Pre-Season Predictions

Laydown

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAA in Knoxville: Besides Bearden (whom coach Turner seems to get the most out of each year, and has the All American Thomas Webster back again this year, I believe) I think Farragut has a lot of talent returning and will be good again. Look for Knox West to make some noise again. They were a very skilled and young team last season, and I believe will be even better this spring.

I think that Lavergne will have a good season this year. Yes, I do play for Lavergne, we have a lot of talent for our surroundings. And alot of good returning players. We held our own last year only losing 2 games, one being the District Semi-Final. We have a strong schedule this year for our school, teams Such as Hendersonville, Brentwood, Riverdale, Centennial, Franklin and so on. Im not on here trying to talk up my team because I never do that, I just think that we will be good competition this year.

In AAA, I do not think that we will see a Bearden or a Farragut champion. If there is a front runner, (and I'm not sure you can label any team a front runner in January), I would have to say that it is Knox West.

West has so many offensive weapons that they will be difficult to stop. In my opinion, Cody McCoy is the most complete player in the Knoxville area. He has a great supporting cast as well; Cat adds speed while Tanner can almost instantaneously change a game with his throw. If there is any sign of vulnerability on this team, it might be team defense. But who is to say that they won't be stronger on the defensive side this year as well? I also wonder about depth, but I don't know enough about their situation to talk about it intelligently.

Of course, Bearden should be the typical juggernaut as always, but with Walker gone, I think a few teams in Knoxville will have an easier time tucking one away.

I know better than to say Farragut will be down, as they reload better than any other HS team I have ever seen. I can hardly name three players on Farragut's varsity team right now, but I am sure there will be several "no-namers" that become "big-timers" by the end of the year.

I do think several other teams have a chance of beating the powerhouses this year as well:

1.) Maryville-several talented players, but they lack depth and a supporting cast

2.) Oak Ridge-young last year, but they could easily upset a more complete team that comes out flat.

3.) Brentwood-only seen them play once, but I have heard that they will be tough to beat this year as well.

AA/A-

Same as always, I believe....CAK and Catholic. However, a little birdie told me that Brandon is sticking with club...not saying that they don't have plenty of talent without him. Is my info. correct, G?

Best,

dins

Dins, your little birdie is in the right tree, but on the wrong branch. Brandon decided that he wanted to take some time off from soccer before he went to the University of South Carolina to play this fall. (Personally, I don't blame him, with as much soccer as he has played in the past 10 years). As of a month ago, he was going to run track for CAK (which will be a GREAT addition to their short distance runners) but he badly sprained his ankle playing basketball, of all things.

While the whole A/AA world might start shooting off fireworks (of which I don't blame them either) I actually am really looking forward to this season. While I don't like the San Diego Chargers, I really think there is a parallel here. When some of their main stars were out with injuries, everyone said, "The colts have this one, now", but what did the back ups, and the rest of the team do? They stepped up to the opportunity and excelled. It is/was really easy to put all of the pressure on a stars back when he is playing. But I saw time and time again, when Brandon came out for any reason, the guys seemed to realize the importance of their own roles.

Now, saying all of this... will I miss him? Of course! I love that boy! I have known him since I taught him in 6th grade, and we have an excellent relationship. I still talk to him on a weekly basis. But we as coaches have to realize that there is SO much more to this game than winning. These are young peoples lives that are being molded. And if Brandon feels that God is leading him in a different direction, who am I to stand in His way? But it isn't the soccer skills that I will miss the most. It is Brandon as a person. You guys usually only see his aggressive and competitive (and sometimes not the prettiest) side. I get to see him as a wonderful young man, who, like all of us, still has some learning to do. I will miss the chance to be with him as he learns some of those lessons.

I also don't mind if everyone "writes us off". I like being the underdog (just ask Hoya!)

Dins, your little birdie is in the right tree, but on the wrong branch. Brandon decided that he wanted to take some time off from soccer before he went to the University of South Carolina to play this fall. (Personally, I don't blame him, with as much soccer as he has played in the past 10 years). As of a month ago, he was going to run track for CAK (which will be a GREAT addition to their short distance runners) but he badly sprained his ankle playing basketball, of all things.

While the whole A/AA world might start shooting off fireworks (of which I don't blame them either) I actually am really looking forward to this season. While I don't like the San Diego Chargers, I really think there is a parallel here. When some of their main stars were out with injuries, everyone said, "The colts have this one, now", but what did the back ups, and the rest of the team do? They stepped up to the opportunity and excelled. It is/was really easy to put all of the pressure on a stars back when he is playing. But I saw time and time again, when Brandon came out for any reason, the guys seemed to realize the importance of their own roles.

Now, saying all of this... will I miss him? Of course! I love that boy! I have known him since I taught him in 6th grade, and we have an excellent relationship. I still talk to him on a weekly basis. But we as coaches have to realize that there is SO much more to this game than winning. These are young peoples lives that are being molded. And if Brandon feels that God is leading him in a different direction, who am I to stand in His way? But it isn't the soccer skills that I will miss the most. It is Brandon as a person. You guys usually only see his aggressive and competitive (and sometimes not the prettiest) side. I get to see him as a wonderful young man, who, like all of us, still has some learning to do. I will miss the chance to be with him as he learns some of those lessons.

I also don't mind if everyone "writes us off". I like being the underdog (just ask Hoya!)

I don't think anyone is going to write off CAK. I think you make a great point when referring to the Chargers. Good players step up when their go-to guy isn't in the game. I am sure that you will have your kids more than ready to embrace the challenge, and I know your kids are probably more than willing to prove that CAK is more than just Brandon Tarr. (I actually thought your team played some of its best games last year when you had to deal with his absence). Furthermore, I have always thought that CAK is the quintessence of the word "team."

Best of luck to Brandon. I am sure he has made a smart decision. All kids need a break; it prevents a burnout.

Big G...you make an excellent point on other team members stepping up. Example, in 2006 Baylor was a star filled team on offense...it was supposed to be there year. They had a very good year but fell short on what they wanted to accomplish at state. One of the stars is now playing D1 soccer in college. On to 2007 Baylor does not have a "star" so to speak but had strong team filled with strong players. Point is without a super star they played team ball and pulled together to win it all. Everything I have ever read you say is so positive. Good luck to you....I have a feeling your team will pull together as well.

BigG I really liked your post. Some of the stuff will help as I approach my own kids' decisions about sport.