Tryouts

Heelsfan247

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off season conditioning cannot be required (TSSAA rule). It is frustrating (even from a coaching standpoint).

What school do you play for, Cheamilion?

Yea, I know it can't be required, I just like griping... But yea, it's very annoying.

And I play for Sequoyah. Monroe county, in between Chat and Knox.

You wouldn't pass my strict hair policy.

BURRRNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Sorry... I had to.

You wouldn't pass my strict hair policy.

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

15 minutes from the time the last person finishes the 2 mile (so the sooner you finish, the longer the break you have).

I want my starters to be capable of playing a full 80 minutes without need for a sub.

So BigG, what happens if somebody doesnt make that time? Are they cut or is it more of a guideline?

What does your team(or any other team you know of) do for tryouts? I know at CAK they have 3 days of tryouts which consist of drills, scrimmages, and fitness tests. Players are to run a 12 min 2 mile followed by a 6 min 1 mile and then see how many pushups and situps they can do in 1 minute. So, if anything, what do others schools do for tryouts?

No way. I am going to call CAK and G out on this. I have tried for YEARS to get my kids to perform the Cooper's test, yet only an esoteric few achieve this milestone. No doubt, every coach sets their standards exceedingly high, yet it is only detrimental and demoralizing to the team when only the top few succeed in surpassing an insurmountable benchmark set by the coach. Not saying that G sets his standards too high, but let's be honest, only outstanding athletes can simultaneously be track stars and talented soccer players. If CAK players indeed make a 12 minute 2 mile followed quickly by a 6 minute mile...then, well, wow...no wonder they have set such a precedent.

G-No offense to you. I don't think you have ever committed to an unattainable goal, nor do I think that your players are suggesting that all members of CAK pass something unfeasible.

Just trying to stir things up...

In good fun,

dins

Dins,

Every year, I have increased (actually decreased as far as time is to be concerned) what is required for the boys. They have known what my goal was since August, when we had our first team meeting. In this time, I believe that a young man can push himself towards that goal and acheive it. Will all of them make it? I would love for that to be the case, but I am a realist, as well. Are they cut if they don't make the time? Shoot... if I were only going by running times, Coniglio would have been on my team for the past 3 years! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> There is a lot more to soccer than running. BUT, running is one of the most OBJECTIVE tools for tryouts. In practice runs, I have already had 3 boys make the times (and that wasn't even pushing themselves to the max). And most everyone has been relatively close. Knowing what I expect, and that I expect something that is difficult (but not impossible) to attain, brings out guys who want excellence and are willing to go the distance to get there.

I had to run this as an 18 year old (actually harder than this for CNC soccer, with an added half and quarter mile) so I know it's possible, and I was by NO means a track or soccer star. Will I get grief for it? Heck, I get grief no matter what I do in try outs, because someone is always going to get their feelings hurt.

Dins, I take no offense. We have had enough conversations for me to know where your heart is!

Whatup, the times have always been my goal, but not my requirement. Do we always reach our goals? I wanted to go undefeated last year. That was my goal as a coach. Did we do it? No. Was I upset. Somewhat, but I also realized that there was a heck of a lot more to last season than just one goal. This running is just the first step the boys get to take in a long road of challenges. They might not make the first one, but there are plenty more steps for them to find success on.

Dins,

Every year, I have increased (actually decreased as far as time is to be concerned) what is required for the boys. They have known what my goal was since August, when we had our first team meeting. In this time, I believe that a young man can push himself towards that goal and acheive it. Will all of them make it? I would love for that to be the case, but I am a realist, as well. Are they cut if they don't make the time? Shoot... if I were only going by running times, Coniglio would have been on my team for the past 3 years! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> There is a lot more to soccer than running. BUT, running is one of the most OBJECTIVE tools for tryouts. In practice runs, I have already had 3 boys make the times (and that wasn't even pushing themselves to the max). And most everyone has been relatively close. Knowing what I expect, and that I expect something that is difficult (but not impossible) to attain, brings out guys who want excellence and are willing to go the distance to get there.

I had to run this as an 18 year old (actually harder than this for CNC soccer, with an added half and quarter mile) so I know it's possible, and I was by NO means a track or soccer star. Will I get grief for it? Heck, I get grief no matter what I do in try outs, because someone is always going to get their feelings hurt.

Dins, I take no offense. We have had enough conversations for me to know where your heart is!

Whatup, the times have always been my goal, but not my requirement. Do we always reach our goals? I wanted to go undefeated last year. That was my goal as a coach. Did we do it? No. Was I upset. Somewhat, but I also realized that there was a heck of a lot more to last season than just one goal. This running is just the first step the boys get to take in a long road of challenges. They might not make the first one, but there are plenty more steps for them to find success on.

I by no means think that your requirements are too difficult for a collegiate athlete. In college, we were required to run a Cooper's test and then run under a five minute mile with very little recovery time. Still, there were players (mainly freshmen) that did not make these times.

I guess I am considering that most HS soccer players are not going to be collegiate athletes.

I totally agree with you that if you give the kids an ample amount of time to work toward a fitness goal that it is achievable.

Ultimately, I am inquisitive as to how many of your kids indeed make these times. Maybe I have given up too quickly. I found that it was destroying team morale when only a handful of kids made a 12 minute two mile, and I didn't want my kids to think that I was setting too high of a goal.

I truly hope that our players view this thread to realize that the best teams and coaches set very lofty goals and expect them to be met.

Still...I would be very interested to know how many made their times. Shoot me an email and let me know.

dins