THE TENNESSEAN

bball1999

Most all of the Nashville schools are in 12AAA and 9AA

McGavock, Hunters Lane, Lipscomb, Pearl, Mlk, Hume Fogg, Stratford, East Lit, Maplewood, Ezell, Whites Creek....etc.

Yesterday in the Tennessean, there were no box scores from any games in these two districts.

I remember being in high school and being so excited to see my name and my teammates in the paper. I callled down to the ol Tennessean yesterday to see what happened and to see if they could get the scores into the Sunday paper and the only person available was Joe Biddle.

Here are some of the box scores the chose to cover

Lewis Co. vs. Loretto, Collinwood vs. Zion Christian, Clay Co. vs. Red Boiling, Moore Co. vs. Cornersville, Warren Co.(ky) vs Pickett Co., Hampshire vs. Summertown, Hickman Co. vs East Hickman ....and on and on just look at it.

I hope this was a mistake.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't hurt for the visiting team to call it in or at least check and see if the home team has done it, especially when playing at teams that don't have strong programs.

As a poster who considers this a pet peave, when a school starts not posting, it is difficult to get them to start and most of the times it is because of a record that is not very good.

I actually discussed this issue with a couple of 9AA coaches yesterday. They promise they called in their scores. I believe them as I saw those scores on the Tennessean web site by 10:00 fri night. The Tennessean is seriously slipping. They basically shut out their core readership by not posting the boxes to those games. It is a shame, they should be embarrassed. I was in Orlando recently and their local paper had stories on 10 different friday night games and 4 pages devoted to HS basketball. It seems in Tennessee that if your not football you don't count. The editors of the Tennessean should be ashamed of themselves. I feel bad for those families that look forward to those scores and game write-ups.

And whatever happened to the scoring and shooting statistics on the Web?

I am a 9aa fan as well and checked the Tennessean website Friday at about 9:15 and all the girls scores were in.

Everyone should make a phone call tomorrow and give them their thoughts.

259-8010

The tennessean is a paper that has old news in it. If the story is not paid for by some company they really dont care. now if you pay for it they will slant it anyway that you would like. In the preps factory section they are still covering football and womens soccer. The editor listed all of the ways the paper was going to become more friendly to the community this included adding high school sports coverage. Looks like mr. lockridge is writing all of the articles on wrestling. The paper is good for lineing your bird cage or putting out for your dog.

It doesn't hurt for the visiting team to call it in or at least check and see if the home team has done it, especially when playing at teams that don't have strong programs.

Good point!

I actually discussed this issue with a couple of 9AA coaches yesterday. They promise they called in their scores. I believe them as I saw those scores on the Tennessean web site by 10:00 fri night. The Tennessean is seriously slipping. They basically shut out their core readership by not posting the boxes to those games. It is a shame, they should be embarrassed. I was in Orlando recently and their local paper had stories on 10 different friday night games and 4 pages devoted to HS basketball. It seems in Tennessee that if your not football you don't count. The editors of the Tennessean should be ashamed of themselves. I feel bad for those families that look forward to those scores and game write-ups.

And whatever happened to the scoring and shooting statistics on the Web?

This seems true, too. We're half-way through or better and the 'stats' still ain't up. No surprise, though.

The tennessean is a paper that has old news in it. If the story is not paid for by some company they really dont care. now if you pay for it they will slant it anyway that you would like. In the preps factory section they are still covering football and womens soccer. The editor listed all of the ways the paper was going to become more friendly to the community this included adding high school sports coverage. Looks like mr. lockridge is writing all of the articles on wrestling. The paper is good for lineing your bird cage or putting out for your dog.

The 'preps factory' is a quick read, indeed.

The teams deserve to have their games covered, or at least reported. In this electronic information age, it's certainly not difficult to do.

Thanks, foxylady. The problem with this summary of points is that not all games for all teams have been reported to "The Tennessean". If a coach doesn't call in their game by 10 PM, it won't make the print edition the next day. I know that Page is missing 3 games from their home page on "The Tennessean" where the home team didn't call in the games (Loretto, Lewis Co. and Smyrna). I do my reports here on Page's games to fill in the missing gaps and also provide more info that the newspaper box scores have. Some box scores also have incorrect points and threes are missing entirely from some. Although there is space for FT's, I don't think I've ever seen any of that data entered.