Smyrna vs Maryville

JDC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would win this epic battle. Of course I would pick Smyrna but is really Really good So what do you think?

Maryville would have THUMPED Smyrna last year. This year it would be hard to say. I would never pick against a George Quarels coached team though. Maryville was not the most talented team in the state this year. I would venture to say there was a minimum of 10 teams in the state that had better talent then Maryville including Maplewood.

Maryville would have THUMPED Smyrna last year. This year it would be hard to say. I would never pick against a George Quarels coached team though. Maryville was not the most talented team in the state this year. I would venture to say there was a minimum of 10 teams in the state that had better talent then Maryville including Maplewood.

I agree! IMO Maryville was not overall as talented last year as Hillsboro or the first time but still won! Last year Hillsboro kept your run game in check but we had no answer for the passing game. Quarles exposed our secondary with burnett to maples all day and we couldn't stop it. The maryville coaches do an excellent job utilizing the positions where they are talented and use those players to win with. Maplewood was the most talented team Hillsboro played but turnovers is how they beat us in the play-offs. Smyrna, MBA or BA against maryville would be games to see. I'm not sure I would bet against Quarles and co. no matter who they were playing. Maybe the Colts! HAHA! Will maryville be reclassified next go round?

smyrna is not even the best team in their region. the won the state championship, FACT. i definately wouldnt count them out against maryville either, cause a passing attack like theirs is a rarity in high school ball. few know how to defend it.

some smyrna fans will be mad at this comment, but theres no need to be, its an opinion. you won state and thats really all that matters right?

3 different teams proved you werent invincable and can be beat 3 different ways:

lebanon - kept the ball out of your hands

brentwood academy - took you out of your element (sonny getting hurt)

riverdale - didnt do either, just flat out beat you. we even saw the dominant passing game

Lebanon-Agree

Brentwood Academy-The time ran out, they got lucky! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Riverdale- The only reason they won is cause they kept the ball out of our hands the WHOLE first quarter. Oh and you fail to mention how smyrna scored 29 point in the 3rd quarter and nearly had a comeback. Oh and BTW. Wilson Central murdered you....OH i forgot, who murdered WC in the playoffs? I guess riverdale wasn't invincible even tho they were 11-0 regular season. Sounds like Gallatin from last year.

This is exactly what I thought when I 1st saw this topic; I believe it would be a great game either way this year but this years Smyrna team may have too much over-all team speed for them.....

smyrna is not even the best team in their region. the won the state championship, FACT. i definately wouldnt count them out against maryville either, cause a passing attack like theirs is a rarity in high school ball. few know how to defend it.

some smyrna fans will be mad at this comment, but theres no need to be, its an opinion. you won state and thats really all that matters right?

3 different teams proved you werent invincable and can be beat 3 different ways:

lebanon - kept the ball out of your hands

brentwood academy - took you out of your element (sonny getting hurt)

riverdale - didnt do either, just flat out beat you. we even saw the dominant passing game

if we didnt throw that interception ;late in the 4th we would have won...and if sonny had saw will in the middle of the field wide open by the endzone and didnt go for rod who was double coveered we would have won

the funny thing is, we had a dream match-up this year. Smyrna and BA BOTH deserve tons of credit for making that game between them happen this year. This game featured the defending D2-aa champ and the defending 5A champ, and by all accounts lived up to the billing. Those are the types of games we should see more of in TN.

I personally don't think it's any coincidence that teams like Ravenwood, Smyrna, and Independence, who will play anyone, anywhere, now have 3 titles and 5 BCB appearances between them the past 3 years at the highest classification.

if we didnt throw that interception ;late in the 4th we would have won...and if sonny had saw will in the middle of the field wide open by the endzone and didnt go for rod who was double coveered we would have won

If a bullfrog had wings it wouldn't bump it's butt every time it jumped! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

smyrna vs maryville

2 great teams - never gonna happen

this topic comes up every year whoever in 5a could they beay maryville? who knows

Now Smyrna fans do not answer any of these post about coulda shoulda woulda from various folks.

because Smyrna DID ------------ not a single one in 5a can say that period.

when you win back to back state titles you dont have to apologize for anything period. The fact is smyrna seniors graduate with 2 gold balls and 2 chamionship rings. When the stakes and the games counted most smyrna got it done.

10 and 0 in the playoffs the last 2 years. If anyone shows you their region championship ring --- well you can trump it pretty quick --- twice!!

your answer

THE! SMYRNA BULLDOGS BACK TO BACK 5A STATE CHAMPIONS.