Coaching

SmyrnaTank

I'm still young and in high school. I play football and would like to believe I'm good enough for a college to want. I don't feel like in any way I'd be able to go pro, but I want to stay in football and it auto clicked in my mind to coach. I know alot about football and all that great stuff., BUT WHERE DO I START?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still young and in high school. I play football and would like to believe I'm good enough for a college to want. I don't feel like in any way I'd be able to go pro, but I want to stay in football and it auto clicked in my mind to coach. I know alot about football and all that great stuff., BUT WHERE DO I START?

First off I would talk to your counselor at school and they can direct you into the proper courses. I know my son has changed his major in college to secondary education and post secondary education because he wants to go into the coaching profession. I hope I have helped a little anyway! Best of luck to you! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Go to college, major in education, (special education certification will get you a job in about any school system you would want to coach in), pass the praxis, and start applying !!!!! goodluck !!!!!

Also get certified in classes other than PE and Drivers Ed so you will be able to go more places you might want to coach. The math and sciences are always hurting for good teachers at schools that may already be full of PE teachers.

Also know that your PRIMARY job will be that of a teacher first and Coach second. Also be prepared for low pay and LONG hours and folks being on your back constantly because you cannot please EVERYBODY.

Talk to your football coaches and see how they got their jobs! You might be suprised. Go to coaching clinics. Ask questions. Don't limit your self to one section of Tennessee or Tennessee for that matter. You have to go where the job's are. And remember on into your career why you got into this profession to start with. Let your wife you will not be home on Friday's until 3:30 Sat. morning. She will have to play father on Sunday when you are breaking down films. Monday is the "B" team game and finishing up the poop sheets to give players on Tuesday. Thursday, you are painting the field or watching the Freshman play. Friday is of course the game. Saturday is the only off day. So I hope you do choose the coaching profession, especially middle or high school. Good young are hard to find these days.

Talk to your football coaches and see how they got their jobs! You might be suprised. Go to coaching clinics. Ask questions. Don't limit your self to one section of Tennessee or Tennessee for that matter. You have to go where the job's are. And remember on into your career why you got into this profession to start with. Let your wife you will not be home on Friday's until 3:30 Sat. morning. She will have to play father on Sunday when you are breaking down films. Monday is the "B" team game and finishing up the poop sheets to give players on Tuesday. Thursday, you are painting the field or watching the Freshman play. Friday is of course the game. Saturday is the only off day. So I hope you do choose the coaching profession, especially middle or high school. Good young are hard to find these days.

BOY!!!! you hit the nail on the head with your daily breakdown of activities there. As a first year coach this year (straight outta college), i can tell you that my first season can definitely be summed up in two words: LEARNING EXPERIENCE. i only hope that all of my seasons to come will install as much knowledge on me as this one did.

But yeah, listen to what these guys are telling you. go to school, major in a particular subject (math, history, government, etc.) and then minor in secondary education. also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to pick up a second or third minor in other subject areas in order to broaden your chances of finding a job (i could have in the time i wasted enrolling in about five or six courses i didn't need). best of luck, and i know you will do just fine.