Does anyone remember the old Kenton Warriors teams or any of the playe

yankees8589

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man it is good to see old school on this board. I went to Trezevant High School in Trezevant, Tennessee. I can remember some battles with the teams from Kenton. I graduated in 1981 on that team I can remember Coach Marty Sisco some of the players were the Banks brothers Gene I believe was one of them, Timmy White has a son that plays at Ridgemont in Union City and I still have nightmares about Anothy Cannon. 1981 it was my senior year and that year there was about 8 to 10 teams in our district. We finished the regular season like number 1 and Kenton did not play enough district games so they finished like last. It was not that they were a bad team they were very good, but for some reason they just did not play many district games that year. So that put us playing them in the first round of the district tournament and of course that night Anothy could not miss every thing he put up whether he shot it or just threw it up it went in. We tried everything fouling him and everything but he could not miss and low and below that is where my basketball career ended. Thanks to Mr. ANOTHY CANNON. Man those were the days.

I remember seeing a picture of the all tournament team of that district in 1979....The Late Joe Denning who coached at Dyersburg had moved to Bradford...His son David was MVP of the tournament if I recall....and I remember Anthony Cannon.....Had a "big afro" looked like a minature Artis Gilmore.....

You have a fine memory, but that was Ronnie Banks not Anthony Cannon. The only reason I know this is becaue I was in the same grade as Cannon and we were not in High School ontil 1981.

You are just a few years older than me......if you were wild and crazy then we probably met at one time or another Good luck in finding what you need!

[/quote

I used to go to Trimble about every weekend back in those days. That was the only place I could by beer until I reached age. and my aunt owned the Silver Dollar Cafe. Also remeber the old shady rest , not sure if it's still there. It's been years since i have been in that part of DC. I do know DC playes Jackson Southside later this season , I will definitley bee there for that one. I think DC will Blow them out of there own GYM, as much as I hate to say that being that my son played For Southside last year, now he is about to start his 6 month in nuclear power school in the US NAVY. I'm sure others have aseen me state that before, just can't help myself I am So Proud Of Him.

Deputy Dog....What school did you play for. What are your thoughts of Anthony Cannon . He was a really good player .

Sorry yankees8589...been away from the computer...I played for Hampton(1983)...AC was the real deal...we had to go to a box & 1 on him to slow him down...like I said, he still got 28 I think.

I'm sure if you went to The Messenger in Union City you could see the newspaper articles from back then...If you could find David Bartholamew(sp??) or Tim Morris they were sports editors back then or you could try and talk to Mike Hutchens...Mike is the current sports editor and he has been their for many years now....

I remember back when they played a tournament with UC,OC,South Fulton and Kenton every year....

Man it is good to see old school on this board. I went to Trezevant High School in Trezevant, Tennessee. I can remember some battles with the teams from Kenton. I graduated in 1981 on that team I can remember Coach Marty Sisco some of the players were the Banks brothers Gene I believe was one of them, Timmy White has a son that plays at Ridgemont in Union City and I still have nightmares about Anothy Cannon. 1981 it was my senior year and that year there was about 8 to 10 teams in our district. We finished the regular season like number 1 and Kenton did not play enough district games so they finished like last. It was not that they were a bad team they were very good, but for some reason they just did not play many district games that year. So that put us playing them in the first round of the district tournament and of course that night Anothy could not miss every thing he put up whether he shot it or just threw it up it went in. We tried everything fouling him and everything but he could not miss and low and below that is where my basketball career ended. Thanks to Mr. ANOTHY CANNON. Man those were the days.

If you went to TREZVANT...What was the kid's name who COULD ALMOST TOUCH THE TOP OF THE BACKBOARD?...Was partially deaf if I could remember...Ricky?....Can't think of his name...that dude they said COULD GET UP....

Ricky Scates...That is it...Remember him being on an Jackson Sun Super team way back in 1978.....Dyersburg had Darryl Maze ( One of the best pure shooters I have EVER seen)....Ronald Johnson( WHO SHOULD HAVE PLAYED FOOTBALL)...Fayette Ware had Carlos Clark and Mitchell Chears, Kenneth Reaves from Bolivar ....Ricky Scates made the team and Everett Musgraves from Haywood County was player of the year... And I was like Trezvant?...I thought that was in Memphis..Then someone said it was a small school in somwhere in Gibson County...They said the Scates kid could almost touch the top of the backboard...And wasn't he partially deaf?...

Some other names I remember from the '83 state semi-final team are...Neal White, John Harris and wasn't the center named Lenny Banks...I definitely remember him...solid as a rock...strong player...I apologize if I misspelled anyone's name...been a long time.

I think the starting 5 was Lenny Banks (center) Neal White (PF) John L. Harris (SF) Anthony Cannon (2 guard) and Rod Russom (point guard). My memory is not that great, did you have to play 3 games to get to the finals back then and if so I wonder who Kenton beat in the first round. To be honest I thought they only played one game in state> If that's the case congrats on the win. Did you guys win the state that year?

How do you think Cannon would fare against today's players. It wouldn't suprise me if he could actuallty still play at a high level. He was an amazing player, Ithink Cannon in his prime was every bit as good as any of these high majors that have come along in recent years. Wonder what he would have averaged if the three pointer was in place back in the day?

I live in Kenton and know plenty of people in my family that played and went there up until the school closed and yes Jeff Chandler played there and still lives there. If you have any questions im sure that i could get the answers from somewhere.

Does Jeff Chandler coach the UC girls.