Officials

shpshter93

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meltono7,

you seem to know the in/out. I have a question. I was a witness to a game this past friday night were the officating was so bad that I could not believe it. Walking, hard fouls and just all around not calling anything . The foul count ended up being 39 to 12. I want to let them play but this was ridicilous. I witnessed the refs during halftime of the game sitting with the home teams fans having a good ol time. I didnt think that they were suppose to do that. If you have some answers for me I would appreciate it. I really believe that they should be turned in to someone. I know that visiting team has the video of this game. I sure that they don't mind taking a lose but to have to play 8 on 5 is not a real game.Please reply if you can.

why is the "pro hop" not a walk me and official i used to work with at nissan had a few discusions on this lol

As the player dribbles in. they "hop", landing with both feet. At this point they are no longer dribbling, and it is as if they just picked up their dribble, although they are still in motion. When they continue in motion, they may still pick one or both feet up, and land on one foot on the way in to the basket, as long as the other foot doesn't come down before they release the ball to the basket. If the other foot comes down before they release, it is a walk. It gets called both ways, because in a crowded paint area, it is sometimes hard to see the feet and watch everything else as well.

Try to think of the move in slow motion or stop-action, and the situation is the same as a guard who picks up her dribble on the perimeter. The confusing part that makes people think it is a walk is because, at full speed, it covers a lot of distance, and the "hop" seems like an extra step, but it isn't. I have studied this because a local player uses this move a lot, and so I questioned several officials about it. And no, I'm not an official, but I am married to one......

Meltono7,

you seem to know the in/out. I have a question. I was a witness to a game this past friday night were the officating was so bad that I could not believe it. Walking, hard fouls and just all around not calling anything . The foul count ended up being 39 to 12. I want to let them play but this was ridicilous. I witnessed the refs during halftime of the game sitting with the home teams fans having a good ol time. I didnt think that they were suppose to do that. If you have some answers for me I would appreciate it. I really believe that they should be turned in to someone. I know that visiting team has the video of this game. I sure that they don't mind taking a lose but to have to play 8 on 5 is not a real game.Please reply if you can.

Whyus, fraternizing with the media, home and visiting fans or coaches is 'highly discouraged' because even if it is innocent conversation, it can be misinterpreted as 'prejudice' to one team or another.

I can not comment on your crew as I was not in attendance of the game. Your coach should know the proper procedure if they wish for your officials associations supervisor to review the game film.

Hope this answers your questions.

I thought the officials missed a call last night, but maybe I'm wrong. The ref called a technical foul on the coach. The coach got even hotter after the first one, and the ref called another technical. The coach was forced to leave the gym. The opposing team got to shoot 2 foul shots and the ball back. I always thought it was 2 foul shots per technical foul and the ball back???? Somebody chime in with the answer.

When did the rules change in the TSSAA, It used to be that a player trying to draw a charge had to be set. It seems this year the TSSAA Officials are calling charges like crazy, usually while a player is being guarded while driving the basket. I have seen three games where players went to the basket and were undercut by the defensive player, no foul was called and it only cost one of the players (boys team) the rest of his season with a torn acl. I will give them some credit they are doing a great job of keeping players shirts tucked in...lol.

It has never been a rule that one has to be set to draw a charge in the TSSAA or anywhere else for that matter. That thinking is passed on by "experts" on TV from time to time, but is still wrong. If two players are moving parallel to each other and the offensive player turns into the defensive player it is a charge. If the defensive player is backing or running directly away from an offensive player and is overtaken by the offensive player it is a charge.

The call is determined by who initiates the contact. The "you must be set" thinking comes from the part of the rule that says you can not take position in the path of a player after they leave the floor. However if you had position before they jumped you DO NOT have to give them room to come down.

The TSSAA has a training film for this (at least they used to) and I would bet less than half of the current officials have seen it.

I thought the officials missed a call last night, but maybe I'm wrong. The ref called a technical foul on the coach. The coach got even hotter after the first one, and the ref called another technical. The coach was forced to leave the gym. The opposing team got to shoot 2 foul shots and the ball back. I always thought it was 2 foul shots per technical foul and the ball back???? Somebody chime in with the answer.

Each technical foul gets '2 shots'.

Question and answer sessions are good for both the officials and the fans. Would like to see more of this. However everyone has to understand that its not a gripe session.

Here is a question, what is the rule on blocking out someone shooting a jump shot? Do you have to give the shooter room to come back down before you make contact?

Well i dont know if TSSAA changed it or not but the officals are terrible this year cause i have seen so many bad calls this year just like last night 12-10-07 i went to Scott High to watch the Highlanders and Dragons play and it was like 1 minute into the 2nd quater and nash strunk hit a 3 and they counted it but it hit the cross bar and they counted it still but after half time they talked about it and 10 minutes later took the 3 points from him and that is no right cause the rule book states that it must be done before the next dead ball and thats just like a charge you MUST be set before they can call a charge this year has to be the worst game calling i have ever seen but scott pulled it off 63-50 but the officals were horrrible.

Well i dont know if TSSAA changed it or not but the officals are terrible this year cause i have seen so many bad calls this year just like last night 12-10-07 i went to Scott High to watch the Highlanders and Dragons play and it was like 1 minute into the 2nd quater and nash strunk hit a 3 and they counted it but it hit the cross bar and they counted it still but after half time they talked about it and 10 minutes later took the 3 points from him and that is no right cause the rule book states that it must be done before the next dead ball and thats just like a charge you MUST be set before they can call a charge this year has to be the worst game calling i have ever seen but scott pulled it off 63-50 but the officals were horrrible.

Could use some periods in there to define where one sentence ends and another begins. I live in a different part of the state than you, however I must say that the officials here seem to be getting better. In the past I have really dogged the officials on here but I have been impressed by them this year. Now not to say they don't miss calls or make bad ones, but it has not been nearly as bad as it has been in years past. Oh, by the way, you DO NOT have to be set to take a charge. You must have the position on the floor. An example of what would happen if the rule was as you state. If the player with the ball is be guarded closely by a defensive player, then all he would need to do is fake one way, cross over the other way and when the defender moved just run over him. If you had to be set to take a charge then my example would always be a blocking foul. By the TRUE rule, it would be a charge.

THis topic is old, I started it, lets quit it.

How you make sure an official has no impact on your game is to build a lead, stop crying and hit that extra foul shot.

NEXT TOPIC PLEASE

As an official, I am happy to see fans interested in the rules. The game is better enjoyed by them because they know what is happening and why. Some things can be drawn out; but, everyone doesn't have the time to read as much every day as others. Sometimes it's three - four days before I'm able to sit and read all of the very interesting topics that are presented here. I'm glad that they are left here and available for us. Thank you, CoachT.