Union City's Newest / Coach Bowling & Coach Kennedy

uctfan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to Coach Bowling but both of you do not have a clue. He never wanted to be in Dyersburg in the first place. He tried to back out of the job over Christmas break last year. He was not ran off. He left on his own.

Yeah OK right!!!!! You're right I'm wrong. We just have a difference of opinion. Everyone is not going to agree with you. You don't have to try to get me to think like you. Once again as I stated before good luck to Coach Bowling, his family, and staff. Union City is a nice town with good people. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I don't believe you will see a large movement of county kids to the city school. There are some every year that go from county junior high to city high school, then there are those like P&G's son that returned to the county. I know of another that will be transferring back to the county after Christmas break. There will always be some kids that leave one school for the other, but I don't think there will be a migration of county kids to the city school just to be with Coach Bowling. He is a good christian man, a good coach, and well liked. But I don't think he will create an increase in the city school numbers. Best wishes Darren.

I don't think there will be a migration either....I will tell you this,Union City High School is a fine school...My son had been in the county school system from K-8th grade....There was nothing personal against anyone from the county when he decided to go to Union City and there was nothing personal against anyone from the city when he transferred to Obion Central...He had a great experience on the freshman football team and was going to have the same experience on the freshman basketball team...There are great kids with great families at Union City,white and black...But at the end of the day,he just wasn't at home at Union City...He had gone through K-8 at Ridgemont and all his friends were at Central...I won't belittle either school system...I think our county is very lucky to have two school systems the caliber of the two we have....I'm a Union City guy...I went to school there and played there...I won't apologize to anyone at Obion Central for that...If people have a problem with that so be it....I will support my son just as much with him being a Rebel as I would if he were a Tornado,just like I did my oldest son....

I have experience with coach Bowling because my oldest son played for him the four years Bowling was at OC....OC and D-Burg's loss is definitely Union City's gain...Bowling will have this program back deep in the playoffs just like Union City fans are used to being and don't be surprised to see a Gold Football next to the three Silver ones in that very crowded trophy case in the next three years.....

I don't think there will be a migration either....I will tell you this,Union City High School is a fine school...My son had been in the county school system from K-8th grade....There was nothing personal against anyone from the county when he decided to go to Union City and there was nothing personal against anyone from the city when he transferred to Obion Central...He had a great experience on the freshman football team and was going to have the same experience on the freshman basketball team...There are great kids with great families at Union City,white and black...But at the end of the day,he just wasn't at home at Union City...He had gone through K-8 at Ridgemont and all his friends were at Central...I won't belittle either school system...I think our county is very lucky to have two school systems the caliber of the two we have....I'm a Union City guy...I went to school there and played there...I won't apologize to anyone at Obion Central for that...If people have a problem with that so be it....I will support my son just as much with him being a Rebel as I would if he were a Tornado,just like I did my oldest son....

I have experience with coach Bowling because my oldest son played for him the four years Bowling was at OC....OC and D-Burg's loss is definitely Union City's gain...Bowling will have this program back deep in the playoffs just like Union City fans are used to being and don't be surprised to see a Gold Football next to the three Silver ones in that very crowded trophy case in the next three years.....

Word is Joe will be back in the county after Christmas break. He says he wants it bad, just gotta convince Dad. Mom is on board with it. I think both are great schools, but I think he and yours will be more comfortable at OC with the rest of the Ridgemont "hoods", including mine.

Darren is a good coach. The veer is designed to operate for teams that do not have superstars, but have talent. The ball is spread according to what the defense tries to stop. In Dyersburg, they had some stellar backs. Defenses were set up to take away the pitch man and force the QB to beat them. Excellent strategy. When you limit the playmakers touches, you increase your chances to win. As the old saying goes, chance favors the prepared mind. The veer was not suited for Dyersburg's mentality in that they were looking at backs having huge rushing numbers which, in a different scheme, would have been true. The veer does not accomodate star players, although D'burg had a plethera of them. Today's defenses are not as set years past. You can isolate individual keys and force the QB to keep the ball. Logan was a good QB, but forcing him to beat you with his feet is just sound strategy. And we both know that Coach Bowling doesn't fill the air with passes like some thought he would do if D'burg's run wasn't effective enough. I'm no big fan of the veer, although it can be effective in some venues. With the speed UC usually has and the deceptive design combined with Chase knowing how to run it, it should prove to be effective for UC. Me, I wish Darren and his staff best wishes. Now, if we could just get Decker back home! Driggers really is a good coach and a good man as well. I know many would argue that, but not me. I support him fully. He has a young staff that will grow with him. He needs to be left alone to put his program in place. His enthusiasm and knowledge are excellent, and will overcome his lack of head coach experience. What better place to prove yourself than on Rebel Field.

More like the Ridgemont Mafia... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It's not as easy to transfer anymore...You don't just stroll up in there and tell them you are transferring...We found that out real quick...

I just wonder how long folks at OC will leave Driggers alone especially after a 0-10 season.....

Talking about coach Decker...I know his wife is coaching the boys freshman basketball team...I saw them a couple of weeks ago when D-Burg came to OC to play the freshman and JV team....Their son would be a nice addition to the basketball team if they did come back...I think he would be eligible right off,unlike mine...My son would not be eligible for football at all next year(he is not going to play anyway)and he won't be eligible for varsity basketball until Nov.28 of next season...He will miss five or six games probably...

• 2 weeks later...

As it relates to the transferring of students to this school because this coach is here or there that depends upon the individual situation and what's best for the student and family at the time.

One of the earlier posts did hit the nail on the head though when they mentioned about two "county" schools being built just a couple of miles outside of the UC City limits during the consolidation of the county schools back in the early 80's. The Powers that be had in mind to have city kids go to county schools if they wish and the actual locations of the schools is reflected of that instead of where they should've been located geographically which SHOULD have had the interest of the kids in mind at the time WHICH WASN"T /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

An example of this in Ridgemont's case - that school was built to consolidate Rives and Kenton but it was built between Rives and Union City(go figure) Lake Road was to consolidate Woodland Mills and Dixie but was build just west of Union City (go figure again /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )

That's why the county school system is being approached time and time again to build more rooms and add on to these locations is because they are running out of room. These problems will ALWAYS exist because no one has the intestinal fortitude to do anything about it -- so we'll move on /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

As it relates to the matter at hand, Darren and Wes will be a huge asset to the Tornado program- Both have proven track records of turning programs around and putting a competitive product on the field and with the 1A league UC participates in, they should be successful in a hurry.. congrats and best of luck /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I believe Coach Bowling and his staff will have every opportunity to excel. He will have the athletes, excellent facilities ( how many 1A teams, heck 5A teams have an indoor football facility and field house like UC does ) and the full backing of the UC faithful.

Historically, there has not been much transistion between county and city schools as far as students transferring. Even when the county wins were threadbare in the past and their facilities were pretty rough (up to the 2000's) county kids did not come to UC because of sports (or vice versa) There is a perception of race that causes a parent to allow a child to transfer, not because of a better athletic opportunity, but because of race issues. This is nothing new, it has been going on for decades between UC and the county.

• 1 month later...

What is the latest buzz about Union City's program??...I hear they got a truck-load of new weight-lifting equipment...I also hear there are some new players that are going to be on the team next season..I know of one prominant young player from Obion Central that has transferred to Union City and I hear coach Bowling has already made a uniform change...How many of the current assistants are going to be back??Also heard Spring Practice wasn't going to be held until May and that UC wouldn't be scrimmaging anyone this year...Changing the offense to the Mid-Line Option/Veer is going to take some time...UC fans will have to be patient,it's a tough offense to get a grasp of...