What's The Problem

cbg

What is the problem with the following schools and wrestling.

Raleigh Egypt, Bishop Byrne, Tennessee School for the Blind, Chattanooga Central, Hillwood, Hixson and McGavock

These schools had proud wrestling programs and one time but we now here very little about them? Do we have other programs in Tennessee that were on top in the past but are now on life support?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raleigh Egypt, Bishop Byrne, Tennessee School for the Blind, Chattanooga Central, Hillwood, Hixson and McGavock

These schools had proud wrestling programs and one time but we not here very little about them? Do we have other programs in Tennessee that were on top in the past but are now on life support?

I think the Florida sunshine might have fried your brain. Hixson is back. If you don't believe the word of the most intellectual man on this board, then call the Big Owl over at Ooltewah.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I'll tell you one on Feb 3rd

Hillwood will be down for a long time in every sport, there arn't that many athletes over there at all not to mention wresters. The feeder schools that go into hillwood are not any good add that to the problems in the administration among other things and you get terrible results. The 152 from there last year might just be the last region champ from hillwood in a very long time.

I think the Florida sunshine might have fried your brain. Hixson is back. If you don't believe the word of the most intellectual man on this board, then call the Big Owl over at Ooltewah.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Who might you think is the "most intellectual man on this board"? If we were discussing which bar has what beer on tap I might agree that you would be ranked in the Mensa category.

These schools had proud wrestling programs and one time but we not here very little about them? Do we have other programs in Tennessee that were on top in the past but are now on life support?

McGavock has a lot of underclassmen, but are working back. Metro schools tend to have a hard time getting students out for wrestling. It is the aspiration of most kids in the inner city, which is where most of their students come from, to be a basketball or football star. Try as you might, there is always an excuse by these kids as to why they don't want to wrestle. Look at schools in Metro like Whites Creek, Pearl-Cohn, etc., with no teams period. It's hard to get the commitment it takes for wrestling if they don't see any payoff in the future. Secondly, there is no parental support. A lot of Hillwood parents live about 10 miles from the school, with no transportation, what makes you think they are going to come to a wrestling mat. Also in Hillwood's case, the middle school programs are not that great and parents tend to send their kids to private schools than to Hillwood. Maybe if Metro rezones again the neighborhood kids will return. Maybe a lot of these football players will understand how helpful wrestling is to football, and maybe some of these football coaches will work with the wrestling progams to get these guys out for these teams.

Who might you think is the "most intellectual man on this board"? If we were discussing which bar has what beer on tap I might agree that you would be ranked in the Mensa category.

Glad to see you are still around. Did you get out early for good behavior?? I mean did you have a nice trip?

My boy I am just picking my spots

Let me just say that, next to Harry T., there's not a soul around here I missed more this season than Trouble Maker. TM had more great one liners last year than everyone else put together. BCB3 makes me laugh in his verbosity; TM makes me laugh in his brevity. Welcome back.

It's nice to see the professionals gathering 'round as crunch time approaches.

It is unfortunate that such schools are without wrestling programs, especially given some of their successes. It has been rumored that a Shelby County youth program coach has been discussing the possibility of establishing an inner-city youth wrestling program. This would be an accomplishment for any region in the state, but a huge one for the west.

Hopefully the feats of the soon to air wrestling 411 program and the efforts of other youth wrestling coaches, we will see these programs return.