Bearden vs Smyrna

Lost Old Dad

hoping that Millington will play one of these 2 teams, you can view 2 of our games against Whitehaven(11-1) and White Station(13-0) at CommercialAppeal.com, click on Sports, Preps, and a screen on the right should pop up as the PrepsTv highlights for the "Game of the Week". Millington is the first two on the list.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey coaches and fans do the talking off the field, the players do it on the field, I was just trying to teach a young man when it was time for him to talk and when it was not. I am a huge Bearden fan and former player from 93-96 I was #73. I assume that you want to cry also. Like I said earlier I like the enthusiasm, especially the day after the game. Sorry he tore his ankle, I know what that feels like I have had torn ligaments in both of my ankles, it is not fun. And all I have to say is that if the rest of the team is that irritated and angry I like our or your chances next weekend.

Thanks for your support, Just ignore the to young players they don"t know how to respond to a former player that is just trying to support their former team, teammates, and coaches. THEY JUST NEED TO KEEP PRACTICING TO HELP THE TEAM TO GET PREPARED FOR SMYRNA AND APPRECIATE BEING PART OF A GREAT BEARDEN FOOTBALL TEAM AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE THEMSELVES A BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYER FOR BEARDEN NEXT YEAR WHEN YOU GET YOUR CHANCE TO GET PLAYING TIME. zcbh60, I remember you and you remind me of some of the linemen on this years Bearden football team. Your team did have an outstanding defense like this years team does. Thank you and all former players for your support.

When it gets to this point, always take the team with the experienced QB, and especially if the game is at home. I just can't pick against Smyrna in this game. Sonny Gray has already won a state championship and he can smell another one. Remember all the turnovers he had in October.........................he's been about red letter perfect in November. The kid just knows when to flip the switch. I like what Bryson is giving them as a change of pace and Hagar and Martin are making plays outside and making teams pay for doubling Rod.

I am sure Bearden is very well coached and on a mission, but forgive me for picking the defending state champs at home. Middle Tennessee has seemed to have a lock on 5A for a while now, and I don't see it changing this year.

Smyrna 24

Bearden 16

I know nothing about Smyrna, but I can tell you some things about Bearden. Their defense is tough. Smyrna will have problems blocking Bearden's front, everybody they've played has had problems. You better be able to move the pocket because to drop back just puts a target on your chest. They are also very physical, and great tacklers. I doubt Smyrna will be able to run the ball effectively, especially with a freshman RB. Bearden's pass defense is not quite what their run defense is, but they're still good enough to get the job done. You may be able to beat their scheme, but athletically they will match up well with anybody. Offensively they will run from two formations of the shotgun. One with the backs on each side of the QB. One with the fullback next to the QB with the RB directly behind the QB. Works (#19) is a good back with deceptive power, he's lanky, but runs extremely hard every play. Their FB rarely runs the ball, but is good at sneaking out in the flat in the passing game. The rest of their passing game includes a lot of curl routes, and crossing routes, so discipline in your coverage will be very important. The have plenty of experience, starting a senior at every position ( I think).

For you Smyrna fans that should give you some idea of what to expect from Bearden. I would really like to see a 5A Championship brought to East Tennessee, but I'm not sure I could stomach one for Bearden.

I know nothing about Smyrna, but I can tell you some things about Bearden. Their defense is tough. Smyrna will have problems blocking Bearden's front, everybody they've played has had problems. You better be able to move the pocket because to drop back just puts a target on your chest. They are also very physical, and great tacklers. I doubt Smyrna will be able to run the ball effectively, especially with a freshman RB. Bearden's pass defense is not quite what their run defense is, but they're still good enough to get the job done. You may be able to beat their scheme, but athletically they will match up well with anybody. Offensively they will run from two formations of the shotgun. One with the backs on each side of the QB. One with the fullback next to the QB with the RB directly behind the QB. Works (#19) is a good back with deceptive power, he's lanky, but runs extremely hard every play. Their FB rarely runs the ball, but is good at sneaking out in the flat in the passing game. The rest of their passing game includes a lot of curl routes, and crossing routes, so discipline in your coverage will be very important. The have plenty of experience, starting a senior at every position ( I think).

For you Smyrna fans that should give you some idea of what to expect from Bearden. I would really like to see a 5A Championship brought to East Tennessee, but I'm not sure I could stomach one for Bearden.

That freshman rb has 1000 yards and 12 td's. He is no longer a freshman. And as far as being able to block up front the Smyrna offensive line is tough tough tough and have played two of the best lines in the state. Riverdale and Brentwood Acadamy. If sonny gets on a roll it could be a long night. GO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!