Bartlett 8-4 4-0 14AAA @ Millington 21-0 4-0 14AAA

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

you are not ruled academically ineligible. You are academically ineligible or eligible. All kids know they have to pass 5 classes. If they don't, then you have to go to summer school. I would have loved to been at that game. Being a dad has draw backs on seeing hoops. Millington is one of only 3 undefeated AAA teams in the state.

Congrats.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are not ruled academically ineligible. You are academically ineligible or eligible. All kids know they have to pass 5 classes. If they don't, then you have to go to summer school. I would have loved to been at that game. Being a dad has draw backs on seeing hoops. Millington is one of only 2 undefeated AAA teams in the state.

Congrats.

You are incorrect in your assumption that "all kids know they have to pass 5 classes". I have spoken with alot of high school athletes and their parents and most of them were not aware until it was brought to their attention when this happened to JJ. Now, alot of them, as well as parents will make sure that they have the required 5 credits each year with none of their kids enrolled in study halls. The bottom line is that this did happen to JJ but some positive has come out of it due to the fact that her teammates are stronger and know how to play without her and others have learned from her situation.

I think it has been punishment enough for her to have to sit on the bench during the first half of the season unable to help her team on the court as well has be ridiculed by those who don't truly know what kind of student athlete she is. She is only human, and sometimes things happen to the best of us. She took a negative situation and turned it into a positive one, as she gave her teammates all of her support during that time and never missed a game nor practice.

FYI.....JJ has qualified with the NCAA Clearinghouse and is now weighing her options on where she will be attending school. Although she was ineligible based on credits for the year, her gpa and act scores were and are still fine.

Thanks for all your positive support /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You are incorrect in your assumption that "all kids know they have to pass 5 classes". I have spoken with alot of high school athletes and their parents and most of them were not aware until it was brought to their attention when this happened to JJ. Now, alot of them, as well as parents will make sure that they have the required 5 credits each year with none of their kids enrolled in study halls. The bottom line is that this did happen to JJ but some positive has come out of it due to the fact that her teammates are stronger and know how to play without her and others have learned from her situation.

I think it has been punishment enough for her to have to sit on the bench during the first half of the season unable to help her team on the court as well has be ridiculed by those who don't truly know what kind of student athlete she is. She is only human, and sometimes things happen to the best of us. She took a negative situation and turned it into a positive one, as she gave her teammates all of her support during that time and never missed a game nor practice.

FYI.....JJ has qualified with the NCAA Clearinghouse and is now weighing her options on where she will be attending school. Although she was ineligible based on credits for the year, her gpa and act scores were and are still fine.

Thanks for all your positive support /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I certainly did not know about the rule. I just thought the player had to be making reasonable progress toward graduation and have a certain GPA.

Could you clarify about the rule? You mentioned something about not having study halls. I'm not sure what that means. Is the rule that you have to complete 5 credits with a "D" or better (D is passing, right?) and no study halls or are you saying if you limit your study halls you can work in 5 credits more easily?

Again, I'm showing my ignorance. Looks like I've got a pattern going... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I certainly did not know about the rule. I just thought the player had to be making reasonable progress toward graduation and have a certain GPA.

Could you clarify about the rule? You mentioned something about not having study halls. I'm not sure what that means. Is the rule that you have to complete 5 credits with a "D" or better (D is passing, right?) and no study halls or are you saying if you limit your study halls you can work in 5 credits more easily?

Again, I'm showing my ignorance. Looks like I've got a pattern going... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Philten,

I am the first to buy into the belief that "the only dumb question is the question not asked"

You must pass 5 regular classes and passing is a "D" or better, but I think TSSAA has guidelines regarding the minimum gpa a student athlete may have. Study hall does not count towards credits. If you are enrolled in 6 classes with one of those classes being a study hall and you don't do well in another course, you would only have 4 credit hours for that year. Most coaches or counselors don't allow their athletes to take a study hall until senior year, but for some reason at Bartlett you are automatically placed in a study hall unless you request something different. For example, if you take food & nutrition which is only a semester course, you would need to take something else the next semester instead of replacing the second semester with a study hall. JJ's GPA at the end of the year was 3.0 and she had 10 credits (5.5 as a freshman, 4.5 as a sophomore) therefore she was classified as a Junior for the 2007-2008 school year, but TSSAA requires that a student athlete earn 5 credits each year to be eligible and does not go by cummulative credit hours. This year she is enrolled in 6 regular classes and is an honor roll student for the semester and will have the 5 required credits plus "one to grow on" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm so proud of the Bartlett Lady Panthers pulling off a huge win tonight against Cordova. Jasmine James what a classy girl on and off the court. I'm proud that shes doing well in Basketball and in the classroom. Her parents are the most classy people i have meet also. Colleges better look for Briana Walker also because she has had a heck of a season as well. Keep up to good work Lady Panthers lets win the Regular Season District tittle and Post season District and Region Championship.

Hope you have the right to post that kind of info about a student. There is no doubting the ability, poise and class of the young lady. TSSAA simply has the 5 credit rule. Summer school at Collierville is full of athletes from Gtown, Bartlett, Houston, C'ville, CBHS, and the city schools that have only passed 4 subjects. Due to guidelines set forth by Shebly County Schools, 5 classes is deemed a full load. The 6th class is an option that is chosen by the student. The state board of education dictates which classes receive credit.

Hope you have the right to post that kind of info about a student. There is no doubting the ability, poise and class of the young lady. TSSAA simply has the 5 credit rule. Summer school at Collierville is full of athletes from Gtown, Bartlett, Houston, C'ville, CBHS, and the city schools that have only passed 4 subjects. Due to guidelines set forth by Shebly County Schools, 5 classes is deemed a full load. The 6th class is an option that is chosen by the student. The state board of education dictates which classes receive credit.

Don't worry Dragonmaster, I more than have the right to post that kind of info about this student. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I wasn't implying that TSSAA requires 6 classes. I was suggesting that 6 classes gives "a little room for error" just in case a child is having unexpected difficulty in a particular course. Yet again, I will repeat, all student athletes are not aware of the 5 credit eligibility rule, and naturally those that do, take the appropriate steps during the summer to become eligible for their sport.

Don't worry Dragonmaster, I more than have the right to post that kind of info about this student. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I wasn't implying that TSSAA requires 6 classes. I was suggesting that 6 classes gives "a little room for error" just in case a child is having unexpected difficulty in a particular course. Yet again, I will repeat, all student athletes are not aware of the 5 credit eligibility rule, and naturally those that do, take the appropriate steps during the summer to become eligible for their sport.

If they are not aware of the rule, I would seriously question the coach. Memphis City Schools requires coaches that have students not make satisfactory progress to have student-athletes in an academic intervention such as tutoring or after school study hall, etc. That does not make sure they still pass the class. There are times players might not pass the required 5 credits, but the excuse should NEVER be that they did not know the information because someone on the coaching staff should be monitoring and providing assistance. I am not saying Bartlett's staff was at fault. I am just making a point the responsibility of ALL coaches throughout the state to monitor their players classroom progress.

Philten,

I am the first to buy into the belief that "the only dumb question is the question not asked"

You must pass 5 regular classes and passing is a "D" or better, but I think TSSAA has guidelines regarding the minimum gpa a student athlete may have. Study hall does not count towards credits. If you are enrolled in 6 classes with one of those classes being a study hall and you don't do well in another course, you would only have 4 credit hours for that year. Most coaches or counselors don't allow their athletes to take a study hall until senior year, but for some reason at Bartlett you are automatically placed in a study hall unless you request something different. For example, if you take food & nutrition which is only a semester course, you would need to take something else the next semester instead of replacing the second semester with a study hall. JJ's GPA at the end of the year was 3.0 and she had 10 credits (5.5 as a freshman, 4.5 as a sophomore) therefore she was classified as a Junior for the 2007-2008 school year, but TSSAA requires that a student athlete earn 5 credits each year to be eligible and does not go by cummulative credit hours. This year she is enrolled in 6 regular classes and is an honor roll student for the semester and will have the 5 required credits plus "one to grow on" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thanks for the education, janinepln2. It's very kind of you to share this information so willingly. Now, others can benefit from your unfortunate experience. I remember JJ when she was playing 10u AAU and she was mentally tough then. From what I've heard about her play now, things haven't changed any and she's picking up where she left off. Good luck for the rest of the season (unless you end up playing us /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ).