McMinn County

CHEESEFRIES

Folks, I am not very familiar with this program-----but this program has dropped off the face of Earth. 10 points tonight, last 4 games reported on here are below 20 points for the games.

I am not blaming their coach, I know he is new. But the AD has been there and made bad decision after bad decision in guiding that department. He has passed over prospective good coaches time and time again.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought that I would be defending the program at McMinn Co. But the problems that are at McMinn right now are the results of last years coach. And I use that title loosely. The players that chose to attend others schools did so that they would not have to play for him. He lost the respect of parents and players alike. There are also some good players at McMinn that have decided to persue other activities rather then play for him. The girls that are playing for McMinn right now deserve your support. They are fighting through some things that are not their fault. Neither is it the new coach's fault. The AD might be to blame some, but last year's coach did things that were not in accord with the AD's wishes, or even the school board's. This year's team is made up of girls that I feel have been neglected in the past, and are just now starting, IN THEIR JUNIOR YEAR, to get the level of coaching that they should have been getting in the past. It takes a long time to build a program...but only one coach to tear one apart. I'm not saying that the present coach is good, or bad for that matter, but it will take at least a couple more years to get players and a system in place. Central and McMinn play Tuesday, and usually I would be all excited about Central girls beating McMinn, but not like this. I hope that McMinn gets back to playing good ball so that when we beat them, Central can be proud of the win.

I never thought that I would be defending the program at McMinn Co. But the problems that are at McMinn right now are the results of last years coach. And I use that title loosely. The players that chose to attend others schools did so that they would not have to play for him. He lost the respect of parents and players alike. There are also some good players at McMinn that have decided to persue other activities rather then play for him. The girls that are playing for McMinn right now deserve your support. They are fighting through some things that are not their fault. Neither is it the new coach's fault. The AD might be to blame some, but last year's coach did things that were not in accord with the AD's wishes, or even the school board's. This year's team is made up of girls that I feel have been neglected in the past, and are just now starting, IN THEIR JUNIOR YEAR, to get the level of coaching that they should have been getting in the past. It takes a long time to build a program...but only one coach to tear one apart. I'm not saying that the present coach is good, or bad for that matter, but it will take at least a couple more years to get players and a system in place. Central and McMinn play Tuesday, and usually I would be all excited about Central girls beating McMinn, but not like this. I hope that McMinn gets back to playing good ball so that when we beat them, Central can be proud of the win.

I hope I didn't imply that I blame the players. I do blame the AD. And yes last year's coach was more worried about other teams than his own.

Hey Yhug, what did last years coach do to make the program this bad? Enlighten us if you would please?

Hey Yhug, what did last years coach do to make the program this bad? Enlighten us if you would please?

It's hard to reply without feeling like I'm kicking a team that is down. It's not that I'm afraid of speaking my mind, because when the old coach was still there, I often spoke my mind about what was going on. But now, it just seems wrong to do so. All that I will say is that there have been several players and their parents that have decided that they would rather play at other schools or some chose to not play. Each of these families made as informed decisions as they could, based on what they saw happening, most of them closer to the program then I. Instead of saying what I think was wrong, how bout I just say what I think needs to change. First, McMinn needs to regain the confidence of the players and parents so that tallent will stop bleeding off to other schools. McMinn is not like several of the other AAA schools. There isn't a "Cleveland Middle" or "Ocoee Middle" type school that has an established basketball program feeding into McMinn. Athens Jr, Riceville, Calhoun, Niota, E.K. Baker, and Rogers Creek are not sending the level of players on the team level as schools like Cleveland, Bradley, or Walker Valley is getting. So to be competitive, they are going to have to keep the quality players that are playing in the schools that are their feeder schools. Next, they are going to have start developing the players that do come to McMinn. Often there is a player or two that may not have received lots of playing time in elementary, but really start to shine when they reach high school. Next, they are going to have to establish some pride in being a Lady Cherokee. Not only pride in the current players, but a desire in the elementary players to become one. Lastly, I think that the county needs to consider joining the 21st century and establish a middle school system. We are the only county of all those surrounding us that still has an elementary system. Meigs, Bradley, Polk, and Monroe has a middle school that feeds into their high schools. This means that instead of there being 6 smaller schools playing as weaker teams, there would be at least 2 middle high type schools feeding into McMinn so the girls would already be playing together.

I'll say it again, Tuesday night I'll be wearing blue, cheering on the Chargerettes, but when Central has won, it will be a hollow victory. I hope that the new coach will be able to fix the problems and in a year or two have a team that we'll be proud to get a victory from. And I hope that the Cherokee fans will support the ladies that are wearing the black and gold, regardless of who is or isn't the coach.

And you said you weren't very familiar with the program !!!!!!!!!!

I am not an 'insider'. Right now I could not tell you the current coach's name or ANY players. I knew of Coach Quirk and Haney.

Quirk seems to be a decent guy, but was more concerned with why Central was getting players from schools on the Athens side of the county.

Haney (and the administration) leaves a lot to be desired as far as 'hiring' goes. Maybe the current coach will bail them out for some dumb moves in the past and turn the program around.

As far as "AA rules" goes, what step are you on in the 12-step program?

I will try to answer this question. As a person and classroom teacher, the former coach did a pretty good job I am told. But, when the Coaching Clothes were put on, he was a desaster. In my opinion based on watching his teams at both Central (boys) and McMinn (girls), he was a very poor floor coach during games and from what I have been told by both players and parents, he would explode on the kids and openly blame them for losses. He also didn't have much contact with what feeder programs theat he had nor set up any camps for the kids that were coming up. Thug, does that about sum up what you know?

It's hard to reply without feeling like I'm kicking a team that is down. It's not that I'm afraid of speaking my mind, because when the old coach was still there, I often spoke my mind about what was going on. But now, it just seems wrong to do so. All that I will say is that there have been several players and their parents that have decided that they would rather play at other schools or some chose to not play. Each of these families made as informed decisions as they could, based on what they saw happening, most of them closer to the program then I. Instead of saying what I think was wrong, how bout I just say what I think needs to change. First, McMinn needs to regain the confidence of the players and parents so that tallent will stop bleeding off to other schools. McMinn is not like several of the other AAA schools. There isn't a "Cleveland Middle" or "Ocoee Middle" type school that has an established basketball program feeding into McMinn. Athens Jr, Riceville, Calhoun, Niota, E.K. Baker, and Rogers Creek are not sending the level of players on the team level as schools like Cleveland, Bradley, or Walker Valley is getting. So to be competitive, they are going to have to keep the quality players that are playing in the schools that are their feeder schools. Next, they are going to have start developing the players that do come to McMinn. Often there is a player or two that may not have received lots of playing time in elementary, but really start to shine when they reach high school. Next, they are going to have to establish some pride in being a Lady Cherokee. Not only pride in the current players, but a desire in the elementary players to become one. Lastly, I think that the county needs to consider joining the 21st century and establish a middle school system. We are the only county of all those surrounding us that still has an elementary system. Meigs, Bradley, Polk, and Monroe has a middle school that feeds into their high schools. This means that instead of there being 6 smaller schools playing as weaker teams, there would be at least 2 middle high type schools feeding into McMinn so the girls would already be playing together.

I'll say it again, Tuesday night I'll be wearing blue, cheering on the Chargerettes, but when Central has won, it will be a hollow victory. I hope that the new coach will be able to fix the problems and in a year or two have a team that we'll be proud to get a victory from. And I hope that the Cherokee fans will support the ladies that are wearing the black and gold, regardless of who is or isn't the coach.

Thanks Thug. I know what you are trying to say without saying it because I pretty much knew the answer to my question when I asked it. I just wanted to hear another opinion from someone else. Did you think you would ever see the day when Central fans were concearned about McMinn not doing well in a sport? Whats the world come to? HAHA!!!!!!