Upper Cumberland Girls Basketball.

will26896

I'm not sure if it's that or not, but it does seem unusual to have such consistency of good play from such a rural area. Could be that there isn't many other things going on for the area that the kids are started at a young age for them to have something fun to do together. Whatever the reason, one could hardly argue that the Upper Cumberland area consistenly produces teams that have to be looked at when you think of who is gonna be fighting for the gold ball in the Boro.

Being from Clarkrange, I can say that we definitely had NOTHING else to do but play basketball when I was growing up. At least nothing productive... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Also, MANY of the current players are the children of previous players....can't beat having it bred into you!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Not to mention the best coach in the state. IMHO.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to offend fans of other areas but don't the titles speak for themselves?

The only shortcoming would be in the big schools but that is probably because there are so few schools that size in the area.

Despite the bickering about the goings on at one particular school in an earlier topic, it seems that 7A is, as usual, the class of A ball, and that isn't even mentioning AA. Year in and year out contenders for the title, 7A is tougher than any other A district from top to bottom, and for the most part competitive with surrounding schools regardless of class size. AA always seems to have a contender from the Upper Cumberland as well. It could be just that the competition with each other have driven the schools of the area to be so good just to keep pace. I'm not sure if it's that or not, but it does seem unusual to have such consistency of good play from such a rural area. Could be that there isn't many other things going on for the area that the kids are started at a young age for them to have something fun to do together. Whatever the reason, one could hardly argue that the Upper Cumberland area consistenly produces teams that have to be looked at when you think of who is gonna be fighting for the gold ball in the Boro.

Clarkrange, tough as always, the pipeline seems endless, and the wins keep coming.

Jackson Co., tough again and doesn't look to be ending anytime soon.

Pickett Co., always competitive, once the cream of the crop and possibly could be again in a few years.

Clay Co., RBS, and Monterey, smaller schools that are never an easy win no matter who you are

York, Livingston, and Upperman have the potential certain years to beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.

These teams spring to mind right away when you think of competition and won titles. If Shelbyville were a little further east and in the area most of the girl's titles would no doubt be found along I-40 between Knox and Nash. It seems that there's a pretty big chunk of them there anyway.

Only thing that I've been suprised about is the lack of attention from Knoxville. Granted the ones with enough size and speed to be top notch Division I are rare, the area is loaded with solid players year in and year out.

Personally, Upper Cumberland Basketball is the best. Yes, you grew up playing basketball, curriculum was around basketball(it was when I grew up ) School rivals were great. If you beat certain teams, more bragging rights that you had. It was competive then as it is now. I would like to know how many Upper Cumberland Teams do have gold balls in their trophy cases or silver balls? I know it would be more than 15.

Clarkrange: 7 titles

Jackson County: 5 titles, 3 runners-up

Pickett County: 5 titles

Livingston Academy: 4 titles, 4 runners-up

Cannon County: 1 title, 3 runners-up

York: 1 title

White County: 1 title, 2 runners-up

Celina: 4 runners-up

Upperman: 2 runners-up

Rickman: 2 runners-up

That is a total of 24 state championships and 20 runners-up. Let me know if I left any out.

• 2 weeks later...

This area has some top-notch female athletes. I enjoy basketball of any kind but I really like girl??™s basketball. The girls seem like they put everything they have into a game. I have seen girls fight tooth & nail for a ball....not that guys don't but you see more show boating in boys. 7A & 7AA.... competition is tough. I agree with coyotemom, alot is that players that were good back in the day...their kids are coming up now. At LA....we have the whole Melton family that were basketball standouts & now their kids play. Billy & Tonya Sells both were good ballers, they have freshman standout.... McKenzie. I know each school has their own second generation ball players...truth be know it is probably 3rd & 4th generation ball players. This area is full of talent & will be for years to come.

This area has some top-notch female athletes. I enjoy basketball of any kind but I really like girl??™s basketball. The girls seem like they put everything they have into a game. I have seen girls fight tooth & nail for a ball....not that guys don't but you see more show boating in boys. 7A & 7AA.... competition is tough. I agree with coyotemom, alot is that players that were good back in the day...their kids are coming up now. At LA....we have the whole Melton family that were basketball standouts & now their kids play. Billy & Tonya Sells both were good ballers, they have freshman standout.... McKenzie. I know each school has their own second generation ball players...truth be know it is probably 3rd & 4th generation ball players. This area is full of talent & will be for years to come.

If I'm not mistaken on at least one of the 4-peat years at JC there were 5 daughters of the 1973 undefeated state champion Lady Blue Devils. Lacy Sircy, Anna Sue Spivey,Melissa Davidson, Heather Davidson, and Andrea Davidson. Could've been more.

If I'm not mistaken on at least one of the 4-peat years at JC there were 5 daughters of the 1973 undefeated state champion Lady Blue Devils. Lacy Sircy, Anna Sue Spivey,Melissa Davidson, Heather Davidson, and Andrea Davidson. Could've been more.

Lacy got hurt and did not play........Anna Sue Spivey did not play..........Melissa graduated before this run.......Heather won 1 and Andrea won 3, there was Sarah Gipson in this run.

Your right. It is complete dominance. And it has been, for as long as I can remember watching.

Take right now for example. We are almost half way through the season and in A and AA, there are 5 schools ranked in the top 10 in the state.

A

Clarkrange - Ranked #2 (11-1 Record)

Tue Nov. 13 at Forrest W 45-29

Sat Nov. 17 Macon Co. W 74-48

Sat Nov. 17 Oakdale W 55-37

Fri Nov. 23 at Red Boiling Springs D W 68-42

Sat Nov. 24 at Van Buren Co. W 77-55

Tue Nov. 27 Bledsoe Co. W 62-42

Fri Nov. 30 at Jackson Co. D L 35-52

Tue Dec. 4 Clay County D W 65-35

Fri Dec. 7 at Monterey D W 61-47

Tue Dec. 11 Pickett Co. D W 69-54

Fri Dec. 14 Wartburg W 66-32

Sat Dec. 15 at Stone Memorial W 63-47

Jackson County - Ranked #4 (10-0 Record)

Tue Nov. 13 at Macon Co. W 68-41

Fri Nov. 16 Oliver Springs W 59-35

Tue Nov. 20 at Station Camp W 64-45

Fri Nov. 23 Cookeville W 47-32

Tue Nov. 27 at Upperman W 70-46

Fri Nov. 30 Clarkrange D W 52-35

Tue Dec. 4 at Cookeville W 63-52

Fri Dec. 7 Pickett Co. D W 74-36

Tue Dec. 11 at Red Boiling Springs D W 71-51

Fri Dec. 14 at Monterey D W 69-40

AA

Stone Memorial - Ranked #1 (11-1 Record)

Tue Nov. 13 at McMinn Co. W 70-37

Sat Nov. 17 Unaka W 65-41

Sat Nov. 17 Blackman W 62-36

Mon Nov. 19 Alcoa N W 69-54

Tue Nov. 20 McMinn Co. N W 63-34

Sat Nov. 24 Bearden N W 71-62

Tue Nov. 27 Rhea Co. W 70-32

Fri Nov. 30 Scott D W 71-42

Tue Dec. 4 Cumberland Co. W 60-34

Mon Dec. 10 at Rhea Co. W 69-27

Tue Dec. 11 at Loudon D W 71-70

Sat Dec. 15 Clarkrange L 47-63

Livingston Academy - Ranked #8 (9-1 Record)

Thu Nov. 15 at Loudon W 69-47

Sat Nov. 17 CPA W 82-46

Tue Nov. 20 at Pickett Co. W 75-52

Fri Nov. 23 Greeneville N W 50-40

Sat Nov. 24 Tennessee N W 56-35

Tue Nov. 27 at Cookeville L 32-53

Fri Nov. 30 at Macon Co. D W 50-48

Tue Dec. 4 York Institute D W 70-56

Fri Dec. 7 Cannon Co. D W 79-51

Tue Dec. 11 at DeKalb Co. D W 57-33

Upperman - Ranked #10 (9-2 Record)

Tue Nov. 13 Loudon W 66-45