MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

Best two teams in the state.......toss up as to who will win

I think this one may look a lot like a game from the mid-'60's: heavy emphasis on defense, coupled with a strong reliance on the running game. Neither team passes a great deal; neither really has to do so, as they have the line and the backfield to control the game on the ground. MBA has passed relatively well when they've chosen to pass, and my understanding is that BA's passing game has improved considerably in the last few weeks.

If it comes down to special teams, I think you have to give it to MBA in terms of place-kicking, though their punting has been a bit inconsistent lately. To whoever raised the point regarding the width of college uprights vs. HS uprights, please keep such thoughts to yourself. It's bad enough that the antics of a group of teenagers 800 miles away exerts this much influence on me; I certainly don't need you to add worries like that to an already bad situation.

I wouldn't venture a prediction on this one, just the hope that it's a game where one team plays a little better than the other and wins it, as opposed to one team's mistake costing them the game. Unless it's a BA's mistake; I'm a little weak-willed and inconsistent that way.

I'm interested in the thoughts of other MBA fans or the BA faithful (AKA, "The Unwashed"). Bitter Ryan fans need not reply: simply go on doing whatever it is you do from November (late October for you most years) until August, a time of year we call the off-season.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to be in the stands for this one, should be a very physical ball game.

This Chris Jordan can not be stopped talk reminds me of the David Holbert and Theo Townsend can not be stopped talk that MBA put an end to in the 02 Clinic Bowl after being beaten @ BA 31-6 prior to that ball game. BTW I think MBA fans have every right to be bitter about the 03 Halloween game @ BA, because it was a joke. MBA got robbed plain and simple but they got their revenge (and then some) in the Clinic Bowl later in the year.

Hope to see an injury free game. The only prediction I'll make is that Chris Jordan won't rush for more yards than Josh Tate did in the Big Red's victory earlier this season. Tate carried something like 17 or 18 times for nearly 120 yards, if I remember correctly.

My hat goes off to Coach McGugin and Coach Potter, they've both done very well in their first year as HC at their respective schools. Should be some great games between the two of them for a LONG LONG time.

This is the first time i have commented on a BA/MBA game, actually.

HA. Actually I definitely remember you from the last game and you were saying the exact same stuff... and look what happened. This will be a great game. Have respect for your opponent and remember you LOST to mba already this season so you have no reason to talk. Cant wait.

HA. Actually I definitely remember you from the last game and you were saying the exact same stuff... and look what happened. This will be a great game. Have respect for your opponent and remember you LOST to mba already this season so you have no reason to talk. Cant wait.

No, I looked at the last BA/MBA thread, and my account hadnt even been created when they played.

You're wrong, I am right. Thats how it usually is anyway.

No, I looked at the last BA/MBA thread, and my account hadnt even been created when they played.

You're wrong, I am right. Thats how it usually is anyway.

Hadouken, do your parents ever ground you from their computer?

kwoodruff...I'm looking forward to Waddey playing this time against BA. One of his knees was operated on earlier in the season and he missed the regular season BA game. Vinsang, Waddey and Bartholomew present a formidable rushing threat which should open up some passing lanes for Spencer Wise (who's only thrown one interception this season). I'm expecting BA DC Mickey Jacobs to play more man than zone coverage so that he can put an extra man in the box to stop MBA's run game. For BA to win, they will have to slow MBA's rushing attack and pass successfully, while minimizing mistakes especially penalties and fumbles, and force MBA to turn the ball over. Since the split, these teams have played 15 times with MBA winning 11. One reason MBA's run game has been so successful is because Wise has been so accurate throwing the ball and MBA has thrown selectively, but successfully to keep drives alive. I look for MBA to try and throw the ball more in this game than in previous contests in order to keep BA off-balance and guessing a little on defense. MBA's defense is allowing, on average, only one TD per game. Can Coach Potter devise a game plan that will enable BA to score more than one TD. I think this game will be close with the team that makes the fewest mistakes and executes their offense the best winning. In closing, MBA has an edge in the kicking game with its place kicker Andrew Fletcher. He consistently kicks off into the end zone and, as you may remember, hit two field goals, one a 49-yarder, against BA.

I can't wait to be in the stands for this one, should be a very physical ball game.

This Chris Jordan can not be stopped talk reminds me of the David Holbert and Theo Townsend can not be stopped talk that MBA put an end to in the 02 Clinic Bowl after being beaten @ BA 31-6 prior to that ball game. BTW I think MBA fans have every right to be bitter about the 03 Halloween game @ BA, because it was a joke. MBA got robbed plain and simple but they got their revenge (and then some) in the Clinic Bowl later in the year.

Hope to see an injury free game. The only prediction I'll make is that Chris Jordan won't rush for more yards than Josh Tate did in the Big Red's victory earlier this season. Tate carried something like 17 or 18 times for nearly 120 yards, if I remember correctly.

My hat goes off to Coach McGugin and Coach Potter, they've both done very well in their first year as HC at their respective schools. Should be some great games between the two of them for a LONG LONG time.

Ouch! That hurts bringing up the 2002 Clinic Bowl. That was totally different. That was not going to be a classic match-up. That was coronation for BA. MBA did not have a chance in that game - supposedly. Great coaching and heart trumped talent. Chris Jordan can't beat MBA. We will have to complete some big passes.

I will not bet against your prediction about Josh Tate. We had better pass for more yards or it will be bad news. I think we will.

The problem with the Halloween game is not as bad as you think. There was an extensive investigation and the results were in the Tennessean. The Comcast broadcast clock and the actual clock were not synchronized, which made it appear incorrect. The actual game films show there was time on the clock. The official was sanctioned, however, for hurrying too much to get the ball set for the field goal. So, technically you are right, but maybe for a different reason.

. . . please keep in mind that the "Chris Jordan can not be stopped" talk does not seem to be coming from BA supporters -- it seems to be coming from others who have a significant hang up about MBA . . . can't image who that is. It is a little surprizing that the '03 Halloween game still brings up so much emotion from MBA fans given the ultimate outcome that year. I feel certain that every BA fan would have traded victories. I guess that's what makes rivalries interesting.

I do think that the emergence of BA's passing game could be the difference, although C. Nelsons seems to be either on or off. He has had some great games towards the end of the season, but I think he needs to start strong. Hit one or two right off the bat to get his confidence up. If he starts cold, I'm not sure he will be able to get it going. Chris Jordan will make a difference -- he is a talent that MBA will have to account for. I'm not predicting he'll run up and donw the field, but he will get some yards and will make a difference to BA's offensive output.

BA 24

MBA 14