Warren County

14pioneers

OK -- so when you have a situation where you are obviously outclassed in the area of athleticism and those who are participating do not have the self drive or motivation to do the work on their own to improve themselves, then there is not much that any coach is going to be able to do.

So, how do you fix that problem? In my opinion -- the problems with Warren County High School sports starts long before High School and cannot be solved by any of the High School coaches. It is much deeper and wider of a problem than coaching and changing coaches (in any of the sports) will not solve the problem long term.

Well let me ask you this Whitey, Why is it that Sparta can compete in the district ? Both teams boys and girls are contenders and have no trouble matching up with the Buro or any other team. Are you going to tell me a school with 600 less kids to choose from can field a better team than Warren County ? The answer is YES, but why? they have aau teams 10 and up and most years we do to. Our aau teams are usually hand picked by Coach eades and are coached by someone that is familiar with our offense and defense. I don't see the great athletes at Sparta, but they play hard and are coached well. Do not ever underestimate coaching at the high school level. It is far more important than talent. Sparta has found ways not only to win our district in boys and girls basketball, but to win state championships. The boys at Sparta won back to back titles 5 or 6 years ago. And just look at the banners in thier gym for both boys and girls play. So, the arguement that we get out athleted at Warren doesn't hold water. And I don't want to hear about nobody wanting the warren county job. Ask Coffee County's coach, he wanted it and they didn't hire him. I don't think he's forgotten that either, do you ????

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't under estimate the importance of coaching at the High School level. I just don't over estimate it either because no matter how great a coach one might have, to quote Shirly Majors, you still can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. I just have a hard time believing that every coach at Warren County is the cause of all their failures. I believe that you have to lay the issues squarely at the feet of the material they have to work with. It is not just the girl's basketball team that is a dismal failure, but everyone of the sports teams fail. Because of coaching --- for everyone of them? Give me a break.

Well let me ask you this Whitey, Why is it that Sparta can compete in the district ? Both teams boys and girls are contenders and have no trouble matching up with the Buro or any other team. Are you going to tell me a school with 600 less kids to choose from can field a better team than Warren County ? The answer is YES, but why? they have aau teams 10 and up and most years we do to. Our aau teams are usually hand picked by Coach eades and are coached by someone that is familiar with our offense and defense. I don't see the great athletes at Sparta, but they play hard and are coached well. Do not ever underestimate coaching at the high school level. It is far more important than talent. Sparta has found ways not only to win our district in boys and girls basketball, but to win state championships. The boys at Sparta won back to back titles 5 or 6 years ago. And just look at the banners in thier gym for both boys and girls play. So, the arguement that we get out athleted at Warren doesn't hold water. And I don't want to hear about nobody wanting the warren county job. Ask Coffee County's coach, he wanted it and they didn't hire him. I don't think he's forgotten that either, do you ????

Oh!! I know why, our girls basketball coach and our athletic director share a christmas dinner!

So, eating Christmas Dinner with the Athletic Director is the cause of the basketball team's failure? If that is the case, then all the coaches in Warren County must be eating Christmas Dinner with the Athletic Director.

Come on people. When you have a common across the board problem, then you have a common cause.

Let me illustrate: If I have a perfectly good power saw with an excellent blade and all I am given to build with is rotten wood, then the wood is going to split, break, etc. It would be virtually impossible to make a good product when all the material you are given to work with is rotten. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop -- get it!

You may have one or two decent athletes or players to work with but that is about it. I have yet to see a team fielded at Warren County in the last several years that had a solid starting line up -- in any sport. Coaches are having to scrape the bottom to plug in players that would probably not be on varsity teams at other schools much less starting on varsity teams. That is ok as long as everyone realizes that the coach is making do with the best of what they have. But for parents to think they are going to be able to go out and contend against other teams that put a good starting line up out on the court or field is just living in fantasy land.

So, eating Christmas Dinner with the Athletic Director is the cause of the basketball team's failure? If that is the case, then all the coaches in Warren County must be eating Christmas Dinner with the Athletic Director.

Come on people. When you have a common across the board problem, then you have a common cause.

Let me illustrate: If I have a perfectly good power saw with an excellent blade and all I am given to build with is rotten wood, then the wood is going to split, break, etc. It would be virtually impossible to make a good product when all the material you are given to work with is rotten. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop -- get it!

You may have one or two decent athletes or players to work with but that is about it. I have yet to see a team fielded at Warren County in the last several years that had a solid starting line up -- in any sport. Coaches are having to scrape the bottom to plug in players that would probably not be on varsity teams at other schools much less starting on varsity teams. That is ok as long as everyone realizes that the coach is making do with the best of what they have. But for parents to think they are going to be able to go out and contend against other teams that put a good starting line up out on the court or field is just living in fantasy land.

I'm sure our girls appreciate being called chicken poop. I think there is some talent on this year's squad, maybe not good enough to win the district, but to at least compete and be in games. This year's 7aaa teams are not as strong as previous years Whitey, coach eades has had her chance here, twice. I know she loves Warren County, but the cold hard facts says a change needs to be made.

I do not believe Whitey is calling the girls "chicken poop". But I think a good point is being made and I have no dog in this race. Some girls are very athletic and just exceptional ball players without really trying, but that's not the case for most. 95% of other girls have to work and work to get better and develop their skills. It's hard for a high school coach to make a winning team out of girls who were not worked with when they were younger. Or not worked with all that they should have been.

I do not believe Whitey is calling the girls "chicken poop". But I think a good point is being made and I have no dog in this race. Some girls are very athletic and just exceptional ball players without really trying, but that's not the case for most. 95% of other girls have to work and work to get better and develop their skills. It's hard for a high school coach to make a winning team out of girls who were not worked with when they were younger. Or not worked with all that they should have been.

Yep, that's what I was saying and not just the girl's basketball team but with all the sports. The problem is symptomatic with all the sports. You can't wait until the kids get in High School these days to have competitive teams. Competitive teams are the result of a program approach to sports and if the kids have not mastered the basic skills by the time they are 12, then they probably never will.

OK, whitey.. I've listened to enough. Sure, Hoop was pretty drastic with his coach bashing, but whatever, she's an adult. You really need to back off the players. They read these boards. Calling them c.p. and bottom of the barrel.... COME ON!!! Maybe you believe high school coaches can't make a difference just because you couldn't!! I have seen plenty of high school coaches come in and make a HUGE difference. Coach Keil didn't have a lot of talent outside of Matt and Randal, but he won. There are many other examples. Coach Randy King at Oakland doesn't always have the most talent in boys ball, but he's always at the top. Coaches can and do make a difference, be it positive or negative. Yes, it's high school, you have to use the talent that is there for you. However, it is up to the COACH, no matter what sport, to put that talent in the position to succeed.

This post is more a sports in general than just WC Girls.

You are right about Sparta. They do play hard, but they start young and STICK WITH IT. I have seen 6th graders from Sparta that shoot the ball better than some high schools. A good 10 year old team is useless unless you can keep them playing until they make it to high school. I think that is where White County succeeds and places like Warren County and Coffee County fail. White County keeps their kids interested somehow when other counties around can't.

You are right about Sparta. They do play hard, but they start young and STICK WITH IT. I have seen 6th graders from Sparta that shoot the ball better than some high schools. A good 10 year old team is useless unless you can keep them playing until they make it to high school. I think that is where White County succeeds and places like Warren County and Coffee County fail. White County keeps their kids interested somehow when other counties around can't.

A very good point, a few years back I can recall a very talented deep middle school team that everyone thought was the deepest team ever assembled here in Warren County, I had a friend of mine who had a girl on that team, and currently I don't think there is one girl off that team on the high school roster, for whatever reason I really don't know, but I do know they matched up with Sparta extremely well back then. And this year's senior class had about 9 girls on the roster when they were soph. I think we have 3 now. My friend tells me that coach Eades is a very jealous, mean spirited coach who takes things personally regardless of the facts. All I can say is I hope she's gone when my grandkids get there!!!!!!

Bingo!

Let me clarify lest I continue to be misunderstood and consequently misrepresented: It is hard for a coach to take a chicken poop "situation" and turn that "situation" into chicken salad.

The "situation" at Warren County is not conducive to producing competitive teams at the High School level. There are a lot of factors that are involved in that and part of which can be the coaching. I disagree with those folks that want to blame Coach Eades completely for the failure. That has been my contention all along. The "system" which includes the coach, the players, the parents, the feeder system, the support from the school system (which is nothing), does not lend it self to being consistently successful. Sorry, but that is the way I see it from where I sit. Mediocrity seems to rule the day and that is ok as long as one is willing to accept what goes with it. That is just going out and having some fun and not getting all caught up about winning. There is no problem with treating a sport as a recreational or social activity as long as everything is kept in perspective. However, if the folks at Warren County ever want to really get serious about having a winning program, then changes will have to be made to the ENTIRE SYSTEM (not just with the coach) for that to happen.

Bingo!

Let me clarify lest I continue to be misunderstood and consequently misrepresented: It is hard for a coach to take a chicken poop "situation" and turn that "situation" into chicken salad.

The "situation" at Warren County is not conducive to producing competitive teams at the High School level. There are a lot of factors that are involved in that and part of which can be the coaching. I disagree with those folks that want to blame Coach Eades completely for the failure. That has been my contention all along. The "system" which includes the coach, the players, the parents, the feeder system, the support from the school system (which is nothing), does not lend it self to being consistently successful. Sorry, but that is the way I see it from where I sit. Mediocrity seems to rule the day and that is ok as long as one is willing to accept what goes with it. That is just going out and having some fun and not getting all caught up about winning. There is no problem with treating a sport as a recreational or social activity as long as everything is kept in perspective. However, if the folks at Warren County ever want to really get serious about having a winning program, then changes will have to be made to the ENTIRE SYSTEM (not just with the coach) for that to happen.

For once Whitey, I agree wit 95% of your comments here. But don't excuse the coach, when she inherited this team some 5 years ago, it was a very very competitve squad and I seen them turn into shambles by the end of the year and it's been going down steadly ever since.