Tryouts

Heelsfan247

What does your team(or any other team you know of) do for tryouts? I know at CAK they have 3 days of tryouts which consist of drills, scrimmages, and fitness tests. Players are to run a 12 min 2 mile followed by a 6 min 1 mile and then see how many pushups and situps they can do in 1 minute. So, if anything, what do others schools do for tryouts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We condition hard for about a month and a half, then we do drills and scrimmages, pretty normal. Having a conditioning month ahead of tryouts is great because all of the uncommitted or unfit players generally leave. We don't really cut anybody, but starting positions are up for grabs, so everybody works hard.

I have heard Bearden's try outs (or at least pre season running) is pretty hard core. Anyone know? Dins, aren't you connected with them?

I'm not connected with Bearden, but I would expect nothing less from Turner. His kids are always well-conditioned, and he has always, to my understanding, given "tough love" to his players in the off-season. Who can deny that his grueling off-season pays off in May though?

• 2 weeks later...

We don't even have tryouts.

This year we started conditioning the first couple of days after second semester began. (Last year we started around November.) We just run from then to the first official practice, and whoever shows up on practice day, is on the team. We usually get up to running acouple of miles straight, but don't usually have any requirements.

It kinda stinks because you can miss all of conditioning and still be on the team, but that's just how it works.

We don't even have tryouts.

This year we started conditioning the first couple of days after second semester began. (Last year we started around November.) We just run from then to the first official practice, and whoever shows up on practice day, is on the team. We usually get up to running acouple of miles straight, but don't usually have any requirements.

It kinda stinks because you can miss all of conditioning and still be on the team, but that's just how it works.

Off season conditioning cannot be required (TSSAA rule). It is frustrating (even from a coaching standpoint).

What school do you play for, Cheamilion?

What does your team(or any other team you know of) do for tryouts? I know at CAK they have 3 days of tryouts which consist of drills, scrimmages, and fitness tests. Players are to run a 12 min 2 mile followed by a 6 min 1 mile and then see how many pushups and situps they can do in 1 minute. So, if anything, what do others schools do for tryouts?

wow are you kidding? are you sure those aren't the times for the cross country team? i could not make that team, seems a little harsh if you ask me big G, but who is to question your so far flawless tactics

wow are you kidding? are you sure those aren't the times for the cross country team? i could not make that team, seems a little harsh if you ask me big G, but who is to question your so far flawless tactics

They are FAR from flawless. Losing 6 very talented senior last year, I wanted these boys to be in the best shape, so that I wouldn't have to waste my practice time getting them where they needed to be. They have known about my expectations for months now, and have had adequate time to train. My goal is for those times. Will they all get there? I hope so, but I am realistic. It seems harsh to many, but I feel that if you don't raise the bar to what you expect players get complacent and stagnant. I want to show them what they are truly capable of.

I would have to say that those time are right about what starters should be running at..Most players I know could make the 12 minute two mile easily, but what id like to know is how long is the break before the mile?

15 minutes from the time the last person finishes the 2 mile (so the sooner you finish, the longer the break you have).

I want my starters to be capable of playing a full 80 minutes without need for a sub.