Alcoa vs > Goodpasture

peabodyftblfan

The 89 team was a great great great great great team..Dont get me wrong....Im biased with the 2000 team though...That ring still looks good on my finger /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

And you should be /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want in on this 1989 vs 2000 team stuff............ /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Both of these Championship teams are very special to me.

The 1989 season was the year I got "hooked" hard on Alcoa Tornado Football. 15-0!! I've been watching ever sense.

But, I about "feel-off-the-wagon" thru the Coach Ironside era. Sad times.

Then comes the `2000 team under a fired up Coach Meadows to the breath new life into the program and start the wheels in motion to what we have now!

There are some very special players and memories off both of these teams.

Thanks to both of these teams for making me the loyal Alcoa fan I am today! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Amen, can't wait til next season /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

By watching Alcoa's run in the playoffs it proved they were the best team in 2A, but it also showed who was the second best......CAK. They gave Alcoa the toughest game and everyone on both teams knows that. No one else had the offensive power to keep up with Alcoa too bad CAK couldn't put two halfs together and get the win. Or now we would be talking bout CAK holding the trophy up. good job to all the teams and best of luck next year.

By watching Alcoa's run in the playoffs it proved they were the best team in 2A, but it also showed who was the second best......CAK. They gave Alcoa the toughest game and everyone on both teams knows that. No one else had the offensive power to keep up with Alcoa too bad CAK couldn't put two halfs together and get the win. Or now we would be talking bout CAK holding the trophy up. good job to all the teams and best of luck next year.

errrrrr ok /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

The 89 team was a great great great great great team..Dont get me wrong....Im biased with the 2000 team though...That ring still looks good on my finger /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

That 89 team is one of the best ever come through Alcoa if not the best. I played against that team in 89

at Alcoa high school in the state semi finals they beat us by 6 points and went on the next week and crushed Brentwood

Academy. You wanna talk players, Shannon Mitchell, Jamie Henry, Chad Smith, Kevin Jackson, Billy Williams, all these guys were great players, two future NFL players out of this group, not to mention chad smith getting a full ride to MTSU and I played with Kevin Jackson at Tennessee Tech where he was a two year starter at Safety, this team had great talent at the skill positions, Jamie Henry and Shannon Mitchell were men among boys fast and big. I dont know what team is the best ever but I have not seen a team as good as this one since then.

I honestly don't think anyone is as good as the 2006 class.

But it's hard to compare, because the 2004, 05, 06, 07 teams all were introduced to weight lifting in middle school. The 89 team didn't lift nearly as hard or as much as Alcoa does now.

This is why I think if you strapped up bothe teams the teams now would win.

But it's hard to compare, because the 2004, 05, 06, 07 teams all were introduced to weight lifting in middle school. The 89 team didn't lift nearly as hard or as much as Alcoa does now.

I agree about the weight lifting comment, but the high school team I played on most every starter could bench press

over 275lbs, all the lineman could do 300. There are not a lot of high school teams today that can say that, back then the competition was better, only 2 teams made the playoffs out of the region and there was only 3 divisions, privates and public were together, I'm not saying your wrong just saying Mitchell, Jamie Henry, and Billy Williams are as good as anyone who has suited up for Alcoa, Jamie Henry possibly was the best out of the three, a 6'3 215 pound fullback that would knock your head off; he could have named his school of choice if he would took care of business in the classroom, if both teams could strap it up I'm taking the 89 team every time. You had five guys go play D1 off that team.

QuarterMac I appreciate your post but you must have bumped your head on this on. 5193 is right that Alcoa team was the best team in the state that year. I had several people express that to me including a couple of Gallatin fans before I left Nashville that night( championship game was at Vanderbilt then). Just to refresh your memory, Gallatin won 3a that year. Shannon Mitchell, Jamie Henry, and Chad Smith was as good as any tandem of linebackers that I had ever seen. This team won 2A when there was only 3 classifications. Also there were in the top 25 in the country that year. Best team Alcoa has ever had. Kingston was the second best team in the state that year. To bad they had to play us to get to the title game. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

If a parent wants their son to play football at a particular school, and moves into that zone, or gets a legal transfer, then that's perfectly legal. Like one person pointed out, it's not like Alcoa goes on "in-home" recruiting visits to all these middle school "prospects". To be honest, if I have a son one day and he wants to play football, I'm going to move into whatever school zone I need to so he can have the best chance to succeed. If a parent wants to move into Alcoa's zone, rather than their son playing at a school like Heritage, that won't win a ring anytime soon, I don't blame them or see anything wrong with it necessarily.

QuarterMac I appreciate your post but you must have bumped your head on this on. 5193 is right that Alcoa team was the best team in the state that year. I had several people express that to me including a couple of Gallatin fans before I left Nashville that night( championship game was at Vanderbilt then). Just to refresh your memory, Gallatin won 3a that year. Shannon Mitchell, Jamie Henry, and Chad Smith was as good as any tandem of linebackers that I had ever seen. This team won 2A when there was only 3 classifications. Also there were in the top 25 in the country that year. Best team Alcoa has ever had. Kingston was the second best team in the state that year. To bad they had to play us to get to the title game. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Quarter Mac might have been in diapers back then, but I definitely know what type of talent was on that team because I was very close to most of the players (can anybody say Psi Kappa Phi?). Those kids were big, strong and fast. Talk about D1 caliber plus two in the NFL I said it before and I'll keep saying I'll take 89 anytime even over the teams I played on /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> With all of that being said 4 in a row ain't no joke /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Quarter Mac might have been in diapers back then, but I definitely know what type of talent was on that team because I was very close to most of the players (can anybody say Psi Kappa Phi?). Those kids were big, strong and fast. Talk about D1 caliber plus two in the NFL I said it before and I'll keep saying I'll take 89 anytime even over the teams I played on /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> With all of that being said 4 in a row ain't no joke /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No doubt the 89 team was the best. They had the size and speed that year. We were the best team in the state that year. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Your right I was on that Kingston 89 team, and we did have the second best team in the state, Alcoa beat

us on a 4th and goal bootleg play that Kevin Jackson scored on, that was a great game, that place was packed that

night, I remember the news saying that this game was the real state championship game that year, much respect to the 89 Alcoa team.