time). Right now if our players are not playing another sport they should be in the weight room. Lets try to lay the foudation down to have a great program that all can be proud of but we must stop playing players because who they parents are or are not it must stop for us to go foward. I know alot of people are going to say that is not the case at science hill. Another thing if coach smith is going to be the coach then we must support him regardless of what you think. If you are a parent you cannot go to the kitchen table at night and be crtical of the coaching staff and expect the player to go to practice with a good attitude. you have more influence than you think. Science Hill fans do not worry about wins we must do things right then the wins will follow.

Don't understand this post as I didn't see any players out there that I thought were out there because of there parents influence except maybe the quarterback mess. Anyway who plays is Smith's call and surely he is not that easily influenced as he seems to do what he wants in other situations reguardless of the outcome so I would think he plays the players of his choice.

Don't understand this post as I didn't see any players out there that I thought were out there because of there parents influence except maybe the quarterback mess. Anyway who plays is Smith's call and surely he is not that easily influenced as he seems to do what he wants in other situations reguardless of the outcome so I would think he plays the players of his choice.

topper 1 do you not think the quaterback mess was enough to mess a team up i think so. You may want to admit or not something was not right with that . i do believe with most of the players on the field was smith choice but it takes only one to mess up the chemistry on your team. i knew somebody in the topper nation would say what you said but if one kid is given special treatment then they all will be asking for the same thing as i stated in my post if you do things the right way the wins will come.

topper 1 do you not think the quaterback mess was enough to mess a team up i think so. You may want to admit or not something was not right with that . i do believe with most of the players on the field was smith choice but it takes only one to mess up the chemistry on your team. i knew somebody in the topper nation would say what you said but if one kid is given special treatment then they all will be asking for the same thing as i stated in my post if you do things the right way the wins will come.

Agree, the quarterback situation definitely had a negative impact on the team.