Riverdale "RUMOR"

Lost Old Dad

There is a 'rumor' going around this side of town that Coach A is going to limit the team to 60 players this year. I really hope that this is NOT true as a large part of R'dales success has been its depth and the bodies needed for scout teams and the like.

I normally would not post a 'rumor' like this but it upset me so I had to do it to see if it is true.

If it is then we may have seen the total demise of a proud R'dale tradition of having one of the biggest teams in the state.

Something about seeing half of the field covered in scarlet and gold during warm ups that added to the intimidation factor.

If it is true hopefully it can be stopped NOW!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a 'rumor' going around this side of town that Coach A is going to limit the team to 60 players this year. I really hope that this is NOT true as a large part of R'dales success has been its depth and the bodies needed for scout teams and the like.

I normally would not post a 'rumor' like this but it upset me so I had to do it to see if it is true.

If it is then we may have seen the total demise of a proud R'dale tradition of having one of the biggest teams in the state.

Something about seeing half of the field covered in scarlet and gold during warm ups that added to the intimidation factor.

If it is true hopefully it can be stopped NOW!

it this is true...it's really not all bad...there "could" be a number of positives

yes...there are some things you will lose...but also things you will gain

but whether riverdale has 200 players on the field...or 60...it will not intimidate anyone in at least the next few years to come...what intimidated folks was how riverdale played...and how good their players were...

I have heard he wants about 65 players and if u read the off season threadi have posted my opposistion to this it does cause intimidation when we have a 100 players and it is a big key to us building depth however the new staff doesnt use it because we dont build leads like we used to i think this is a poor decision if it is done and i totally disagree with it

it will give many student athletes a bad taste in their mouth...so many kids develop and rise to their potential late. good example, i dont think anyone would have thought freshman or sophmore year that Joseph Grimes would be a scholarship player, now he is committed to play a TTU. just one of the success stories of kids developing through the Riverdale program.

it will give many student athletes a bad taste in their mouth...so many kids develop and rise to their potential late. good example, i dont think anyone would have thought freshman or sophmore year that Joseph Grimes would be a scholarship player, now he is committed to play a TTU. just one of the success stories of kids developing through the Riverdale program.

There were LOTS of scholarship players this year that were fourth string and lower in their early years!

This development of players was the key to R'dale's success. These same players learned and were the ones that learned both their positions and what the other schools were gonna do by being the scout teams. That is one reason we were so successful.

Success by other teams against R'dale was due in part they FINALLY got their numbers up and could stay with R'dale late in games with fresh players or by resting key players during the game so they could stand with R'dale when most were worn out by the second half.

The 2004 team was a prime example. How many teams in this state could honestly say they were 6 deep just for their offensive line? The 2004 team WAS that deep!

Maybe 60 is how they play in Metro, but R'dale is NOT Metro! It takes time for players to learn the system and R'dale is know for NOT making mistakes. This is because kids did not play until they knew the system down cold. When a player went in you knew they were not going to turn the wrong way during the play because they knew what they were suppose to do. This in turn allowed us to actually score alot!

When we scored 50 or MORE points against schools it was directly because we played alot of folks that knew what they were suppose to do and they did it or they got to go to the sidelines to be replaced by someone who DID know the plays.

Like I stated at first, right now this is only a 'RUMOR' and one that I sincerely hope is NOT true.

Just speaking off of personal experience, using myself as an example...when I played sophmore year, I played center on the scout team. Didn't get playing time on Fridays, but Monday thru Thursday I was going up head to head against some of the best guys in the state. LaDarrius Verge (Mr. Football winner) and Eugene Goree (Mr. Football candidate, University of Colorado). I'm not sure if any school we played (or in the state for that matter) had DT's that good.

Haha I definately wouldn't have been a college prospect, but just saying thats the kind of competition you're up against in PRACTICE. It will turn you into a better player and after you get pushed around a couple of years, eventually it could be you pushing people around (if you stick with it unlike myself).

dont know about riverdale but smyrnas numbers are huge for next year.

I dont know how shad will handle the numbers since smyrna has tiny locker areas and we had aprox 20 kids last year dressing out of clothed baskets.

This is what I heard the numbers look like for next year

freshman that showed up at the various schools that will be attending smyrna in 2008 is over ------------- a hundred!

varsity meeting held last week for returning players and others that want to come out was nearly 150!!!

I think cutting back to 60 or 65 is not a good idea but there is no way smyrna can have any where near the numbers expected.

Not to much detail now and is not relevant to the topic but smyrna has already had 4 or 5 players move in to the smyrna zone and one from outside that is supposed to be a bryson type kid.

Hey LOD at least somebody is spreading rumors, everyone is over the whole thing here! We've even got kids transferring to other schools to get away from the mess we have in the Atomic City. We'll be lucky to have 50 even come out this year. I really believe Oak Ridge's era as a power is gone forever.

Hey LOD at least somebody is spreading rumors, everyone is over the whole thing here! We've even got kids transferring to other schools to get away from the mess we have in the Atomic City. We'll be lucky to have 50 even come out this year. I really believe Oak Ridge's era as a power is gone forever.

That is really sad to hear. I miss the rivalry that was building between R'dale and Oak Ridge.

BTW did they actually give Stevens tenure after all?

dont know about riverdale but smyrnas numbers are huge for next year.

I dont know how shad will handle the numbers since smyrna has tiny locker areas and we had aprox 20 kids last year dressing out of clothed baskets.

This is what I heard the numbers look like for next year

freshman that showed up at the various schools that will be attending smyrna in 2008 is over ------------- a hundred!

varsity meeting held last week for returning players and others that want to come out was nearly 150!!!

I think cutting back to 60 or 65 is not a good idea but there is no way smyrna can have any where near the numbers expected.

Not to much detail now and is not relevant to the topic but smyrna has already had 4 or 5 players move in to the smyrna zone and one from outside that is supposed to be a bryson type kid.

Sweating during spring practice and summer workouts will thin the numbers to a level of kids actually wanting to play and produce.

Getting more Bryson's does not worry me as much as getting another Sonny Grey-Wilkes combination! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I am sure though that y'all will find someone to throw the ball and he will actually get to!

Only advice I can give y'all is ENLARGE the WEIGHT room and get the kids in there EVERYDAY and work hard in there.

Also sounds like it is gonna be another season of LaVergne crying about y'all stealing their best players! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Not taking a shot at y'all as success draws kids to a program like nothing else does. But we will hear crying and griping as that is the nature of Region 4.

I'm unbiased but an avid reader of various posts. What benefit would it be to limit the number of players? Football may be a way of keeping a trouble youth out of trouble, may build self esteem for an awkward student or it may encourage a student that is struggling in the classroom to work harder so he can play. Something to keep in mind, Michael Jordan didn't make his basketball team when he first went out for it. How many possible players have that type of dedication as he did? Very few but football may be a way for alot of students to get college paid for or even partially paid for. With all the funding at Riverdale, I personally don't see any benefit in limiting the number of players. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />