Will the SP Pirates become more of a BB contender with their gym is co

OLD PIRATE

Look, here's the deal....All I hear is "Wait till we get a gym." I know all the problems they have with practicing and playing away and all, but let me tell you this...What do they say next year if the same crap happens?? Excuses will be gone. So, then what? Wait till we get those new basketballs?? I've seen the Pirates this year. The problems aside from the gym are much deeper than the gym itself. You've got a bunch of me's who don't listen to their coach (and guess what guys...he does actually know what he's talking about) and only want to get their names in the paper. Your names are in the paper alright....losing to David Brainerd! Way to go!

Whoa there! DB is not all that bad of a team... they have won 12 so far, and will probably win 16 games this season. Not too shabby, especially since this is the first year in the district. I was impressed with the coaches at SP. They seemed to handle the "sucker punch" after the game was over with class. However, I do not understand why they play a zone? With that much speed and athletism, seems they should play more get in your face defense. However, the bench was not extremely deep either. Seemed to me the players were living off the laurals of a state championship football season. DB players said they did not seem like they were trying very hard.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well you didn't beat Grace last time and you won't beat Temple this time.

There s not any use arguing with Pdiddy /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> He knows everything except sports. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Old Pirate says the jasper folks are not supposed to know........... this type of "TOP SECRET" info.

Their has obviously been a security breach. ALERT Zone Pirate. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

South Pittsburg couldnt even beat Marion County and there a Baseball school and dont Marion have a couple of kids on their basketball team that used to be at South Pittsburg not saying it would help them any

South Pittsburg couldnt even beat Marion County and there a Baseball school and dont Marion have a couple of kids on their basketball team that used to be at South Pittsburg not saying it would help them any

Old Pirate says fact is...................... the SP kids will soon be wearing rings showing them to be "Real Champions" and NOT dreamers only................. Sound familar????????????? get used to it............. Yes, it has been well documented that jasper has kids from SP & Grundy playing for them. The fence jumpers will forever...... be wanta bees.......................... Chances to be real champions seldom come around. You have to be a dad of a jasper player since the kids are in school.

You have to be a Bama Fan. The Ear Eagles own the Tide.

Old Pirate says fact is...................... the SP kids will soon be wearing rings showing them to be "Real Champions" and NOT dreamers only................. Sound familar????????????? get used to it............. Yes, it has been well documented that jasper has kids from SP & Grundy playing for them. The fence jumpers will forever...... be wanta bees.......................... Chances to be real champions seldom come around. You have to be a dad of a jasper player since the kids are in school.

You have to be a Bama Fan. The Ear Eagles own the Tide.

LOL!!!!!! You know, I've read this junk about fence jumpers or whatever you want to call them forever. Lets call it like the truth that it is..1 NO ONE wants there kids to go to SP with all the trouble they have had at their school in the past. so I quess the parents of these "Fence Jumpers" are smarter than you give them credit for. If you dont believe me just ask one of them, you know who they are..2Grundy County is the poorest school system in the state. Can you blame a parent from there to let there kids go to school in a better enviroment and education? It is what it is!

Getting a new Gym is not the answer, building a program is. Until SP gets a group of players that want to play bball they are never going to get out of the district. Until they get a group of players that don't want to trash talk about being state champions in football on the bball court they are never going to get out of the district. The state championship was last year! The true die hard sp fans know its true...

Whoa there! DB is not all that bad of a team... they have won 12 so far, and will probably win 16 games this season. Not too shabby, especially since this is the first year in the district. I was impressed with the coaches at SP. They seemed to handle the "sucker punch" after the game was over with class. However, I do not understand why they play a zone? With that much speed and athletism, seems they should play more get in your face defense. However, the bench was not extremely deep either. Seemed to me the players were living off the laurals of a state championship football season. DB players said they did not seem like they were trying very hard.

Ok, ok, my bad. i didn't mean that as a shot against DB as much as against the SP players (i mean it definitely was a shot at DB, just not as much as you took it). So, i apologize. could anybody fill us in about this "sucker punch" incident?? with police and handcuffs?? i don't know anything about this. i was workin' and didn't get to go to the game.

also, i'm with ya on the zone. i don't get it either. of course, if you've got a bunch of players who don't care, even if they're athletic, i guess an agressive m-t-m would make them look even more foolish. maybe the zone is just to sit back and take it like kindasorta men.

Getting a new Gym is not the answer, building a program is. Until SP gets a group of players that want to play bball they are never going to get out of the district. Until they get a group of players that don't want to trash talk about being state champions in football on the bball court they are never going to get out of the district. The state championship was last year! The true die hard sp fans know its true...

You are exactly right about this! The other crap, and that's what it is...crap /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> , you said about South Pittsburg and Grundy in that post sounds a little like envy. we all know how jasper high is the center of the acedemic universe!

p.s. - i intentionally misspelled academic to see if you'd catch it. hmmmmmmm. i wonder if you did.... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

You are exactly right about this! The other crap, and that's what it is...crap /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> , you said about South Pittsburg and Grundy in that post sounds a little like envy. we all know how jasper high is the center of the acedemic universe!

p.s. - i intentionally misspelled academic to see if you'd catch it. hmmmmmmm. i wonder if you did.... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

You also forgot to capitalize "W" in we; if that was another test I passed.

I don't have a dog in the hunt regarding the basketball team's success or lack thereof, but I can't help but believe the completion of that new Gym will definitely help things. It has to hurt moral to play and practice without a home for two years. Thats just an opinion and I won't argue the point. Good luck to SP players and fans with the BB program.

I think the gymn has a potential to make a difference. I know it would have mattered from '79-88.

The "team" has to play as a team to run anything besides a base zone. In fact, to run a 1-3-1 buzz requires "team" effort. Plus, to play full court man and 1-2-1-1 presses etc. requires conditioning and depth helps. There was time when the 2 weeks before the season started, the team ran over to Raulston Town Mtn, up the Mtn, down the Mtn, back to the gymn, then had practice the 1st week. The second week they ran 5 miles before practice.

Regardless, the kids need to understand that they may as well play as a team because they are going to loose as a team.

Its a waist of athleticism because with conditioning and attitude I guarantee they could run the 1-2-1-1 on anybody and that would make a huge difference. However, they have to be coachable.

Ok, ok, my bad. i didn't mean that as a shot against DB as much as against the SP players (i mean it definitely was a shot at DB, just not as much as you took it). So, i apologize. could anybody fill us in about this "sucker punch" incident?? with police and handcuffs?? i don't know anything about this. i was workin' and didn't get to go to the game.

also, i'm with ya on the zone. i don't get it either. of course, if you've got a bunch of players who don't care, even if they're athletic, i guess an agressive m-t-m would make them look even more foolish. maybe the zone is just to sit back and take it like kindasorta men.

Understand... nobody gives DB much respect at anything so far, but things will change eventually. Even though a 14 point loss to Temple is nothing to brag about, with more free throws made and several missed layups, the game would have been much closer, and DB could have pulled the upset, believe it or not.

SP playing a zone is just admitting they are lazy (sorry, just my opinion). What I have to wonder is how they only lost to Silverdale by 2 points, and Silverdale owned DB twice this season with big wins.

Ok, ok, my bad. i didn't mean that as a shot against DB as much as against the SP players (i mean it definitely was a shot at DB, just not as much as you took it). So, i apologize. could anybody fill us in about this "sucker punch" incident?? with police and handcuffs?? i don't know anything about this. i was workin' and didn't get to go to the game. ANGRYPIRATE

I was at the game and saw the entire event unfold. One of the DBCS players had a breakout night and totally shut down #30. The player (#30) was asked by the referee to go sit down (end of 3rd quarter) for running his mouth. After the game, when the players were shaking hands, #30 took a shot with his right and and caught the "breakout player's" jaw. (I spoke with the player and he said it didn't hurt...but this of course does not excuse the action) Then, just as soon as the punch was landed, the player took off. Maybe not a run, but he got out of there. The SP coaches handed it well, but this truly epitomizes the attitude that many of the players on SP had the entire game. After the punch, #30 was cuffed by a police officer and had a good talking to. I don't know what else will come of this.

To add to the arrogance and lack of team unity of SP team, the players obviously came into the game believeing DB was a "cupcake" team, and with about 2 minutes left in the game, they began to realize that they were on the verge of losing the game. It was at this point that they stopped talking to the girls in the stands (even after the coaches had told them not to talk to the girls) and actually focused on the game. But by then it was too late.

I beleive SP has the ability to easily be one of the best teams in the region but they need to stop being individuals and play as a team. I beleive the coach is partly to blame for this, but as I have seen earlier in this board, the SP players seem uncoachable.

Peace