Riverdale "RUMOR"

Lost Old Dad

with the hard work and dedication from the players and parents and people from the community who have invested in this program, why limit the team to anything under 100? we have more than enough equipment to do so, people donated and raised money for it to what, collect dust?

there should be a guy in every jersey except 1, 9, 25, 28, 48, and most recently retired, Verge's 92

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a 'rumor' going around this side of town that Coach A is going to limit the team to 60 players this year. I really hope that this is NOT true as a large part of R'dales success has been its depth and the bodies needed for scout teams and the like.

I normally would not post a 'rumor' like this but it upset me so I had to do it to see if it is true.

Don't see how limiting it to 60 would be a good thing?

Is it just 60 on Varsity level?

With that many they should have a Freshman, JV and Varsity level.

I don't see how they could have Fresh, JV and Varsity teams just limiting it to 60 kids total.

If it is then we may have seen the total demise of a proud R'dale tradition of having one of the biggest teams in the state.

Something about seeing half of the field covered in scarlet and gold during warm ups that added to the intimidation factor.

If it is true hopefully it can be stopped NOW!

The '60' would just be for the Varsity-JV teams as they are one and the same at R'dale. Usually the JV is the third and fourth squads of the 'varsity'. Freshman team is kept completely seperate from the varsity team until their season is done. Then only the ones that are 'invited' stand on the sidelines in uniform with the varsity.

Unlike other schools that dress everyone that can wear a uniform and is male to make their numbers look large, R'dale actually HAS that many JUST for varsity.

Usual level for the 'Varsity' alone is 100+!

LOD does it honestly matter if you have 60 players or a hundred? Eleven play at a time not all hundred bodies can be out there. At Smyrna we were blessed with tremendous depth the past two years but if a team is good they're good whether it's 60 or a hundred jerseys

YES it DOES matter to me! Football is way more than just playing a game. If this was in place when my son was playing there, there would NOT have been players out there like a certain player named Michael that was NOT a gifted athlete that was also not gifted in other ways. This kid worked his tail off and was there EVERY day even though he was mentally challenged. One of the proudest moments I had in four years of watching was the game Michael actually got to play in. Was only for a couple of plays but it made the kids whole year! For this one moment I say do NOT limit the amount to come out as there are kids that football helps in more ways than just playing.

Folks who have followed R'dale football know who the Michael is I am talking about and it is not the 'clone'!

Besides the last time I checked R'dale is still a PUBLIC school that is supported by PUBLIC dollars, so EVERY kid in the system has a RIGHT to come out!

I know micheals mom very well and she was so prouud at how he was able to adapt and she was so hppay with the way Rankin treated him ...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...did not treat him any different but made him like the rest of the team and although when he got his sack and the annoucer went crazy and the fans were hollering little did they know what kind of achievement this kid had made nor how proud his MOM was over this situation and there have been many other kids that would not have played and gotten into trouble because we all know that an idol anount of time amongst teenagers is DANGEROUS so to keep them involved in SOMTHING is big...coach please AXE this idea and tighten up you do not have to be MR nice guy if they act out kick them off i am for that i do believe in second chances however you have ot pay for or work your way back on the team you have to run a tight ship

Ringworm it is funny the question you have asked then in your reasoning you proved our point...you said numbers are not that big of a deal ....BUT then you said our numbers have been up the past 2 years but its not that big of a deal HOWEVER IN THE PAST 2 YEARS YOU WON STATE...thank you for proving our point

The tenure thing raises it's ugly head in april. The school administration is keeping real quite about the whole thing, hoping it will just go away and they can sneak him into the fold. And frankly I am getting so I just don't care anymore. It will be their bed and they can just crawl up into it and live with it.

But I do wish the Warriors the best, put it to that bunch of newcomers from Siegle.

I know that having a ton of players on the field is very intimidating, but gone are the days when RHS had 30 assistant coaches to help keep those 100+ players busy during practices and keep them fundamentally sound. When you have the NORMAL amount of assts like other schools, extra players with no purpose can be a real hindrance and an insurance liability. I am sure that Coach A has carefully evaluated what he needs to do at Riverdale. I am hearing one good thing.....the players won't be forced TO PAY $400.00 TO PLAY like they once were forced to do.

We at Oakland proved twice that you can win state with numbers a whole lot LESS than 100. In fact the 98 state champ team had relatively SMALL numbers in comparison to Riverdale yet we MANAGED.

all the kids have oppurtunities to raise 100% of that money, or atleast the years wyant was in charge of the booster club/tribe

When you go to a public school, you should not have to pay or fundraise 400 bucks to play on a football team. Think of how much money that was over the yrs....when you had over 100 players.......

now whose pockets got filled?

Riverdale usually had huge revenue......deep pocketed boosters..... usually 15 games a yr...... huge gates plus concessions.....what did they need all that money for? Players should have been playing at NO cost. Yes, you have to do a bit of fundraising through the yr, but 400 a pop? No way.....glad Coach A is abolishing this system and hope the Riverdale influx at OHS doesn't establish this greedy practice. Someone should put a stop to it in girls bball at RHS too.....

Bounder is talking about the coach at OR.

just cause something is done differently at OHS, doesnt mean that the way others do it is the "wrong" way...

Riverdale buys new jerseys every year (and change styles pretty often aswell), seniors get to keep their jerseys and they are replaced. riverdale goes places to eat plenty of times over the course of the season. always served a pregame meal atleast in the school cafeteria (but food bought by the team not the county or anything).

the $400 covers the stuff that SHOULDNT be bought by the program, like personal cleats, sweat suits, workout attire, duffle bags, everything of that nature that players get to hold on to. the senior giftbag stuff they give away, all that.

often have some pretty far games, especially in the post season, and usually charter buses if the game is outside of rutherford or wilson counties.

might be wrong on this, but i think $400 was only the year we went to ohio. originally we wanted to play a team from likely texas or california at a neutral site at disney's worldwide sports complex down in florida. an article was even ran about the effort in the DNJ.

when the coaches realized it would have pushed the total amount per player over $700+ that year, they scratched the idea and were able to establish the contact with worthington kilbourne.