Should a loss ever be blamed on the coach?

WoodenFan

If two teams are evenly matched, and play close the entire game, and one team wins on a last second shot, no one should be blamed. You come away knowing that you just witnessed a quality basketball game where someone had to lose, and someone had to win. But, if the coach suddenly makes a change in the last two minutes of that close game that leads to a 10 point loss, should they be blamed for that loss. Give me scenarios where you think a game was lost by certain things the coach did.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL losses should be placed solely on the officiating crew.

I will take that.

The TEAM which includes the coaching staff. In the paper it's going to say that the TEAM lost not the coach lost or that a player lost...unless the coach gets a technical foul at the end of the game when they were clearly winning the game by 1 with .2 seconds on the clock and the team shoots the two free throws and wins by 1. Then it was clearly the coach that loss the game. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Everyone knows that all close losses are because of the refs all the rest are the coaches fault.

All wins belong to the team, or most especially your kid because everyone should know they can't win without her.

You know what, that is what most people think. If the team loses, it's the coach's fault. If they win, it's because the girls won it. Forget about every adjustments the coach made or who he/she decided to move around in the game or what plays he/she called to adjust to the teams defense or offense. Forget about what they worked on in practice/film session because none of that prepared them for the game anyway. It just comes with the territory. Expect no pats on the back ever. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> It should be the TEAM won the game and that includes everybody that had a positive effect in practice and in the game. That especially includes the scout team defense or offense that the starters practiced against.

You know what, that is what most people think. If the team loses, it's the coach's fault. If they win, it's because the girls won it. Forget about every adjustments the coach made or who he/she decided to move around in the game or what plays he/she called to adjust to the teams defense or offense. Forget about what they worked on in practice/film session because none of that prepared them for the game anyway. It just comes with the territory. Expect no pats on the back ever. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> It should be the TEAM won the game and that includes everybody that had a positive effect in practice and in the game. That especially includes the scout team defense or offense that the starters practiced against.

Not gonna argue with your reasoning, coach. But you missed one point. You are assuming that all coaches prepare the same. "Scout team defense or offense that the starters practiced against" are you serious? Sounds like you take your job serious by having scout teams, by having film sessions, make adjustments during the game...I bet you would even practice on the weekend before a big game on Monday. Don't be so naive, coach. Not all coaches prepare the way you do.

Not gonna argue with your reasoning, coach. But you missed one point. You are assuming that all coaches prepare the same. "Scout team defense or offense that the starters practiced against" are you serious? Sounds like you take your job serious by having scout teams, by having film sessions, make adjustments during the game...I bet you would even practice on the weekend before a big game on Monday. Don't be so naive, coach. Not all coaches prepare the way you do.

If you have seen me coach you would agree that a loss can be blamed on a coach. You win as a team. You lose as a team. Do coaches make big mistakes...yes Do they cost teams games yes. Usually learning how not to make mistakes makes you a great coach. We are in a blame someone world. I am sure that if the coach had not taken out your kid, you would have won. she was able to stop all five players on the other team, she never misses a shot from the floor or the ft line and has not given up a point on defense all year. Let it go...it does not matter

Have a great day...

I think you just answered your own question Woodenfan. Coaches are not created equal. There are good ones and not so good ones, those that prepare and those that don't.......I guess my point is, no matter what, the team takes the hit for the loss, however their coaching could certainly have influence over "why" they lost....the team after all must do as the coach says (in my humble opinion) /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> ! Oh I should probably add here, that certainly the "team" may not execute or practice their hearts out or work their butts off no matter how good the coach is....but a good coach will get that out of his players I believe..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

There are good coaches and bad coaches, just like there are good players and bad players. Good coaches like players are born with the raw ability, a coach just like a player must be developed. Just like players, some coaches don't work as hard as others. Look at your better teams year end year out, decade in decade out, you will find the teams that win consistently have coaches that put the time and effort in to make that happen. To name a few I know of Russell, McMillan, Rudesill, the guy @ MTSU that coached Shelbyville (I'm brain dead), Frazier, Sisco, Whitby, etc all these guys win much more than they lose. Are there others, yes, a lot of young good ones, who have not coached a decade yet, but will join the list soon, as their programs get setup.

We are in a blame someone world. I am sure that if the coach had not taken out your kid, you would have won. she was able to stop all five players on the other team, she never misses a shot from the floor or the ft line and has not given up a point on defense all year. Let it go...it does not matter

Have a great day...

Things must be great where you are, and I hope they are. But kids only get to go through high school once. "Let it go?" Why don't you just say, "you shouldn't care," or, "you should always accept the way things are?" I never mentioned anything about a player, I'm talking about winning!

If you have seen me coach you would agree that a loss can be blamed on a coach. You win as a team. You lose as a team. Do coaches make big mistakes...yes Do they cost teams games yes. Usually learning how not to make mistakes makes you a great coach. We are in a blame someone world. I am sure that if the coach had not taken out your kid, you would have won. she was able to stop all five players on the other team, she never misses a shot from the floor or the ft line and has not given up a point on defense all year. Let it go...it does not matter

Have a great day...

I agree! But I'll throw a thought out there. There are a few coaches that like to take the credit for the win even though they never made a pass or shot, so they should get credit for the losses as well. Remember it's for the few that take credit for the wins.