Riverdale Offseason Thread

CantStopTheChop

i believe that 5a can win with the t but you have to throw a little to keep the defence honest you have to do it smart

well it hasnt been done yet...we had the talent last year to win state and i thought this year we had the talent to get there but yet our season is already over so until someone wins it and proves me wrong ( iwas hoping it was gonna be us )i will stand firmly behind that opinion

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it hasnt been done yet...we had the talent last year to win state and i thought this year we had the talent to get there but yet our season is already over so until someone wins it and proves me wrong ( iwas hoping it was gonna be us )i will stand firmly behind that opinion

Hopefully the coaches at RHS will see this and correct this problem. I also feel that for any team to be sucessful you have to be able to throw the football around some what with a high percentage of completions! I know coach A doesn't like to throw but he better learn that your going to have to be able to throw the ball around a little to keep d-fenses honest or I think RHS will keep on having the same problem we have had the last 2 years an early exit from the playoffs! I'm not saying that to dog coach A I feel he is a very good coach but you have to adapt with the times even Joe Pa did it at Penn State with more success the last few years. With that said if the boys continue to work hard in the off season and stay hungry RHS will still be very competitive in region 4-5A! GO WARRIORS! STAY /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Riverdale has plenty of Jrs & sophs to step up for the upcoming year...they are ready to prove that they can do it w/out the "stand outs" that got all of the attention this year.. My point about the fact that there is so many extra players is that there are so many that do "nothing".. yes there are some that are "injured" i understand that but the others that just ... watch the chearleaders instead of the game.. goof around... distract instead of support... and there are plenty of them... what is the point of keeping them on other than to show alot of players on the field?? You can still have alot of players (70-75) and not only does that cut down on the ones that are goofing off but it also shows that you will not keep those around for no reason plus it will cut down on alot of cost!! Sure its the coaches responsibility to keep these guys focused but you also need guys to step up as leaders on the team & the 07 team did not have any so lets hope the 08 team does.. GO WARRIORS!!!

just throwing my opinion out on a few things:

rdaleman, vanhoose was just as productive this year as he was in the previous I form offense freshman year. he is MONEY running up the middle. wingt did probably affect mcclains production as you mentioned to much running side to side he still managed plenty of 100 yard games this year but i agree a different offense would have showcased his talent better as it also did freshman year.

lastone2know, i felt we had several guys step up as leaders this year...i felt Lilienthal and Smith were great leaders on the offense, Lily was very vocal and led by example with his intensity, Smith alot of players had confidence in him and he was accountable. clutch player, saw him lead 2 game winning drives down the field in consecutive weeks against smyrna and lavergne, carrying the ball in the endzone himself.

defensively i felt Verge was a descent leader, he would set the tone for the game and consistantly come up with huge plays. Miller was also a guy who i felt was a leader on that dline.

Riverdale has plenty of Jrs & sophs to step up for the upcoming year...they are ready to prove that they can do it w/out the "stand outs" that got all of the attention this year.. My point about the fact that there is so many extra players is that there are so many that do "nothing".. yes there are some that are "injured" i understand that but the others that just ... watch the chearleaders instead of the game.. goof around... distract instead of support... and there are plenty of them... what is the point of keeping them on other than to show alot of players on the field?? You can still have alot of players (70-75) and not only does that cut down on the ones that are goofing off but it also shows that you will not keep those around for no reason plus it will cut down on alot of cost!! Sure its the coaches responsibility to keep these guys focused but you also need guys to step up as leaders on the team & the 07 team did not have any so lets hope the 08 team does.. GO WARRIORS!!!

so what you are telling me is that coach A and his staff can not control his players on the sideline? Are you telling me that we have a discioline problem? if that is the case then we have more problems with our coaching staff then i thought..if a kid isnt working hard then he needs to go...if a kid doesnt act right in class or gets into a lot of trouble then he is let go BUT it is up to the coaches to control those kids and if there is discipline in practice they wont be like that during a game and if we would build a big lead instead of keeping teams in the game they would see that they have a chance to get in the game

Having so many 'extras' helps when it comes to kids playing the role of scout teams and the like. It also makes it where you do NOT have to use 'varsity' for JV games that SHOULD be played to get up and comers playing time and the opportunity for the coaching staff to see what they can bring to the varsity squad. It also gives the coaches a chance to see kids that some consider so-so but who could be a great player with the right coaching. Some are born great, but some can be taught to be great with the right coaching. A prime example is Sonny Gray. Don't get me wrong I consider Sonny a great athelete, but that came naturally in baseball first. When he first started playing QB he was good but not great. He got the coaching he needed to make him a great QB who can now read defenses and make the adjustments that are needed to be made by a great QB. There are other kids in the Region who could be great players with the right coaching also. When the clone first started playing he was what I consider a 'fair' player, but under the Coaching of Steve Britton he became a GOOD lineman.

If nothing else they can be used as reaction cones in the field to teach WR's to run the routes they are supposed to run. Or as the 'clone' used to call them, they make great tackling dummies! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The main thing though is the fact it IS intimidatiing to see wave after wave of them coming on the field for warm ups to teams that have 40-50 players TOPS! That is why we see some schools dressing freshman players on varsity game night just to give them numbers on the sidelines. R'dale is lucky in that is does NOT have to do that!

We had a senior starter on the 2004 team that never looked like he was going to play. But he stayed out, worked hard in the weight room, and ended up changing positions and starting on that dominating team. That's why you keep coaching and developing the young players.

We should value every single player out there...they do invest a lot of time and effort. We also owe them good coaching and the right discipline.

just throwing my opinion out on a few things:

rdaleman, vanhoose was just as productive this year as he was in the previous I form offense freshman year. he is MONEY running up the middle. wingt did probably affect mcclains production as you mentioned to much running side to side he still managed plenty of 100 yard games this year but i agree a different offense would have showcased his talent better as it also did freshman year.

lastone2know, i felt we had several guys step up as leaders this year...i felt Lilienthal and Smith were great leaders on the offense, Lily was very vocal and led by example with his intensity, Smith alot of players had confidence in him and he was accountable. clutch player, saw him lead 2 game winning drives down the field in consecutive weeks against smyrna and lavergne, carrying the ball in the endzone himself.

defensively i felt Verge was a descent leader, he would set the tone for the game and consistantly come up with huge plays. Miller was also a guy who i felt was a leader on that dline.

tdtn WE have had a lot of very productive FBin the past that was very productive my point about that was if he was a lead blocker for mccalin or joey lee through those big holes how many TDs would we of had? i have full respect for vanhoose and his work ethic and his heart so please dont think otherwise

This question is mainly directed at Lost Old Dad, Riverdaleman, tdntn, & TDCman

Coach A has only lost three games in two years but TWO of them have been in the playoffs. Not that he doesn't feel it already, but will there be any added pressure to perform better in the playoffs next year? Is the Riverdale monster getting restless?

This question is mainly directed at Lost Old Dad, Riverdaleman, tdntn, & TDCman

Coach A has only lost three games in two years but TWO of them have been in the playoffs. Not that he doesn't feel it already, but will there be any added pressure to perform better in the playoffs next year? Is the Riverdale monster getting restless?

NO i do not think there will be any added pressure...the pressure is already there unfortunatly as a program it is a monster and expectations are high not only from a fan standpoint but also a player and throughout the whole program...before Rankin we was as a whole pretty good we may not have won state but we did win our share of districts and we beat oakland and that was all that matter now our goals have changed not only do we win regions our kids when they work out are working to win STATE not to go undefeated in regular season and lose inplayoffs..i will saay that in this thread there has been some things come up that causes some concerns..ie too many players because all they do is stand around at practice and goof off that NEVER happened before all kids were always busy there was no down time so i am a little concern about a few things but NO I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY ADDED pressure it was already there

NO i do not think there will be any added pressure...the pressure is already there unfortunatly as a program it is a monster and expectations are high not only from a fan standpoint but also a player and throughout the whole program...before Rankin we was as a whole pretty good we may not have won state but we did win our share of districts and we beat oakland and that was all that matter now our goals have changed not only do we win regions our kids when they work out are working to win STATE not to go undefeated in regular season and lose inplayoffs..i will saay that in this thread there has been some things come up that causes some concerns..ie too many players because all they do is stand around at practice and goof off that NEVER happened before all kids were always busy there was no down time so i am a little concern about a few things but NO I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY ADDED pressure it was already there

I agree. Coach A knew exactly what the expectations were at R'dale when he applied. I also agree that R'dale is a monster of a program. Even when we lose the target still remains on our backs. The celebration by EVERYONE in the state when WC beat us is proof of that. Now if we start losing 'that' I would REALLY worry. At the same time winning Region and then losing in the first or second round every year like DB will NOT be tolerated long.

I also agree that 'goofing off' will not and should NOT be tolerated. If that is not controlled then the administration will step in and see that it is fixed.

On the other hand it is up to the Coaches to see that they have to continue learning and adjusting to the changing times and players they do have. Coach A MUST work with the Coaches at our feeder school to make them better so they can actually help us. Gotta get that WINNING metality started early and firmly in place. If this means going to a modified WingT with passing, then so be it. Right now this side of town is growing fast and there will be new faces coming in, so the talent level going down excuse just will not fly. Sorry State but this is a fact. There is 5 new subdivisions going in within a mile of me right now and we are DEEP in the R'dale zone. About the only thing that would really kill the program is if the County puts the new HS right in the middle of Christiana instead of Rockvale or Stewarts Creek.

We also MUST have a winning Freshman program again. If this means going out and getting Coach Scharse again then so be it. While he was the Freshman Coach we won constantly and that helped to intimidate the other schools in the Region we played. This losing by the Freshman team all the time does nothing but tell other schools that we can be beaten and that is NOT good! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Main thing is this is NOT Metro, so doing stuff half way just will NOT fly! If this means extra work by the Coaches at R'dale, I am sorry but that is what they are paid to do. The Booster club will help as they have always have so that is not an excuse that will fly either. Coach A works VERY hard and that IS appreciated, by me at least.

Having so many 'extras' helps when it comes to kids playing the role of scout teams and the like. It also makes it where you do NOT have to use 'varsity' for JV games that SHOULD be played to get up and comers playing time and the opportunity for the coaching staff to see what they can bring to the varsity squad. It also gives the coaches a chance to see kids that some consider so-so but who could be a great player with the right coaching. Some are born great, but some can be taught to be great with the right coaching. A prime example is Sonny Gray. Don't get me wrong I consider Sonny a great athelete, but that came naturally in baseball first. When he first started playing QB he was good but not great. He got the coaching he needed to make him a great QB who can now read defenses and make the adjustments that are needed to be made by a great QB. There are other kids in the Region who could be great players with the right coaching also. When the clone first started playing he was what I consider a 'fair' player, but under the Coaching of Steve Britton he became a GOOD lineman.

If nothing else they can be used as reaction cones in the field to teach WR's to run the routes they are supposed to run. Or as the 'clone' used to call them, they make great tackling dummies! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The main thing though is the fact it IS intimidatiing to see wave after wave of them coming on the field for warm ups to teams that have 40-50 players TOPS! That is why we see some schools dressing freshman players on varsity game night just to give them numbers on the sidelines. R'dale is lucky in that is does NOT have to do that!

commenting on the first part of your post , you have to have jv games for that to happen , and if they had any more games i think some of those underclass men would have been playing varsity