Smyrna vs. Independence

I already told you I thought region 3 was the weakest. However, it does not outweigh the fact that in the West it seems that only Region 6 & 8 field teams that are tough year in and out. I realize that sometimes a team from the west (Brentwood or Germantown) wins the whole thing. However, they have a much easier road to the big game and that can make a difference with injuries, etc. I just wish it was distributed more evenly somehow. There are many teams in the eastern bracket that are eliminated that would also beat Indy. Sort of like how many SEC team last year would have beat Ohio St in the big game. Don't get me wrong, Indy desrves to be there and played their hearts out. I am just one of those that disagrees with the current setup. The answer; I am not sure. Sort of like the BCS system I guess, the answer to it lingers. Just my opinion, no disrespect, just food for thought. I appreciate you level headed response though. Thanks

yes there were other teams in the east TN that could have won it this year, I have said the east was much stronger this year. It might be stronger in the east every year but I don't think there is a big enough gap to make any changes. There were teams last year who would have given Smyrna a much tougher game who were knocked out early, these teams were knocked out because the west side of the bracket is much tougher than you think it is.

The region 5 vs. region 6 games are usually tough, close ball games. I've seen some through the years that were very hard hitting ball games which is what leads to injuries,etc.

I have more points I could make as I'm sure you could too, but I'm going to agree to disagree and go to bed.

Oh, and I can't wait to see Rod Wilks in orange. Hopefully UT goes ahead and offers Bryson soon too.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I want to say thank you to the Independence Players and fans. They are a very classy bunch. seconded of all a thank you to the people who sat around me and put up with me all night. >>>>edited<<<< LOL...Bulldogs you made me proud last night. I had so much fun. Thank you..........I will never forget the last two seasons. I hope all you Players and Students realize what you just did. BACK TO BACK BABY GOOOO DAWGS WHOOOOOOO

Clints...please read the Board Rules . Abbreviations are not acceptable either

my view/my opinion:

1. Kudos to smyrnas coaching staff (I may be biased but I think Smyrna has the best staff in the state)- the defense was prepared for everything Indy did and had a great plan for defending all those screens. There is a reason Indy had 42 yards of offense in the 1st half and it was coaching and players executing that plan.

2. Imagine Jermiah Bryson in 3 more year after 3 years in the weight room and adding about 15 pounds. His older brother holds the bench press record for Smyrna at over 400 pounds and he will have jeremiah hittng the weights.

3. Smyrna came out the second half and went prevent defense and decided to make Indy catch it under neath and then tackle. Smyrna knew Indy neede 5 scores to win and decided not to give up anything cheap. While INdy scored in the 3rd qtr it took nearly 7 minutes off the clock

4. Indy showed their pride and fight and took advantage of smyrnas prevent d and made the plays and took what was there. Their qb stood in the pocket better and took his licks and made some good throws despite being rocked at times. You don't get to the chamionship game wihtout some fight in you.

5. I thought Indy was over whelmed by the defensive speed from Smyrna in the 1st half and it took a while to adjust.

Smyrna plays team defense and they are as fast as a group as any team I have seen all year.

6. Rod wilks showed why he is the real deal 2 td catches and one int. 2 championship games and 5 tds.

7. #8 Hagar and # 9 martin played their usual roles as the most under rated receivers in the state. They just make the catches that move the chains and are the perfect compliment to rod.

8. Smyrnas defense returns a wealth of talent next year and combined with bryson smyrna will make a run at it with defense and running game.

9.While Smyrna had it stars this team was made up of a bunch of blue collar kids that did what theywere called on to do and all bought into the team concept. Several of them waited the turn for playing time and produced when they were called on.

Indy congrats on a great season dont let anybody take your joy telling you shoudn't have been there and this team or that team would have beaten you blah blah blah ---- those teams had the same chanced you did and did not get it done and you did!

TCB

TOOK CARE OF BUSINESS

GREAT JOB DOGS

Congratulations to the Smyrna players and coaches for a job well done. Any team that can make the playoffs out of Region 4-5A and then beat the top teams from the region AGAIN thru the playoffs is to be commended. It amazes me that Smyrna is the two-time defending state champs but in either year, haven't won the region. It shows that Region 4-5A is indeed the toughest in the state without a doubt. Great job guys! Enjoy it.

Guest workinprogress

Let me start by stating that I didnt have a dog in this fight. Yes I am from Smyrna but I am far from a Smyrna fan. All I am reading about here is how there are a lot of better teams that could have given Smyrna a better game. Could have, could have, could have....didnt. Smyrna has been on a roll and a healthy Sonny/Wilks combination is going to beat most teams out there. Ask every team Smyrna beat in the playoffs. Throw in the Bryson kid and thats tough to beat. Indy, and I am not an Indy fan by any means, deserved to be there. Indy played well throughout the playoffs and beat a really tough Millington team to get there. Fact is that the competition is fairly even throughout the state in order to make it to the championship game. Each bracket is tought. I doubt Smyrna would say that they had a cake walk and I doubt Indy would either. In one bracket you have region 4 which is always tough. In the other you have region 6 which is always tough. But there are teams across the board that present problems for whoever they play. Millington would have been just as tough for Smyrna as they were to Indy. Bearden would have been just as tough for Indy as they were for Smyrna, etc. When all of you get on here and say that teams would have given Smyrna a better game you are not only knocking Indy but you are also knocking Smyrna by saying that. You are taking away from what that game meant.

Congrats to BOTH teams for getting there. Indy you have a runner up position that most teams would love to have and dont. Keep your heads up and dont pay attention to a bunch of jealous people from other teams that didnt have the season you had. Smyrna congrats as well. Enjoy the moment and good luck on rebuilding after Sonny and Rod are gone. You have some great starting points in the Bryson kid and the Cammen kid that returned the on sides kick.

Let me just say that Smyrna has played a really good season. They played an extremely great game last night. But what I know is that what I do is an extremly big part in how these boys play. And they definatly make a point to tell us that we are. I am in the SHS Bulldog Marching Band. Some fans think we are annoying, but others know that we motivate the team. The SHS coaching staff has personally come to our band class and told us that he is thankful that we are there. Now last night at the game I had to stand next to a man who apparently thought he went to school to be a band major or something. Because he thought he could tell our band to shut up and that it was our fault for the team missing the first feild goal (EXTRA POINT). He was most definately wrong because we got almost every single one after that. He only missed one more. AND GUESS WHAT...THE BAND WAS PLAYING ALL THOSE TIMES. You know we work hard too and how do you think the foot ball players would feel if they someone was telling them to stop playing because they are screwing everything up. Now I know that has nothing to really do with it all but the band deserves a little more respect than that. Just imagine a football game without the band. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" By the way it was a cheerleaders father!

Guest workinprogress

Does anyone else think they need to change the playoff format? Make it so it is actually the best two teams in the state instead of east vs. west.

How on earth are you going to make sure that the best two teams in the state play for the championship? I am sure that Millington folks thought that they were the best team in the state until they played Indy. I am sure that Riverdale folks thought, and probably still believe knowing them, that they were the best team in the state until they played Wilson Central for the second time. Obviously people from region 2 think that they are the best in the state until they play someone from region 4. Who is the best is all a matter of opinion and most is based off of paperwork. Thats why we play the game. And even after all of this is said and done you will still have to wonder who is best? Is it Smyrna, Maryville, MBA, etc? Again, all is a matter of opinion.