Red Boiling Springs--Coach Boles 0-50!

gmfatf5

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sequatchie Valley Schools (including a few from 'Bama) have a Junior high program and one just below that as well as JV. Perhaps ZonePirate could kick in here an elaborate.

I think that is a little off base with what I have observed in my community. We had a Jr pro system in our community get started about ten years ago. Those kids that started in that program have one loss in the regular season in the last three years and has been to the semis once and the quarters twice. I think that the results speak for themselves. The trick of a good Junior pro program is to teach the kids how to be a team without killing all the fun.

I ran across this string and read out of interest in the record, and then I came to your post.

Surely you are not one of those morons who think Jr. Pro football helps in any way with high school football?!!!

Before you use the phrases "starting them early" or "exposing them to the game" or "teaching fundamentals" or any other lame excuse for a bunch of fathers to ruin football like baseball has been ruined by idiotic ideas like 5-6 year old travel teams, think for a moment and come up with some valid reason to dress 10-11 year old kids in full pads and make them think they are actually playing football when all that ever takes place is turning and pitching to the fastest kid on the field and he outruns everyone.

There is something going on here. If one town starts Jr. Pro, then surrounding towns think they have to have it, or their high school athletic programs will somehow suffer because the kids aren't starting early enough. I have coached football for nearly 20 years, and I have yet to see a kid enter organized football at the junior high level from Jr. Pro and see that he is any more prepared than some kid who has never played.

Wait a minute, there is one advantage - you don't have to teach them how to put on pads. That is it.

Good God. Let the kids go outside and freakin just PLAY!!! Quit thinking they have to "start early"

I mean nothing personal with this rant, it is just something that drives me freakin nuts. I hate to see sports corrupted by idiotic intentions, even if they are well-meant.

Straight from www.popwarner.com:

Pop Warner exists to use football, cheerleading, dance and a respect for education to develop strong, smart, responsible, healthy young men and women. We give them experiences that build their appreciation for and understanding of leadership, teamwork, and discipline.

And...

We don't try to build stars. We don't want to over-inflate a young ego, nor do we want to risk injuring the self-esteem of a young person. Whether our kids have good days or bad, they are still an integral part of our team??¦and always will be.

And...

Since 1929, the Pop Warner Programs Philosophy has been that athletics and scholastics go hand in hand. At every level, Pop Warner programs seek to develop well-rounded young men and women who learn not only the fundamentals of football, cheerleading, and dance but also the importance of education in an atmosphere conducive to developing sound character while having a good time.

As you can see, the Jr. Pro program is a teaching tool to help develop our youth (as is Jr. High & High School). The goal is much bigger than just knowing the fundamentals of football as you've sort of pointed out. As a coach of 20 years, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new but I can't believe that you would discredit the Jr. Pro program. I think its "idiotic" to think that all that ever takes place in Jr. Pro programs "is turning and pitching to the fastest kid on the field and he outruns everyone".

Shut it down and send the ones that want to play to Macon County. The kids have heart and I'm all for it. But when they have a chance to play for an established organization?They should just shut the program down and send the kids that want to play 15 to 20 min down the road and let them play there. Macon County could probably use a few more athletes themselves !!!

Consolidation has been suggested for years. This would not solve RBSs' problem. The best athletes

in RBS or anywhere else would not be allowed to play at MC if you are not politically connected.

The same reason MC never has a good team ( exception, the wonder year). They are their own

worst enemy. Also, the reason a coach never hangs around long. It's not a big secret in MC,

or surrounding area. The good folks in RBS would be quick to tell you the same thing.

Win or lose, they're better off where they are.

I ran across this string and read out of interest in the record, and then I came to your post.

Surely you are not one of those morons who think Jr. Pro football helps in any way with high school football?!!!

Before you use the phrases "starting them early" or "exposing them to the game" or "teaching fundamentals" or any other lame excuse for a bunch of fathers to ruin football like baseball has been ruined by idiotic ideas like 5-6 year old travel teams, think for a moment and come up with some valid reason to dress 10-11 year old kids in full pads and make them think they are actually playing football when all that ever takes place is turning and pitching to the fastest kid on the field and he outruns everyone.

There is something going on here. If one town starts Jr. Pro, then surrounding towns think they have to have it, or their high school athletic programs will somehow suffer because the kids aren't starting early enough. I have coached football for nearly 20 years, and I have yet to see a kid enter organized football at the junior high level from Jr. Pro and see that he is any more prepared than some kid who has never played.

Wait a minute, there is one advantage - you don't have to teach them how to put on pads. That is it.

Good God. Let the kids go outside and freakin just PLAY!!! Quit thinking they have to "start early"

I mean nothing personal with this rant, it is just something that drives me freakin nuts. I hate to see sports corrupted by idiotic intentions, even if they are well-meant.

You must have been around some really bad youth football organizations...

Does any from RBS know if Coach Tony Boles will resign or be fired? RBS owns the state's longest losing streak at 58 games!!! Coach Boles is 0-50 as head coach there. What gives? I here support for the football program is almost non existant and its a small, basketball community. A few yrs back I know they only had a handful of boys on the team--around 17-20. Should RBS just throw in the towel and scrap the football program? Seems like a total waste of time and taxpayer money if u ask me. Go Rebels!!

On the positive side he is the most consistant coach around. And I am sure he has set a record. Wasn't he on espn last year?

Consolidation has been suggested for years. This would not solve RBSs' problem. The best athletes

in RBS or anywhere else would not be allowed to play at MC if you are not politically connected.

The same reason MC never has a good team ( exception, the wonder year). They are their own

worst enemy. Also, the reason a coach never hangs around long. It's not a big secret in MC,

or surrounding area. The good folks in RBS would be quick to tell you the same thing.

Win or lose, they're better off where they are.

I don't know the whole situation but I feel for the kids!!! There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to play with the Macon Co. team. I'm not telling anyone to close the RBS school but let the football team play with the Macon Co. Tiggers!!!

I don't know the whole situation but I feel for the kids!!! There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to play with the Macon Co. team. I'm not telling anyone to close the RBS school but let the football team play with the Macon Co. Tiggers!!!

I agree with you concept. We play RBS every yr. They had a lot of good athletes this yr.

alone. Many would likely be starting at TC,SC, or G-ville, to name a few. My point is

that if they were @ MC, they would be on the sideline, whereas at least now they get

to play.

I certainly feel for these kids. I honestly don't see how they do this yr. after yr. and

still show the amount of enthusiasm they have. This has to mold character for down

the road in life. Fans from schools statewide are always pulling for these guys to win.

I wish they could come up with an answer to the problems. I'm just not smart enough

to give a solution. My hat's off to them for hanging in there.

See you next yr. on the Creekbank, neighbor....take care.

voodoo, i think that you should get out of central west tenn. and do a little traveling. may i suggest a saturday afternoon of watching jr. pro players playing because its still fun and not because of coaches with 20+ years experience think that they shouldnt. i played jr. pro and i was a better jr high and high school player because of it. say what you want about fathers coaching...but to presume that all fathers coach the same way is just laughable.

There is a jr. pro program accessible to Red Boiling Springs.

Lafayette(in the same county) has a City League and a traveling team.

The traveling team plays against Hartsville, Gordonsville, Watertown, Monterey, Jackson Co., and Baxter.

Kids in Red Boiling Springs can play with the traveling team for sure, but I don't know anything about the city league and their rules.

But, there are some dad's that take things overboard in Jr. Pro, but for the most part, it's a good thing.

I know around here that alot of people don't like it because they think it burns the kids out on football, which is hogwash. Kids that quit high school ball when they've already played for 8-10 years quit because the work in Jr. pro is nothing compared to what it is in high school. They don't quit because they are burned out. They quit because they don't want to work out, and they'd rather hang out with pretty girls.

In my opinion, RBS' problem is that they have been so bad for so long that the really good athletes at the school are ashamed to play football. The school has good baseball and basketball teams every year.

And, I think they need to bring in a young, energetic coach that will put in the effort and the time to turn the program around.

This could also be a challenge for an established coach that wants to see what he could do with the program.

Heck, a .500 record would get a street named after you.