Private Coaches vs Public Coaches

66in74

/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Devin DeLaughter (McCallie) resigned last night from the Spring Hill head coach position (after accepting the position) before ever coming to Spring Hill.

He was present and was announcned publicly as the head football coach at a basketball game last week, addressed the community and had a private meeting with the players.

Here's the question?

Public schools are limited by a "pay scale" plus a "supplement" established by a school board, based on years of experience as to what they can pay a head coach.

That information is almost always availbable on line and public information.

Privates can pay whatever they want!

The general public has no way of knowing what a private school coach is paid.

Case In Point:

DeLaugher resigned, after accepting the postion, because of pay! At McCallie he is making approx $8K more per year than what SH can pay. His wife is also employed by McCallie and makes close to the same amount.

McCallie pays for their housing! No rent! No house payment!

Did he use SHHS to get a pay raise at McCallie?

Are public and private schools equal as far as Head Coaches are conerned?

/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Devin DeLaughter (McCallie) resigned last night from the Spring Hill head coach position (after accepting the position) before ever coming to Spring Hill.

He was present and was announcned publicly as the head football coach at a basketball game last week, addressed the community and had a private meeting with the players.

Here's the question?

Public schools are limited by a "pay scale" plus a "supplement" established by a school board, based on years of experience as to what they can pay a head coach.

That information is almost always availbable on line and public information.

Privates can pay whatever they want!

The general public has no way of knowing what a private school coach is paid.

Case In Point:

DeLaugher resigned, after accepting the postion, because of pay! At McCallie he is making approx $8K more per year than what SH can pay. His wife is also employed by McCallie and makes close to the same amount.

McCallie pays for their housing! No rent! No house payment!

Did he use SHHS to get a pay raise at McCallie?

Are public and private schools equal as far as Head Coaches are conerned?

Hmmm - sounds like Mr. DeLaughter may have taken the negotiating a little far by actually accepting the position, but I think he ultimately made a wise business choice. You have to do what you can in this world to take care of your family first and foremost. I've played both sides against the middle many times over my business career - and it has always resulted in more income and better incentives.

Hmmm - sounds like Mr. DeLaughter may have taken the negotiating a little far by actually accepting the position, but I think he ultimately made a wise business choice. You have to do what you can in this world to take care of your family first and foremost. I've played both sides against the middle many times over my business career - and it has always resulted in more income and better incentives.

A little far? If he had accepted sitting in the office, then resigned, that's one thing. But getting up at half time at a basketball game to address the community and then having a 30-45 minute private meeting with the players is more than a "little far" in my opinion.

I agree one must do things to take care of family, but that also includes setting an example.

It's not always about $ is it?

Sounds to me like more of an individual issue with the coach himself and not all private school coaches in general. At face value, it doesn't look like Mr. DeLaughter handled that situation very well (but sometimes we don't know all of the information behind the scenes... not saying that you are wrong, just trying not to jump to conclusions).

As far as your salary issue, I think it depends on the school. In my 15 years of teaching and coaching, I have been at public schools that pay a LOT of money to coaches and publics that had very limited funds. You will find the same at privates. You might think that there are unlimited resources at private schools, but I work on a regulated stipend scale with stipuations that all salaries must come from the school and not through boosters or a supporter.

You're right, though; it shouldn't be all about the money, but as I said in the first paragraph, I think your beef was more with how he handled it, rather than him providing for his family (as PBandJ stated) am I correct?

I agree with BigG. This seems like a personal issue, not a public/private issue. On one hand, you can't fault someone for acquiring a job that pays better. On the other hand, there is the issue of following through with a commitment.

Another thing to consider is that not all private schools can pay what public schools can afford to pay. There are several small private schols in the Chattanooga area that have a much lower payscale than the county. Granted, McCallie, Baylor, and GPS have much more resources and can do such things. Just don't lump all privates in the same catagory.

A little far? If he had accepted sitting in the office, then resigned, that's one thing. But getting up at half time at a basketball game to address the community and then having a 30-45 minute private meeting with the players is more than a "little far" in my opinion.

I agree one must do things to take care of family, but that also includes setting an example.

It's not always about $ is it?

No, no - I'm agreeing with you too. I feel he went too far. My gushing sarcasm with "a little far" isn't quite so obvious in a text-based web forum world. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

After "tentatively accepting" the position, he should have then gone back to McCallie at that point and said, "hey, I took the job - now let's talk if you want me to stay."

It's not always about the money, but just looking at this case - it is:

At Spring Hill:

Estimated $45K per year salary (according to coaching friend's estimate)

Let's just estimate the wife's salary at $40K (assuming she is a teacher too)

That is it: $85K between the two of them.

At McCallie:

Estimated $53K per year salary (with the adjusted $8K difference from original post)

Wife's salary $53K per year salary (according to original post)

Guess on benefits of no house payment - $1300/month = $15,600 (my guess is that he is living in an on campus house is also responsible for additional duties since the school is a boarding school)

That equates to a whooping: $121K+.

It would be hard to argue that decision not being about the money. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Actually, he should have been flogged with a wet newspaper if he had not taken the McCallie job.

Sounds to me like more of an individual issue with the coach himself and not all private school coaches in general. At face value, it doesn't look like Mr. DeLaughter handled that situation very well (but sometimes we don't know all of the information behind the scenes... not saying that you are wrong, just trying not to jump to conclusions).

As far as your salary issue, I think it depends on the school. In my 15 years of teaching and coaching, I have been at public schools that pay a LOT of money to coaches and publics that had very limited funds. You will find the same at privates. You might think that there are unlimited resources at private schools, but I work on a regulated stipend scale with stipuations that all salaries must come from the school and not through boosters or a supporter.

You're right, though; it shouldn't be all about the money, but as I said in the first paragraph, I think your beef was more with how he handled it, rather than him providing for his family (as PBandJ stated) am I correct?

I would never have a problem with a person providing for their family.

My beef is more with how he handled it. Extremely unprofessional.

He seemed like a really sharp young man and I hope this doesn't hurt him when he wants to apply for another head job.

It put SHHS in a bad situation as well, because anyone offered the job now may consider themselves as 2nd choice?

Let's keep in mind that by Top privates we are talking about DII privates...which have already been split.

The DI privates don't pay nearly as well as most publics, and they have worse insurance and much worse retirement plans. Further the coaches and teachers have heavier class loads in general. The trade off is that the parents and kids are generally achiever types.

Just wanted to clarify the debate. McCallie etc. = elite privates with lots of $ = DII.