Div. II Championship Games on TV?

Gerry Bertier

Will the Division II championship games be on TV?

No. They were not. Will the Division I finals be on TV? Yes, they will be.

Were the Division II basketball finals last year on TV? Nope. Were the the Division I basketball finals on TV? Yes, they were.

I see a pattern there. Not exactly separate but equal.

Due to this type of behavior from the TSSAA and others look for a true split to take place during the next classification period. I don't feel that a split is good for the public schools or the private institutions but I do not feel that any school wants to belong to an organization that has demonstrated that they don't wish to associate with you. This will not be an messy divorce as the private institutions will simply go in another direction. IMO the private schools will hire a director, secretary and furnish them with a small office to operate their organizaton. Look for things to be run first class and to take on an Ivy League image.

Due to this type of behavior from the TSSAA and others look for a true split to take place during the next classification period. I don't feel that a split is good for the public schools or the private institutions but I do not feel that any school wants to belong to an organization that has demonstrated that they don't wish to associate with you. This will not be an messy divorce as the private institutions will simply go in another direction. IMO the private schools will hire a director, secretary and furnish them with a small office to operate their organizaton. Look for things to be run first class and to take on an Ivy League image.

What a great day that would be!

Hey there, wait a minute. Blame TSSAA for everything. Did anyone consider that there may be little interest in Division II from the television stations and, most important, potential advertisers?

I am sure that no one in Nashville would have wanted to watch the MBA-BA game on a chilly November night when BA was trying to avenge its one loss and MBA was undefeated. If only the teams could have had some D-I talent then maybe it could have drawn some local interest.

I'd say that MBA v. BA, two teams located in a major television market with big traditions and long histories with one another, would outdraw anything in D1 ratings-wise....at least in Nashville. That said, I'd think most all high school football is watched/supported by its own fans with a marginal interest from 3rd-party observers. The only team I would suspect that draws any interest outside its geographic region in D1 is Maryville. I think the ratings for d1 or d2 are miniscule and that the games are televised as a courtesy, more or less. It's fair to note that last year while I was traveling in FL, I turned on Comcast Sports South and watched the MBA-BA regular season game.

I think the TSSAA realizes that no one in Mufreesboro will support the D2 finals, and people in Nashville who are marginally interested aren't driving out to Murfressboro to attend the games. So as sort of a "black-out" procedure, they try to "encourage" people in the local area to attend the game by denying them the opportunity to watch it on tv. OF course, they could just admit the mistake of putting this game in Murfreesboro and move it to more logical locations, and everybody would win....so I don't buy the fact that if money is at stake, the TSSAA will jump all over it. They just aren't that smart.

Hey there, wait a minute. Blame TSSAA for everything. Did anyone consider that there may be little interest in Division II from the television stations and, most important, potential advertisers?

I posted my opinion on another board. Out of a sense of fairness, why can't the TSSAA say if you want to televise the D1 games you have to televise the D2 games also?