Riverdale Offseason Thread

CantStopTheChop

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go out on a limb and say that 2008 Riverdale wins as many games as 2007 Riverdale. Where they get those wins and and how far they go in the playoffs will be the question. That will also require that the coaching staff do a much better job in the off-season preparing the team. Nobody needs to step up more than this coaching staff does...and I believe they will.

Riverdale did subsitute a lot on defense and will have a lot of experience in their front seven. Frankly, I'm a little puzzled at how this DC uses his personnel and the defense wasn't very good the last half of the year. There is a lot of work to do but here is some talent and experience on hand. They also had several underclassmen play meaningful minutes in the secondary but nobody really stepped up. Still, they got experience.

On offense, I don't think we had an underclassmen play a single meaningful snap on the OL all year...and that is an absolute shame. We should have been able to rotate guys in and get them playing time. There were only a couple games where anyone got garbage time minutes. We'll be fine at TE. We have some talented RBs that weren't on the field at the end of the year due to not being able to hold on to the ball. If they resolve that, and learn to turn upfield, we'll be fine at RB...and there is more depth there than some may think. I expect that there will be a shootout for the QB position. I really like what I saw of West as a freshmen QB and in the few minutes he got this year. He will be better at running the offense, more deceptive and technically sound, and it looks like the athleticism is starting to get there. Don't know if he can pass and we need to find a couple guys who can catch.

Hope Beckwith comes back. He's a solid kicker.

I'm not averse to the wing-t, actually like the ball control style. However, to win big it has to be part of a formula. Along with running the ball with great efectiveness you have to be able to do four other things:

1. Pass 6-10 times a game with a high completion percentage and average 10+ yards per completion.

2. Play great defense to control field position

3. Play great special teams to establish and control field position.

4. Win the turnover battle

I don't think our team did any of those four things. We had an exceptional offensive line and tried to do it all with that. Just won't work...five can't block 11.

I hope the coaching staff is busy planning the spring and making sure we get the maiximum benefit from the off-season. It really looked like last spring was totally disorganized and that we pretty much just wasted the spring. The overall excellence in planning, organization, and execution just doesn't seem to be there. We have shown we can build a great OL but there is much more to running a first-rate program than that. The coaching staff needs to step up and then ask the players to step up...but the coaching staff needs to set the example. If we need to make changes in the staff then do it. If we need to eat a little crow and bring back some guys that know what Riverdale football looks like then do it (Collins comes to mind).

We do need to have a great off-season.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Sorry this got a little long...I haven't posted since last week.

Go Warriors!!!

that is a big limb you are going out on...and a humorous post

here is the deal...riverdale fans have enjoyed domination so long...it is hard for some of them to live in the reality of what is true...i am not even pulling against you...i played college ball with one of your recent coaches and he got me turned on to riverdale football when i moved here...because his boys were playing...but...

if you only would re-read your own post...you would easily see that their is no way that riverdale wins 10 games again in 2008...read it again...

coach a and staff are really good...but even they cannot make straw into gold...not only is the talent level down...but the experience level is way down as well...you will be fortunate to win 5 games next year...and that is okay...this is a tough region and you can't be (and won't be next year) good forever...

that is a big limb you are going out on...and a humorous post

here is the deal...riverdale fans have enjoyed domination so long...it is hard for some of them to live in the reality of what is true...i am not even pulling against you...i played college ball with one of your recent coaches and he got me turned on to riverdale football when i moved here...because his boys were playing...but...

if you only would re-read your own post...you would easily see that their is no way that riverdale wins 10 games again in 2008...read it again...

coach a and staff are really good...but even they cannot make straw into gold...not only is the talent level down...but the experience level is way down as well...you will be fortunate to win 5 games next year...and that is okay...this is a tough region and you can't be (and won't be next year) good forever...

I agree that my post is a bit contradictory. It comes true if this staff adjusts or gets adjusted. There are good football players at Riverdale that need good coaching at all positions and as a team.

And I think it's 11 games, not 10.

Out of curiosity, which five teams are going to beat Riverdale next year?

I agree that my post is a bit contradictory. It comes true if this staff adjusts or gets adjusted. There are good football players at Riverdale that need good coaching at all positions and as a team.

And I think it's 11 games, not 10.

Out of curiosity, which five teams are going to beat Riverdale next year?

whether the staff adjust or not...there are not good enough players at riverdale to win 11 games...i said 10 just because of the regular season...i think it is 50-50 whether riverdale even makes the playoffs...

as to what 5 teams beat riverdale...i am not that smart... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

well see for sure next year...and...i hope it ain't so...i hope riverdale does well...just looking at the raw data

i also just hope blackman makes the playoffs... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The coaches need to step up & get "rid" yes I said "rid" of some of the players who are not really there to be playing but are only a distraction..

I agree with most of your post but disagree with "getting rid" of any players. We need to get the players coached up and involved. Unfortunately, more than 60% of Riverdale's players know that no matter how well they do in practice or how hard they work, that they will not play a down on Friday night. Keep the players out, keep them involved, and coach them into being contributors. Players need to hit the field on Friday night ready for their number to be called and with the belief that it might be.

I agree with most of your post but disagree with "getting rid" of any players. We need to get the players coached up and involved. Unfortunately, more than 60% of Riverdale's players know that no matter how well they do in practice or how hard they work, that they will not play a down on Friday night. Keep the players out, keep them involved, and coach them into being contributors. Players need to hit the field on Friday night ready for their number to be called and with the belief that it might be.

I guess this is one area we will just agree to disagree...why does any team need 100 + ??? there is no reason!! You can never prepare that many guys as they really need to be prepared no matter what kind of coach you are.. Make these guys earn a spot & make them work for it & make them keep it!! But there is no reason for that many kids when you have so many "just standing" and do you have any clue how many are just walking around during the games in their jerseys?? why not at least watch the game?? real commitment ... they are not there to be part of the team.. that is obvious!! also have you been to a practice??? if so then you know only the first quarter or so has the entire team participate the remainder only the starters & practice squad get to do anything the others just stand... Yeah that is really preparing the 100 + for a game.. sure put them in watch them go... There is NO WAY to play 100 + on any Friday night unless you run in a new player every down.. then what is the point of having starters or having your players that have earned a spot if you are going to throw a player in just to be sure all players get in to keep them involved. They have to earn that & most of them have not! You are right players do need to hit the field on Friday ready for their number to be called but when you have so many numbers there is no way to call all of them.

you keep saying you dont like the wing-t but have you really seen the wing before , if so then you know that the backs that were in were not a good fit for the wing this yr

why not onyl have i seen a wing T before i ran the Wing T in higH SCHOOL WHILE I WAS AT RIVERDALE. I am not sure what you mean about our backs as i thought they were pretty good the fact is they run 10 yards before they got to the line of scrimmage whcich is be design in this offense to much side to side running and it made the back look bad think about this our least athletic( although a very hard worker )was getting almost 10 yards a pop going straight imagine what one of our faster and more athletic back could have done with some of those plays..but this is just my opinion

I guess this is one area we will just agree to disagree...why does any team need 100 + ??? there is no reason!! You can never prepare that many guys as they really need to be prepared no matter what kind of coach you are.. Make these guys earn a spot & make them work for it & make them keep it!! But there is no reason for that many kids when you have so many "just standing" and do you have any clue how many are just walking around during the games in their jerseys?? why not at least watch the game?? real commitment ... they are not there to be part of the team.. that is obvious!! also have you been to a practice??? if so then you know only the first quarter or so has the entire team participate the remainder only the starters & practice squad get to do anything the others just stand... Yeah that is really preparing the 100 + for a game.. sure put them in watch them go... There is NO WAY to play 100 + on any Friday night unless you run in a new player every down.. then what is the point of having starters or having your players that have earned a spot if you are going to throw a player in just to be sure all players get in to keep them involved. They have to earn that & most of them have not! You are right players do need to hit the field on Friday ready for their number to be called but when you have so many numbers there is no way to call all of them.

i like having alot of players if we did not keep a lot of players a player like vanhoos would not have become the producitve player that he was this year IF there was no action inpractice by the other players that is poor planning by the coach in not being prepared if you talk to anyone we have had almost 100 players for a long time and in practice there was very little standing around time you never know what little sophmore is gonna grow or what player is gonna work his butt of to become a really good high school football player...we have had the luxury in the past to get big leads and work a lot of those kids in during the week with our new offnese and the way things are run it is gonna be hard to do that because you dont get that big lead by halftime anymore you get it torward the end of the game IF you get it there is power in numbers and it is up to the coach to develop those players over a 4 year period to where they are productive..most parents understand it is usually JR -Sr year before their son plays so that isnt usualy an issue GO WARRIORS

whether the staff adjust or not...there are not good enough players at riverdale to win 11 games...i said 10 just because of the regular season...i think it is 50-50 whether riverdale even makes the playoffs...

as to what 5 teams beat riverdale...i am not that smart... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

well see for sure next year...and...i hope it ain't so...i hope riverdale does well...just looking at the raw data

i also just hope blackman makes the playoffs... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

you can go by there freshman year of playing BUT i dont know how else you can make that assment...we really havent seen them play the past 2 years i hope the coahces have done their jobs and while in practice going aginast these good players that they have grown into good players an will be a great asset to our program

why not onyl have i seen a wing T before i ran the Wing T in higH SCHOOL WHILE I WAS AT RIVERDALE. I am not sure what you mean about our backs as i thought they were pretty good the fact is they run 10 yards before they got to the line of scrimmage whcich is be design in this offense to much side to side running and it made the back look bad think about this our least athletic( although a very hard worker )was getting almost 10 yards a pop going straight imagine what one of our faster and more athletic back could have done with some of those plays..but this is just my opinion

you are right , so why not mix it up with some of the others , we might be playing friday nite , just a thought.

in my opinion, i think the fb is the key along with the qb, it is deception from those 2 to make it work

you are right , so why not mix it up with some of the others , we might be playing friday nite , just a thought.

in my opinion, i think the fb is the key along with the qb, it is deception from those 2 to make it work

I agree with however in the playoffs and the second time you face a team they are more ready for it so you are really limited in what you can do and this is why the wing T wont win a state title in 5A the defenses are to good and to well coached if there was a wing T to win it it would be WC i dont consider them a true wing T they have some charectuistics of a wing T but in my opinion they are not a true wing T and we are

I agree with however in the playoffs and the second time you face a team they are more ready for it so you are really limited in what you can do and this is why the wing T wont win a state title in 5A the defenses are to good and to well coached if there was a wing T to win it it would be WC i dont consider them a true wing T they have some charectuistics of a wing T but in my opinion they are not a true wing T and we are

i believe that 5a can win with the t but you have to throw a little to keep the defence honest you have to do it smart