Unaka Rangers

truerangerfan

Monday night, Unaka High School Junior Varsity played Science Hill in a great game. I noticed that the two junior coaches from Hunter Elementary used the majority of players that attended Hunter Elementary School and most of the bench warmers were from Unaka Elementary. What kind of signal is this sending to the creekers? If you want to play basketball at the high school level, you MUST attend Hunter Elementary School. Also, this was a junior varsity game and the majority of players were freshmen. Are we just going to forget the seniors and juniors on the varsity? Then forget the sophomores on the junior varsity and just put all of our eggs in a basket with the up and coming freshmen? (Unless you are from Unaka Elementary!) I guess since we are building a new program, we need to take all the talent Hunter can give us and just forget anyone coming from any other school. (Keenburg included) I'll admit, there were some good players on the floor, but there were good players on the bench as well. For every good thing done by a couple players, they did two bad ones, but they still played. I'm guessing because they were from Hunter Elementary School. I've noticed that Unaka has changed in the last couple of years. My opinion, is it's not been for the better. Looking at the varsity, most players are from Hunter Elementary School. I guess in four years, you CAN run all the players from Unaka Elementary out. Why let them try out? Why even have a basketball program at Unaka Elementary School? I actually thought that the playing field was even and coaches took what talent they had and made it better, but I guess that only counts if you come from Hunter. Unaka players must just be practice fodder. How nice that they can serve a purpose. There's a divide in the ranks of the program at Unaka High School. This will only poison anything and everything. I guess the basketball court is just as political as getting a job in carter county. I'll be looking to see just how far Hunter can take us and just how long it will take to run all the Unaka Elementary players off. Great job guys!!

just from reading your post i am assuming your child didn't get to play. what was the final score in the game because i am sure science hill has a very strong team? if they kept it close give unaka credit. it hard for freshman parents to realize that high school basketball is no longer jr high nor youth club. coaches are going to put the best players out on the floor. judge them by how the team does and not your child's playingtime. i doubt if they care what jr. high program any of them came out of. unaka has some good coaches who will get that program back on track.

Monday night, Unaka High School Junior Varsity played Science Hill in a great game. I noticed that the two junior coaches from Hunter Elementary used the majority of players that attended Hunter Elementary School and most of the bench warmers were from Unaka Elementary. What kind of signal is this sending to the creekers? If you want to play basketball at the high school level, you MUST attend Hunter Elementary School. Also, this was a junior varsity game and the majority of players were freshmen. Are we just going to forget the seniors and juniors on the varsity? Then forget the sophomores on the junior varsity and just put all of our eggs in a basket with the up and coming freshmen? (Unless you are from Unaka Elementary!) I guess since we are building a new program, we need to take all the talent Hunter can give us and just forget anyone coming from any other school. (Keenburg included) I'll admit, there were some good players on the floor, but there were good players on the bench as well. For every good thing done by a couple players, they did two bad ones, but they still played. I'm guessing because they were from Hunter Elementary School. I've noticed that Unaka has changed in the last couple of years. My opinion, is it's not been for the better. Looking at the varsity, most players are from Hunter Elementary School. I guess in four years, you CAN run all the players from Unaka Elementary out. Why let them try out? Why even have a basketball program at Unaka Elementary School? I actually thought that the playing field was even and coaches took what talent they had and made it better, but I guess that only counts if you come from Hunter. Unaka players must just be practice fodder. How nice that they can serve a purpose. There's a divide in the ranks of the program at Unaka High School. This will only poison anything and everything. I guess the basketball court is just as political as getting a job in carter county. I'll be looking to see just how far Hunter can take us and just how long it will take to run all the Unaka Elementary players off. Great job guys!!

One reason for there being no seniors or juniors on the varsity from Unaka Elementary is probably because none of them even came out except for Colbaugh and Peters which gave it up to focus on baseball. Don't be mad because your kid isn't getting the playing time you think he deserves. Trust me theres more than likely a reason why he not. Maybe it could be to motivate the kid to work harder in practice. Look at the situation from a coaching standpoint instead of a parents. This may help you see things more clearly.

Mam or Sir think of the statement you just made. There is no coach going to take a kids playing time away under the circumstances of what elementary or middle school he went to period. Look at it in a coaches perspective. A coach is going to put the 5 on the floor that he feels is going to give them the best chance of winning a basketball game and what is working the best for the team not one individual player or the way a parent see's the game from the stands. Most of these coaches are around your kids for atleast 3 or 4 hours a day 5 or 6 days out of the week trying to make them better kids inside the classroom and on the basketball floor. Try to put yourself in there shoes and take the responsiblity of working with 21 to 22 kids not only on the floor but off the floor and in the classroom.

They are trying to prepare these younger kids the best way they can and there is no coach going to jeprodize the team by playing favorites he is going to put the line up on the floor that he feels his team has the better chance of competing and winning basketball games not what school a player comes from.

Now leave the coaching to the guys on the sidelines that's around them on the court and that know's your kids capabilities and get a different view of not just your kid but look at whats best for the team not me as an individual.

maybe it's time to look at changeing the coach at unaka elem. seems to me that is where the problem lies. sometimes players come in behind and it's hard for the highschool coaches to make up the ground in one or even two years these coaches will play the best and try to develop as many as possible but you must admit it's hard to start out in a hole.just a thought.look at the past when there were strong coaches at both schools.

WOW!!!!!!! I thought the game was well played and well coached! Mr.daddy or Mrs. mommy, maby just maby, little junior should be held responsible for his playing time or lack thereof. The best players played in this game. This is not youth club, grow up mommy and daddy!!!!!!!!! I really really really like where this young talented group of players and coaches are going, it's refreshing to see after last year. Are you sure that you are a RANGER? You don't type like it!!!!!!!!!!

My son plays for Cloudland Jr. high this year but every year prior to this one when he played youth club it was Hunter not Unaka that we were fighting it out for the Championship against. From my observations(takem or leavem) the Hunter teams were much more fundamentally sound teams. I'm sure your Jr. high coaches aren't trying to run any Unaka players off, but they will continue to play the most fundamentally sound players they have available as they should. It's not youth club anymore, they are not required to play everyone a quarter. I tell my son to practice harder than everyone on the floor and he will see the results for himself.( he's a 6th grader playing 7th and 8th)

I am not from Unaka but I was present at last nights game. I was really impressed by unaka and the hustle that all the kids on the floor had. I actually was there watching a friends son, who plays for Science Hill, but would have to admit that they simply got out hustled and were made to look lazy and out of sorts the majority of the game. I don't have a personal dog in the fight and don't know what goes on other times at Unaka, but I would have to say that I would be proud of the boys there for the game they played. I can only speculate that I believe that for the most part the Unaka coach had the right players on the court at the right time. They worked together and I am not sure they missed more than one free throw the whole game. It just so happened that Science Hill got back into the swing of things toward the end of the game and won it on a buzzer beater in overtime. If it wasn't for the unforgiving play of Science Hill's #24 I would have to guess they would have lost by atleast 25 or 30! That kid is unreal. I actually, until this moment, was under the impression that Unaka was all freshman, because they were playing Science Hills freshman team. I would have to agree with other posters that if you are that concerned about your child not getting the playing time that you believe he deserves, the best advice I have for you is for your child to work relentlessly and take the choice out of the coaches hands. It doesn't matter who the coach is, if your child is the best player out there, they will have no choice but too play him, otherwise I suggest that they get, and stay in the gym until they are. Goodluck to the Rangers on the rest of there season, it looks like they are on there way to a good one!

Go HILL!

First off, I just want everyone to know that I went to UES. BUT its easy to see why there aren't freshmen playing much from UES. UES was terible last year. I mean they lost to Range. RANGE!

Everybody already knows you went to UES. Thats where all the great county waterboys come from. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />