When a starter is benched

WoodenFan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that choices are made and there are repercussions. Not starting is not the end of the world and is a mild 'punishment' if you will. I see it more as a reward to those that make every practice and work their tail end off to make their team better. I never said that a kid that works a day or two a week to help out their family shouldn't play. I just don't think there's a thing wrong with not starting her if she missed any practice time and rewarding the girls that show up every day for practice to get better. Those girls are sacrificing jobs and other activities as well to play basketball.

If a coach is consistent in handling ALL of the players and the TEAM is the primary concern, then the members of the team will respect the rules and know the consequences of their actions. If that's not starting, I don't see that as a big deal. Starting lineups should change as the needs of the team dictates.

From a coaching perspective this is such an easy question. YOUR CHILD CAN START ON ANY TEAM YOU COACH. Those who practice play.

I don't agree with this either. If I'm coach and my kid doesn't make a practice in the days leading up to a game, my kid's not starting either. Being the parent of a player has nothing whatsoever to do with it. All the players on the team are treated the same. The rules that apply to those that aren't my child or my star player will apply to all or you don't really have a team.

agreed kg. the state was in general for unhappy parents. I have not started my own child because she was not the best at that time...

You hit the nail on head. The best player will start and that is determined largely by how much effort and improvement is shown through practice.

Even then, as some have already stated, I'm not sure why "starting" is such a dramatic issue anyway.

You hit the nail on head. The best player will start and that is determined largely by how much effort and improvement is shown through practice.

Even then, as some have already stated, I'm not sure why "starting" is such a dramatic issue anyway.

Exactly. Would you rather your kid start and play until the first dead ball or not start and play the majority of the game? The 5 that are on the floor with the game on the line should mean much more than who's on the floor at tip off. I know of a 6th man who never started a game in high school that got a college scholarship. Starting should be a reward for preparing the best during the week at practice. That's about all it's worth. There might be a coach that uses starting as a senior only option, a birth right if you will, but if he's pulling some of them at the first dead ball, what's it worth? On the other hand, starting could be a way to reward hard work for some of the players during practice.

If this girl left her team to go to another event it would tell me what her priorities are. If the team played better with her gone, I would keep the same lineup. She is not being punished . The coach has to have the respect of the players and he has to do what he feels is right. The coach at VB does a good job so leave him alone. I'm sure it is a very few who are complaining. Go Eagles!

I agree the 5 that puts out the most in practice should start. The problem is now days that the kid and their parents get mad and then the coach will back down because they do not want to make waves. If your best offensive player does not practice well they should not start peirod. This is why the kids now days act the way they do because they no mommy and daddy will back them no matter what they do and a coach making an extr $1500 not going to make a stand.

Let me clear the story up before outsiders get on here and start posting without knowing the whole situation. A player missed to go to a pageant last Friday night. I'm not saying its wrong one way or the other - thats all about priorities to the family. Anyways, while the player was gone our team played extremely well and won a big district game (actually won by a larger amount than when said player was there the first time). Needless to say other players stepped up and earned positions. The coach started his same five from friday night and said girl who had been gone played just as many minutes as in previous games - she just didn't start. Along the way our girls won another district game tonight by 30 to a team we lost to previously when said player was in the starting line up. Sounds like the me the line up should stay the same.

Wooden Fan your constant complaining is getting old and quite frankly hurting our girls basketball team. Either come & support or stay home, but stop being part of the problem. I'm sure John Wooden would not approve of your actions and would probably ask you to stop using his name until you could match his integrity.

Coaches & players - keep it up. You're doing great!

Here is a new concept, Seventieseagle...Act like a brave adult, not a cowardly infant. Use your real name like me. Confront me at one of the games instead of trashing my daughter under a fictitious name. I find it extremely sad that you are trashing a 17 year old girl who represented her county (which was school-excused, by the way, because it is school-related) and can't even speak without using a fake name to hide behind. I see you at every game. You know where I live. My number is in the book. Talk to me about my daughter. I know you won't though, because I know who you are, and I know way more than I want to about you. If you are going to talk about my daughter, tell the whole story. Tell people that she represented her county because it was her obligation. Tell people the truth...that our school has a junior fair board, and 4H Congress, and all of these activities are school-related. Every activity involving these associations have always been school-excused in the office, and you can verify that with the coach, who is the assistant principal.

Since it was school-excused, it should have been basketball-excused. It broke her heart to miss Homecoming, but she did what she had to in order to accept COUNTY AWARDS by the Commissioner of Agriculture in Nashville, and represent our county. Our county would have looked pretty stupid if there had been no representative there to do so. An Overton County basketball starter had to miss her game that night also. The only difference was that she was not punished when she got back. The coach congratulated her for doing the right thing, and she started her game when she returned. Don't bash my kid, tell lies and half-truths in order to mislead people, and get them to say negative things about her. She has been the leading scorer in so many games that I have lost track. Just like she was during Friday night's game. Bless your heart. Jealousy makes people do desperate things, apparently. Go ahead, Seventieseagle. Tell the world who is so malicious, who tells lies, and who picks on young children under the guise of a fake name. I'll be waiting.

Still............don't start her and bring her in at the first dead ball. What's the big deal?

I wouldn't start Chamique Holdsclaw if she missed a team practice FOR ANY REASON while the rest of her teammates attended every one. Same for a game. Miss a game FOR ANY REASON and don't start the next one. Life is full of choices. Sometimes there's no wrong answer, but there should still be consequences. Why does the county schedule such events when there are scheduled games if there could be a conflict? What's wrong with Saturday night since Friday nights have been basketball nights for as long as I can remember? How come the basketball team has to suffer because it's a county event?

Team rules don't have to be so gray. Here's the team rules. Here's the consequences. Be consistent and treat the lowliest freshman exactly the same as the star senior and the parents don't have a leg to stand on when they complain. It's all about being consistent.

Still............don't start her and bring her in at the first dead ball. What's the big deal?

I wouldn't start Chamique Holdsclaw if she missed a team practice FOR ANY REASON while the rest of her teammates attended every one. Same for a game. Miss a game FOR ANY REASON and don't start the next one. Life is full of choices. Sometimes there's no wrong answer, but there should still be consequences. Why does the county schedule such events when there are scheduled games if there could be a conflict? What's wrong with Saturday night since Friday nights have been basketball nights for as long as I can remember? How come the basketball team has to suffer because it's a county event?

Team rules don't have to be so gray. Here's the team rules. Here's the consequences. Be consistent and treat the lowliest freshman exactly the same as the star senior and the parents don't have a leg to stand on when they complain. It's all about being consistent.

Couldn't help but notice you didn't use your real name either there, Mr. KSGOVOLS. But that's o.k. I'll stand up to my daughter against cowards all day and all night long. This was a STATE event, o.k? You didn't know that it wasn't just a COUNTY event before, so I will let you slide on that one. But now that you know, I would hope that you understand that she had a state and a county obligation to fulfill. I would also like to tell you that she has been playing basketball since the 4th grade, and has missed 4 practices in EIGHT YEARS. She has played sick, she has played with deaths in our family, and she has played her heart out. That is dedication, KSGOVOLS.

You also talk about consistency. I will give you a break on that one, too, since you apparently don't know that other girls got to start even though they had missed prior practices due to sickness. You said yourself that your opinion is that there is NO GOOD REASON to miss, and that consistency is the key. NOW what do you have to say? I personally am GLAD that the girls got to start, and that they won. My kid was thrilled, and only hated that she had to miss the game. Who wants to miss their HOMECOMING game on purpose? I always hate it when people comment when they haven't gotten all the facts. Get your facts straight, do some research, THEN post your comments.

Oh, and by the way...I could CARE LESS if CHAMIQUE HOLDSCLAW starts or not. I'm not HER mother. Further, I don't care what YOU would do, OR WHO you would start or not start.

But thanks for the comments. Keep trying, though. I'm sure you have posted some comments in the PAST that have been accurate, and maybe you will post some in the FUTURE, but you missed the mark TODAY, pal.

You obviously don't know my kid, or her team. She has a great team with great friends. She wasn't even upset that she didn't get to start. She was put in after about 3 minutes into the game. She will be fine. I will be fine. I can sleep at night knowing she did the right thing. Others can't say the same, however.