William Blount

ETNbballfan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they lost a pretty good player from last year's team and may be struggling to find team chemistry.

OR maybe Jeff from Blount County has spread his cancerous attitude that he spews on the radio. JUST KIDDING. probably the first part. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Speaking strictly as a mom, I am a little disappointed at the WB girls basketball team this year. This is our first year at WB and I realize they lost 2 very strong players from last year but.......I do believe most of the remaining team returned. They also have several freshmen, a few with talent but possibly a little short on experience. I believe they just haven't hit the right mix yet, they don't seem to be in sync yet. Almost like girls that don't know each other are trying to play together. Just my opinion..... I wish them the best and I'm looking forward to when the chemistry finally kicks in.

Does anyone out there know what could be wrong with William Blount's girls basketball team this year? They seem to have very good talent and I know they only have 1 senior but they are getting blown out by teams that are not much better than them. Can anyone help help me understand?

I think you might have a skewed perception of "very good talent". Coach Fowler did a great job of putting an amazing player in a position to make plays and maximize the talent around her. However, when you take her away as a facilitator it changes everyones game. Second point, how do you define "Teams not much better than them"? The other teams are obviously a lot better if they are blowing WB out . District 4 is very competitive with a lot of great teams and talent, you must have players to compete. I have heard the WB has a really talented 8th grade class on the way up so the future might be looking up, until then get ready to take some licks and hope Kelly doesn't get hurt.

I really don't know what's the matter with this year's Lady Govs...they should be able to compete much better than they are...

The last two seasons, to be honest, have been dissapointing...with the players returning, and the talent we have, these results are painful and unexcusable.

This season's team:

ONE SENIOR ... great player (not quite at Puleo's level) who teams are keying on like crazy

SIX JUNIORS ... 2 of which have any "starting varsity experience" ... one starter already out with ACL ... one who has missed more practices than she has made because of sickness ... one in her first year of varsity action recovering from back surgery ... two who are great hustlers and great role players

TWO SOPHOMORES ... one who would have started as a freshmen before tearing acl ... reinjured the knee week before season started, is at best 70- 80%, has played in 4-5 varsity games ever -- the other a solid back-up, but still only a sophomore

THE REST FRESHMEN ... being forced into varsity action in one of the toughest districts around

That maybe sounds like a lot of excuses, but as "painful" as our results are right now ... I would say they are very "excusable". If everyone will stay with us and ride this out, we'll have you a good girls basketball team before it's all said and done.

Our girl's program didn't get to where it was overnight, and it's not gonna get back to where it needs to be overnight. But we've got a great coaching staff and a bunch of young, young girls who work hard and who will eventually succeed. Stay with us folks.

I was at the Farragut vs. WB game and it seemed to me that the WB girls have terrible attitudes. The PG I don't remember her name but I think she is #24 has the worst attitude of them all. She was yelling at her teammates the whole time and then pushed a Farragut player and got a technical. It seems like her attitude is cancerous to her teammates. I think their attitude has alot to do with why they aren't playing good.

I was at the Farragut vs. WB game and it seemed to me that the WB girls have terrible attitudes. The PG I don't remember her name but I think she is #24 has the worst attitude of them all. She was yelling at her teammates the whole time and then pushed a Farragut player and got a technical. It seems like her attitude is cancerous to her teammates. I think their attitude has alot to do with why they aren't playing good.

Attitude is a battle you certainly have to deal with when you're in the midst of a losing streak. Everybody is frustrated and it get's real easy to start trying to find someone else to blame. The young lady you mention is a great player and a great person. She is the lone senior on the team and her senior season isn't exactly playing out how she had hoped. She is very competitive and sometimes, as I said, that can lead to alot of frustration when things aren't going well. She is loved and respected by her whole team.

I know every girl on the squad and you are wrong in your idea that they have "terrible attitudes." They are high school girls (I might get flogged for this ... sorry ladies) and we have our occasional bouts of 'drama', but in the end they have good chemistry, they love their coach, they are working their butts off in practice, and they are growing mentally, emotionally, and physically.

I wouldn't trade the young women we have for any other team, regardless of won/loss record. Naysayers beware ... it's not gonna be like this forever!

There are some coaches (not very many) that would put her butt on the bench for displaying an attitude whether winning or losing. After watching the WB coach for several years, I would say that he would not be one of those. They may be wonderful young ladies and have good chemistry, love their coach and all that stuff, but the basketball court is no place to display a poor attitude IMO. Part of learning the game and life lessons are handling and dealing with adversity. It's the parents and coaches job to teach this to our young people. Oh, wait a minute, I almost forgot it is 2007 and most of the young coaches and parents did not learn this when they were young people so we should not expect them to teach our children this lesson. Just a thought. I hope that the WB ladies get their season and attitudes turned around.