MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son plays O-Line for MBA, and I asked him about the encroachment calls. He said that BA had an offensive lineman consistantly lining up offside. As far as the the illegal procedure calls against MBA he said that the BA players were barking out the cadence. That is something the officials are suppose to pay attention to, but hey who knows.

I would like to make a comment about the the venue. I hate to play this game in front of 40,000 empty seats. There was no atmosphere in the stadium. On top of the fact the boys have to adjust to a new environment. The hash marks are closer together then on a high school field, the goal post are narrower, and they have a 25 second clock working at both ends. I was told that part of the trouble for both teams ws that the 25 second clock reset faster then the officials did during the season.

Having said all of that I think I speak for all MBA players, coaches and fans when I say we will play in the parking lot if need be. Bring on the best of 4A, or 5A, we will play them. We might lose but we wont dodge them.

Add another Silver Ball to our collection. We lead the state in losses in the state chammpionship game. What is that now....0-4 vs. MBA in the state championship game???

Will Coach Potter's career go the same route as Coach Tom Moore? I hear an old head coach is looking for work.

In all seriousness, congrats to the defense. Coach Jacobs is an old school Eagle and he makes us proud.

No need to go there BRD. Maryville has a fine 4A program. I have tons of respect for George and what he has built there.

We all know that Maryville has been the dominant 4A program for several years; there has been much speculation as to how Maryville would compete against MBA or BA. In a single game match up against either BA or MBA, it would probably be a close game.

The difference in what makes MBA and BA better over all programs is the schedule they play. Not only do MBA and BA play a much tougher conference schedule than Maryville does in 4A East TN; their out of conference games are against the best that 4A and 5A have to offer. As BA found out when it moved up from 2A and ultimately into D-II, playing quality opponents every week takes its effect on a team. Your starters are playing much deeper into the game each week, and you lose more of those starters to injury throughout the season resulting in much greater challenges as the playoffs arrive.

Maryville has a fantastic program, but it does not compete at the highest level in the State; therefore, it will continue to dominate 4A ball and know that as good as they are, they still do not compete against the best the state has to offer.

Tennessee does not have enough schools to justify 7 divisions. Reduce it to three divisions again, and we don't have to speculate what would happen in an MBA-Maryville game (or whoever is reckoned to be the top two teams that don't meet in a play-off game).

I guess this will be my last post as BigRedDad, since my son is one of the Seniors on this team. I guess I will have to change to BigRedFan or something.

I want to say something about this group of young men in general and the seniors specifically. None of us, not even the parents can know how hard they worked and what sacrifices they made to achieve this championship. When other teams were practicing inside because it was 105 degrees back in August, these boys practiced in the heat. They had to adjust to new coaches, and new schemes. At the same time keeping up with a very demanding academic schedule.

Occasionally a school is blessed with outstanding leadership from their Senior class. This group of seniors (all of them, not just football players) have been outstanding from the time they entered in 7th grade. There are 14 National Merit Scholars in this class, not the highest number in the state, but by far the highest percentage of the class. I expect that 100% of the boys will go to college, some of them to the most prestegious Universities in the country. I seriously doubt that you will hear of any of our DI signee's not qualifiying academically.

Oh yes and just in case you are saying to yourself, "ok MBA had a great group of seniors but now they are finished", for the 1st time in 110 years of MBA football ALL of the High School teams were undefeated this year...Freshman, JV, and Varsity. So for all of us Big Red fans the party ain't over, it is just getting started.

Add another Silver Ball to our collection. We lead the state in losses in the state chammpionship game. What is that now....0-4 vs. MBA in the state championship game???

Will Coach Potter's career go the same route as Coach Tom Moore? I hear an old head coach is looking for work.

In all seriousness, congrats to the defense. Coach Jacobs is an old school Eagle and he makes us proud.

From years past, I remember you to be an imposter in the BA family. Your name pokes fun at BA.

No need to go there BRD. Maryville has a fine 4A program. I have tons of respect for George and what he has built there.

We all know that Maryville has been the dominant 4A program for several years; there has been much speculation as to how Maryville would compete against MBA or BA. In a single game match up against either BA or MBA, it would probably be a close game.

The difference in what makes MBA and BA better over all programs is the schedule they play. Not only do MBA and BA play a much tougher conference schedule than Maryville does in 4A East TN; their out of conference games are against the best that 4A and 5A have to offer. As BA found out when it moved up from 2A and ultimately into D-II, playing quality opponents every week takes its effect on a team. Your starters are playing much deeper into the game each week, and you lose more of those starters to injury throughout the season resulting in much greater challenges as the playoffs arrive.

Maryville has a fantastic program, but it does not compete at the highest level in the State; therefore, it will continue to dominate 4A ball and know that as good as they are, they still do not compete against the best the state has to offer.

Sounds like you said/believe the same thing I said. As I said in my post....Maryville is small, yet well coached and has confidence they can win, but they are not an MBA. They also don't wish to play great teams unlike Smyrna or Indy does. Neither team HAD to play BA or MBA and take a loss, but look where both teams are....one game away from the state championship. I wish this MBA team could have played in the Herbstriet Classic....

I guess this will be my last post as BigRedDad, since my son is one of the Seniors on this team. I guess I will have to change to BigRedFan or something.I want to say something about this group of young men in general and the seniors specifically. None of us, not even the parents can know how hard they worked and what sacrifices they made to achieve this championship. When other teams were practicing inside because it was 105 degrees back in August, these boys practiced in the heat. They had to adjust to new coaches, and new schemes. At the same time keeping up with a very demanding academic schedule.Occasionally a school is blessed with outstanding leadership from their Senior class. This group of seniors (all of them, not just football players) have been outstanding from the time they entered in 7th grade. There are 14 National Merit Scholars in this class, not the highest number in the state, but by far the highest percentage of the class. I expect that 100% of the boys will go to college, some of them to the most prestegious Universities in the country. I seriously doubt that you will hear of any of our DI signee's not qualifiying academically.Oh yes and just in case you are saying to yourself, "ok MBA had a great group of seniors but now they are finished", for the 1st time in 110 years of MBA football ALL of the High School teams were undefeated this year...Freshman, JV, and Varsity. So for all of us Big Red fans the party ain't over, it is just getting started.

No need to change your name; you'll still be a Big Red dad, just the dad of an alumnus.I find myself wondering if this might not be the best team MBA has ever fielded, and I'm fully cognizant of the gravity of that statement. I'm not sure any other MBA team has gone undefeated in a season with the caliber of competition this team faced. Consider that MBA beat undefeated teams from Hillsboro, Ensworth, Ryan and BA, the latter three deep in the season (and Ensworth at full strength). They followed these regular season wins by beating Ryan and BA a second time in the playoffs. The Ryan score speaks for itself. And while the BA scores were very close (nobody will ever run them out of the stadium, nor will they throw in the towel), certainly there's very little argument that MBA controlled and dominated the game.The teams from '66-'68 (unbeaten, one tie during that period) and the '70-'71 (one tie, loss to Covington in playoffs) teams certainly had great runs, but their seasons only went 11 games. The MBA team that won the state championship in Michael Fisher's senior year was great, but they had a loss (I'm a bottom line man, the game was settled on the field...I also quibble with MBA's claim to the win at Bolles. Always go with the scoreboard).I can't really speak to the teams of the mid-'80's through '90's, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.

I wish this MBA team could have played in the Herbstriet Classic....

Amen!

Sounds like you said/believe the same thing I said. As I said in my post....Maryville is small, yet well coached and has confidence they can win, but they are not an MBA. They also don't wish to play great teams unlike Smyrna or Indy does. Neither team HAD to play BA or MBA and take a loss, but look where both teams are....one game away from the state championship. I wish this MBA team could have played in the Herbstriet Classic....

100, we are on the same page. I was simply recommending to the Big Red Dog that there is no need to speculate on the outcome of a Maryville/MBA contest. With the schedules that teams like BA and MBA play, going 13-0 in this division speaks for itself. MBA is the best team in the State, much like BA was last year...

Let Maryville be proud of what they accomplish; they should be. George has built a 4A dynasty there! For Maryville fans, that is stated in complete respect not in a condescending tone. I know how people tend to take statements on this board the wrong way; don't do it with that statement.

All the way from Dyersburg Tennessee CONGRATS MBA, and especially COACH COUNCE THE DAD, AND COACH COUNCE JR (Tiny)

We are all so proud for you guys........I am sure that Ms Donna was watching from her top row seat.

Coach Counce, Jr. actually got the first Gatorade shower last night from the players.

I read quite a bit of praise about the Counces from Dyersburg in the spring after they were hired at MBA. I'm sure they played an instrumental role in this season's championship run.

I haven't met either of the two, but they both look tough as nails. I'm glad for them for the great season, as hopefully it will help their school and life transition go slightly easier.

Occasionally a school is blessed with outstanding leadership from their Senior class. This group of seniors (all of them, not just football players) have been outstanding from the time they entered in 7th grade. There are 14 National Merit Scholars in this class, not the highest number in the state, but by far the highest percentage of the class. I expect that 100% of the boys will go to college, some of them to the most prestegious Universities in the country. I seriously doubt that you will hear of any of our DI signee's not qualifiying academically.

Oh yes and just in case you are saying to yourself, "ok MBA had a great group of seniors but now they are finished", for the 1st time in 110 years of football ALL of the High School teams were undefeated this year...Freshman, JV, and Varsity. So for all of us Big Red fans the party ain't over, it is just getting started.

To piggyback those sentiments, this was the first year in which "The EHS Effect" was fully in play, and while one year is hardly a proxy for the future, I do agree, I feel good about the future. Yes, EHS is and will be a fine school (and I think EHS will just add to Middle Tennessee's dominance in DII football), and I am all for Nashville having another great school like EHS that can succeed athletically and academically at the same time, but MBA not only won the first battle on the football field, but it also had 28% of its senior class recognized as National Merit Semifinalists or Commended Students, versus about 9% for EHS. Those National Merit numbers are very encouraging, especially given that the "they've played 1,000 games; we've played six games" argument is less applicable in the academic arena.

MBA's freshman were indeed dominant this year, and that finale dubbing of a good Father Ryan squad was especially nice. MBA may have to rely on some of those rising sophomores next year as MBA loses quite a few players.