Region 3-3A 2008 Favorites & Why

OldBallCoach88

First let me say that its a joke for him to be given boot camp and then all will be forgotten. As for what happened I heard from three different people with ties to Etowah that he was passed out at the community center and the police found him and had gotten him out and searched his vehicle before he even knew where he was at. As for the drugs involved you heard right from my sources. I have to ask this question regarding Coach Derrick's father. What are Mr. Derricks motives, to help out a young man or keep him out of trouble and eligible for next year. I am quessing he would not of taken him in if he wasn't the starting QB for his son's football team and a key to next year being a success or failure for his own son. If this happened next year at this time and Mr. Jackson was a senior the story would probably be different. What about the other kids that have had brushes with trouble and drugs who is going to take them in and give them the same chance??

I give up, you Polk Co Intellectuals win! We will just throw anyone that messes up to the wolves and add to our drug problem in East Etowah and Parkstown. It doesn't matter that there are a few with some athletic tallent that IF they can be turned around, they could get a college education and break the pattern of past individuals. Yep, thats the ticket!! I feel for the high and mighties out there that find it that easy to turn on kids that need guidence. I am glad you haven't run into that problem YET at Polk, it is not fun and makes for hard decisions, but some people do, in their heart, want kids to grow into good adults. So if you don't know Richard Derrick, don't judge him on what you think, I know where his heart is in helping a kid.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up, you Polk Co Intellectuals win! We will just throw anyone that messes up to the wolves and add to our drug problem in East Etowah and Parkstown. It doesn't matter that there are a few with some athletic tallent that IF they can be turned around, they could get a college education and break the pattern of past individuals. Yep, thats the ticket!! I feel for the high and mighties out there that find it that easy to turn on kids that need guidence. I am glad you haven't run into that problem YET at Polk, it is not fun and makes for hard decisions, but some people do, in their heart, want kids to grow into good adults. So if you don't know Richard Derrick, don't judge him on what you think, I know where his heart is in helping a kid.

I dont think that the area you are from makes a difference, everyone has problems in all schools. It all depends on how you handle those problems. If kids understand that there is "0" tolerance then their behavior will change if they want to participate. You may lose that first kid, but all of the ones that follow will learn to adhere to rules or suffer the same consequenses.

oh man all the good ole englewood and etowah boys know what i'm talking about but that's not a big topic on coacht cause it's not mr jackson...but when they start talking about it i promise the will say it's not the same thing..a crime is a crime...well a felony is a felony....and if you get charged your suppose to sit out 90 days but that didn't happen to the kid from englewood...

Any updates from the court system? Whats the Mcminn County school board policy on this type of issue?

As far as the court system goes nothing but rumors and heresay. As far as the schoolboard goes, who knows? Central has a student/athlete policy that says if you get caught off campus with drugs-alcohol-firearms -you are suspended 90 SCHOOL days from participating and attending athletic functions. The key here is "SCHOOL DAYS", this does not include weekends-holidays-or summer break. I did not do the math but was told this would put him out till after the 3rd game next year. This means no spring ball- no summer weight lifting-no summer passing leagues- no two a day practices. Then on top of all that, throw in whatever the court system does.

OldSchoolCharger, you think because someone has some athletic ability they should be treated different and not held accountable. If he was not an athlete you would not want him in school and around the kids in your community. I say if Central was 2-8 last year and this kid had a bad year and average ability you would be singing another song. However some of you Etowah and Englewood intellectuals feel WINNING is everything and values seem to take a back seat. How many times has Mr.Jackson been into some kind of trouble relating to drugs? What two or three in the past year not to mention other issues. What real lesson are you teaching this young man? Let me tell you, not holding him accountable for his actions will spell failure when he goes to college. Until he gets due punishment for his crime and realizes that there are consequences for his actions this will be a never ending cycle. BTW how many other kids is he hurting by his actions? One last thing about his future in college, if Coach Derrick is truthful about Mr. Jackson's past when asked by college recruiters no one will want to take a chance on him! Mr. Jackson is a good athlete but not good enough for someone to overlook all these drug charges and how much he had in his possession.

Well Folks I know its early but we got time to kill. Heres my list and I dont know much about some, so jump in and lets talk about it, convince me why I'm right or wrong (it does happen).

1. McMinn Central - They gotta couple of holes to fill but they should return a solid core of players.

2. Polk County - You just always count on tradition with those folks.

3. Notre Dame - Too much tallent to stay down for long.

4. (Tie)

Howard - Athletes are still there, but also have some hiles to fill.

Sequoyah - This team has potential, returns alot of starters on both sides of the ball.

6. (Tie)

East Ridge - If rumors about the coach is true, there may be a learning curve there.

Meigs County - Big questions on offense, can they make the answer.

8. Grundy County - I hope this team suprises me, and wish you good luck next season.

9. Tellico Plains - Alot of youngsters got to play last year and gained good experience, just lacking skilled position.

With everything going on at McMinn Central, my prediction would be:

1. Polk County

2. Howard

3. Notre Dame

4. Sequoyah

5. East Ridge

6. McMinn Central

7. Meigs

8. Grundy

9. Tellico

If Central gives Jackson yet another chance, I would bump them up to 2nd.

OldSchoolCharger, you think because someone has some athletic ability they should be treated different and not held accountable. If he was not an athlete you would not want him in school and around the kids in your community. I say if Central was 2-8 last year and this kid had a bad year and average ability you would be singing another song. However some of you Etowah and Englewood intellectuals feel WINNING is everything and values seem to take a back seat. How many times has Mr.Jackson been into some kind of trouble relating to drugs? What two or three in the past year not to mention other issues. What real lesson are you teaching this young man? Let me tell you, not holding him accountable for his actions will spell failure when he goes to college. Until he gets due punishment for his crime and realizes that there are consequences for his actions this will be a never ending cycle. BTW how many other kids is he hurting by his actions? One last thing about his future in college, if Coach Derrick is truthful about Mr. Jackson's past when asked by college recruiters no one will want to take a chance on him! Mr. Jackson is a good athlete but not good enough for someone to overlook all these drug charges and how much he had in his possession.

I read this three times brfore responding. I really had respect for you last year but I am not so sure right now. I NEVER said he shouldn't be held accountable, I NEVER said he should be treated differently, there is a policy in place that should be adhered to. I really don't know where you keep saying winning is everything, heck we have only had 1 winning season in a while and it is driving you folks crazy. And again you keep saying repeated offenses, and charges, that is your opinion and has been beat to death here. I just wish you folks would quit guessing what is going to happen, you need to worry about Polk and let Central deal with Central. You folks are idiots if you thing Coach Derrick makes decisions ALONE on player eligilibility, the principal, athletic director, all the other coaches always, and sometimes the Superintendent has to sign off on decisions. Quit acting like it is his decision alone and quit guessing.

I read this three times brfore responding. I really had respect for you last year but I am not so sure right now. I NEVER said he shouldn't be held accountable, I NEVER said he should be treated differently, there is a policy in place that should be adhered to. I really don't know where you keep saying winning is everything, heck we have only had 1 winning season in a while and it is driving you folks crazy. And again you keep saying repeated offenses, and charges, that is your opinion and has been beat to death here. I just wish you folks would quit guessing what is going to happen, you need to worry about Polk and let Central deal with Central. You folks are idiots if you thing Coach Derrick makes decisions ALONE on player eligilibility, the principal, athletic director, all the other coaches always, and sometimes the Superintendent has to sign off on decisions. Quit acting like it is his decision alone and quit guessing.

Why would you lose respect for me stating my thoughts on this matter. I see this stuff day in and out at my school do you? In this school system I see kids with drug problems and those that use drugs daily, it is a big problem in this county. As a former coach I have seen first hand what things like this does to the athletic programs in schools and how other kids respond. If you don't take care of the problem right now you have lost the fight. I have seen more than one kid become a statistic because no one stepped up after the first one or two incidents and said this is enough you are gone. At one point and time you have to say, am I hurting or helping this young man and my team by keeping him around? How many other kids will be influenced by his actions and conduct, other kids look up to him as a role model. So what message are you sending other kids please explain? BTW you said "We will just throw anyone that messes up to the wolves and add to our drug problem in East Etowah and Parkstown. It doesn't matter that there are a few with some athletic tallent that IF they can be turned around, they could get a college education and break the pattern of past individuals." my interpretation of that is to do everything you can to keep this kid around because he could get a college education, no matter what destruction he leaves in his path and how many other kids he has turned onto drugs before he graduates. As for the "IF they can be turned around" how many times does it take before the coach's, AD and principal say is enough. It is obvious he is one of the people that is causing the drug problem IF the amount of drugs in his possesion was correct. Let me leave you with this as far as decisions go, Coach Derrick has the power to make this his decision and the administration would back him because he is the head coach! So don't give me that crap about it being more than his decision only. I know better!! I would say Coach Armstrong, Coach Morgan, Coach Goodin and Coach Hart makes those decisions on their own and you do not hear about these problems going on in their programs!!

Why would you lose respect for me stating my thoughts on this matter. I see this stuff day in and out at my school do you? In this school system I see kids with drug problems and those that use drugs daily, it is a big problem in this county. As a former coach I have seen first hand what things like this does to the athletic programs in schools and how other kids respond. If you don't take care of the problem right now you have lost the fight. I have seen more than one kid become a statistic because no one stepped up after the first one or two incidents and said this is enough you are gone. At one point and time you have to say, am I hurting or helping this young man and my team by keeping him around? How many other kids will be influenced by his actions and conduct, other kids look up to him as a role model. So what message are you sending other kids please explain? BTW you said "We will just throw anyone that messes up to the wolves and add to our drug problem in East Etowah and Parkstown. It doesn't matter that there are a few with some athletic tallent that IF they can be turned around, they could get a college education and break the pattern of past individuals." my interpretation of that is to do everything you can to keep this kid around because he could get a college education, no matter what destruction he leaves in his path and how many other kids he has turned onto drugs before he graduates. As for the "IF they can be turned around" how many times does it take before the coach's, AD and principal say is enough. It is obvious he is one of the people that is causing the drug problem IF the amount of drugs in his possesion was correct. Let me leave you with this as far as decisions go, Coach Derrick has the power to make this his decision and the administration would back him because he is the head coach! So don't give me that crap about it being more than his decision only. I know better!!

I am sorry I said what I did about the respect thing, That was not the Christian way to respond. I guess if I am going to err on handling a person, it is going to be on trying to correct a problem and give a kid a chance to change. If it is true about Mr. Derrick taking him in, I promise you it is the Last opportunity for him. If he does turn around don't you think that could also be an inspiration to other kids? I am also tuned into a lot that happens around Central and I haven't heard about "all these other kids he has turned onto drugs", I just ask that you let the court and the administration do their jobs and then comment about what actually does happen and not keep spectulating about what might happen. I really don't care if he plays a down this year if it hurts the team. There are enough other returning athletes to still show up and play well on fridays. Again, I will wait on what happens, it is a long time until fall. And again I apologise for my comments, I know you are a good person.