Riverdale Offseason Thread

CantStopTheChop

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the new squad recover from losing alot of seniors and from an upset from Wilson Central?

I know I speak for everybody in the region when I say "I sure hope not!" /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

jk

but in all seriousness you have seen the underclassmen as well as the freshman and middle school talent coming up to riverdale as well as what others in the region have and by any unbiased analysis the scale is tipping away from riverdale. You should have a better view thatn anybody - you saw the talent level that was ahead of you and the talent level of what is following.

In my opinion riverdale will be a very solid program and will be one of the teams in the hunt most years just like 6 or 7 other teams.

heres a better question - what do you see for riverdales future?

it has been a no brainer for a long time...that riverdale would win the region and challenge for the state championship

most years...people were hoping for an upset by the one or two teams in region 4-5a that might have a chance to do so...but until last year in the playoffs...it never happened

in 2005...it was said that was the worst talent in the freshmen class that had come through riverdale in a longtime and the last two years it might have been worse...

so logic would tell you that ...NO... riverdale will not win the region next year or in years to come...but until that happens on the field...no one will believe it...riverdale's trackrecord is way to long

add to that really good talent showing up else where in the region...

as i have said before...riverdale is the standard...and it will be along time before that standard is topped by riverdale or anyone else in the region

next year should be really interesting and exciting for 5 or 6 teams

right now im way more interested in where many of these riverdale seniors will be inking with on signing day. also if we have a Mr. Football winner in Ladarius Verge or David Spurlock.

as far as next year, a playoff team is whats expected. they should be able to meet that goal. speaking on that 2005 freshman team (which is the class of 2009 next years seniors), it doesnt help that they lost 2 of their better players to other region schools. BJ Nelson to Oakland and Dakota Woods to smyrna.

big issue next year is im anticipating we might have to start sophmores on the lines on both sides of the ball. recently only guy to do that was Ladarius Verge and he turned out alright, so you never know.

I have a weird outlook on this. I don't see it as R'dale slipping down, but OTHER teams in the Region playing UP to R'dales level. Trick now is whether we can take it to yet an even HIGHER level.

Yes we are losing alot of Senior leadership, but that has happened every year that I have been following them. The NEW Seniors will just have to know it is THEIR time to step up for the TEAM!

I think the Jr's (next yrs Sr's) that did not get the playing time they would have liked bc of the great starters Riverdale had this year will step up & fill those slots. I think they are wanting to Prove that they can fill those slots maybe not in a Spurlock or Verge kind of way but in a Team & whatever it takes kind of way. These guys were hungry this year to play & did not get that chance so I sense they are already working toward preparing themselves for a great year.. Lets hope Someone steps up and takes on a leadership role & pulls them together!! lets also hope that the coaches learn as much from this year as the players that stood on the sidelines did.. Go WARRIORS!! best of LUCK!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

this is an area that is hard to judge as opposed to years past...before we would get a big lead in the 3rd and 4th QTR and we would see our next years team play in most of our games and get game experience well these past 2 years there has been very few chances with them to get that MUCH needed game expereince..so it is hard to really gage how our next group of players will be i did like some of the things from cody west at QB...but i bet he play no more than 10 minutes the whole year ...

as far as we wont have the talent anymore they have been saying that since alvin duke so i will wait and see the final result next year...as long as we run the wing T i still dont think we will win state it is like i said last year...we will go 9-1 or 8-2 during the seaason but in the playoffs the better coaches and defenses will stop it

the weird thing is now teams run wing t offenses but there are clearly 2 diffirent versions

riverdale runs what I call the classic wing t emphasizing running with power and ball control and throwing is not in the plan of attaack. This is the version if you get it stopped they have no plan b. Adeylott said several times on the saturday coaches show he does not like to throw the ball.

wc is wing t in name only. they do have a wing t component but rely much more on sweeps and will pass the ball on any down. The biggest thing that has lead to their success is the willingness to break the bone so to speak at various times.

I have heard riverdales demise for years bur there is a huge difference usually it was because they lost a star player like dave or gaston and the freshman were usually undefeated and central middle was feeding them all their players.

The difference is this time riverdale is losing more core players than ever and they cant count on getting reloaded with talent every year.

you are right riverdaleman they will always be good adeylott is good enough at running the wing t to be in every game but as you said that very wing t will also keep whoever they are playing in the games also.

you know smyrna losses a couple pretty good players after this year so lets just say its no time for me to throwing stones /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

look next year though for shad to change the offense we have 3 huge lineman coming up to go along with eady.With Bryson and the other freshman tb look for run run run.

the weird thing is now teams run wing t offenses but there are clearly 2 diffirent versions

riverdale runs what I call the classic wing t emphasizing running with power and ball control and throwing is not in the plan of attaack. This is the version if you get it stopped they have no plan b. Adeylott said several times on the saturday coaches show he does not like to throw the ball.

wc is wing t in name only. they do have a wing t component but rely much more on sweeps and will pass the ball on any down. The biggest thing that has lead to their success is the willingness to break the bone so to speak at various times.

I have heard riverdales demise for years bur there is a huge difference usually it was because they lost a star player like dave or gaston and the freshman were usually undefeated and central middle was feeding them all their players.

The difference is this time riverdale is losing more core players than ever and they cant count on getting reloaded with talent every year.

you are right riverdaleman they will always be good adeylott is good enough at running the wing t to be in every game but as you said that very wing t will also keep whoever they are playing in the games also.

you know smyrna losses a couple pretty good players after this year so lets just say its no time for me to throwing stones /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

look next year though for shad to change the offense we have 3 huge lineman coming up to go along with eady.With Bryson and the other freshman tb look for run run run.

that is one thing that coach shad has always done he has ADJUSTED TO HIS TALENT and not made his talent adjust to him ie larry daniels luke powell wolke and then sonny

this is an area that is hard to judge as opposed to years past...before we would get a big lead in the 3rd and 4th QTR and we would see our next years team play in most of our games and get game experience well these past 2 years there has been very few chances with them to get that MUCH needed game expereince..so it is hard to really gage how our next group of players will be i did like some of the things from cody west at QB...but i bet he play no more than 10 minutes the whole year ...

as far as we wont have the talent anymore they have been saying that since alvin duke so i will wait and see the final result next year...as long as we run the wing T i still dont think we will win state it is like i said last year...we will go 9-1 or 8-2 during the seaason but in the playoffs the better coaches and defenses will stop it

you keep saying you dont like the wing-t but have you really seen the wing before , if so then you know that the backs that were in were not a good fit for the wing this yr

I'll go out on a limb and say that 2008 Riverdale wins as many games as 2007 Riverdale. Where they get those wins and and how far they go in the playoffs will be the question. That will also require that the coaching staff do a much better job in the off-season preparing the team. Nobody needs to step up more than this coaching staff does...and I believe they will.

Riverdale did subsitute a lot on defense and will have a lot of experience in their front seven. Frankly, I'm a little puzzled at how this DC uses his personnel and the defense wasn't very good the last half of the year. There is a lot of work to do but here is some talent and experience on hand. They also had several underclassmen play meaningful minutes in the secondary but nobody really stepped up. Still, they got experience.

On offense, I don't think we had an underclassmen play a single meaningful snap on the OL all year...and that is an absolute shame. We should have been able to rotate guys in and get them playing time. There were only a couple games where anyone got garbage time minutes. We'll be fine at TE. We have some talented RBs that weren't on the field at the end of the year due to not being able to hold on to the ball. If they resolve that, and learn to turn upfield, we'll be fine at RB...and there is more depth there than some may think. I expect that there will be a shootout for the QB position. I really like what I saw of West as a freshmen QB and in the few minutes he got this year. He will be better at running the offense, more deceptive and technically sound, and it looks like the athleticism is starting to get there. Don't know if he can pass and we need to find a couple guys who can catch.

Hope Beckwith comes back. He's a solid kicker.

I'm not averse to the wing-t, actually like the ball control style. However, to win big it has to be part of a formula. Along with running the ball with great efectiveness you have to be able to do four other things:

1. Pass 6-10 times a game with a high completion percentage and average 10+ yards per completion.

2. Play great defense to control field position

3. Play great special teams to establish and control field position.

4. Win the turnover battle

I don't think our team did any of those four things. We had an exceptional offensive line and tried to do it all with that. Just won't work...five can't block 11.

I hope the coaching staff is busy planning the spring and making sure we get the maiximum benefit from the off-season. It really looked like last spring was totally disorganized and that we pretty much just wasted the spring. The overall excellence in planning, organization, and execution just doesn't seem to be there. We have shown we can build a great OL but there is much more to running a first-rate program than that. The coaching staff needs to step up and then ask the players to step up...but the coaching staff needs to set the example. If we need to make changes in the staff then do it. If we need to eat a little crow and bring back some guys that know what Riverdale football looks like then do it (Collins comes to mind).

We do need to have a great off-season.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Sorry this got a little long...I haven't posted since last week.

Go Warriors!!!

Discipline...that is a word that comes to mind that did not with the 07 team that needs to come up all the time with the 08 team!! We have got to work on Discipline & get these guys focused. Sure it should be fun but hey when you have all of those guys on the side cutting up that is a distraction!! either be there to support the team & be part of the team or don't be there just to say you are part of RIVERDALE football!! The coaches need to step up & get "rid" yes I said "rid" of some of the players who are not really there to be playing but are only a distraction..

We also need to find a coach that can work & teach the players how to tackle especially on kick off returns!! 1st we need a good kick off then we have got to hold them down to w/in the 20... these teams being able to continue to run back & break tackle after tackle is crazy!! 2nd we need a coach to step up & work w/ the secondary.. 2 years in a row that the secondary has stunk!! sure they have made some good plays but you have got to be there & make "heads up" every play!! Teams figured out real quick that they could pass on us & then that would open up their running game (oh shouldn't that have been our game plan...run run run to open up a pass???) oh well good luck 08 guys... 07 you did what you could with what you had been taught.. sure some bad mistakes in the last game but we all make mistakes just learn from them!! Chop thanks for a great year on the field & on the boards... you are one class act!! Best of luck to you & all of the other seniors!! Go WARRIORS /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />