Congratulations goes out to......

sdog1

I wanted to take a moment to say congratulations to Columbia Central winning the boys team, to Hendersonville for winning the girls team, and to Michael Poirer for winning the individual title and being named Mr. Bowler of the year. What a season for Columbia! Coach Ransom and your entire coaching staff have my utmost respect for a job well done....it seems that you are truly changing these kids lives. But it doesn't go without saying that the rest of us wish we too were blessed with the facilities that your teams and others have a chance to bowl in. That's not to say that you still don't have to go out and bowl.

As a spectator at this tournament I was truly impresed by the White Station girls team. They seemed to be a very fundamentally sound group and on top of that beat a talented Soddy Daisy team. I am sure that we will see more of them in the future since they boast no seniors or juniors for that matter.

I hate to end on this but I will....I was disturbed by the actions of the Soddy Daisy parents as well as the disrespect of some of the players towards the White Station team. I also was in shock when I witnessed the same thing after the match between Hendersonville and Hixson girls.

I thought this was about what we can do for the kids and helping them succeed not about parents continuing to live vicariously through their children for what they have lacked in their childhood. What has happened to sportsmanship and losing gracefully?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just say congrats to White Station girls on their win. They were consistent and picked up their spares, which Soddy Daisy failed to do. The Soddy Daisy girls and parents did not have a problem with White Station beating them. Of course everyone was disappointed to lose, which as I'm sure any team would be, but the real problem was White Station's coach and his obnoxious attitude and uncalled hateful comments to our girls.

You might just expect catty comments from teenage girls, but you would expect an adult....especially a coach....to be above making snide remarks about another team. So if the Soddy Daisy girls seemed to be showing unsportsman like attitudes, then forgive us......I think a lot of them were upset from the comments the White Station coach made and not White Station girls themselves.

His justification for making the comments was that Soddy Daisy was "supposedly" rude to him during the 2004-05 State Tournament. The only thing I can think of that we did was yell for our girls. Get over it and quit acting like a "middle schooler". Personally I get sick of everyone saying that Soddy Daisy is rude. Soddy Daisy yells and supports the girls....very loudly I might add....but that doesn't make us rude just because we are loud. Our girls like it loud and by gosh if it helps motivate them to do better...than by golly we will. We cheer and encourage our girls and we do not make comments about any of the girls we bowl.

I personally spoke with at least two of the parents from White Station and at least one of the girls congratulating them on their win. It was impressive to see them across the board...(all six of them) either striking or at least picking up their spares.

Maybe sportsmanship should start at the top with the coach.

Personally....I can't respond to what happened between Hendersonville and Hixson...but I know for a fact that you won't find another team that shows better sportsmanship than Hixson.

Let me just say congrats to White Station girls on their win. They were consistent and picked up their spares, which Soddy Daisy failed to do. The Soddy Daisy girls and parents did not have a problem with White Station beating them. Of course everyone was disappointed to lose, which as I'm sure any team would be, but the real problem was White Station's coach and his obnoxious attitude and uncalled hateful comments to our girls.

You might just expect catty comments from teenage girls, but you would expect an adult....especially a coach....to be above making snide remarks about another team. So if the Soddy Daisy girls seemed to be showing unsportsman like attitudes, then forgive us......I think a lot of them were upset from the comments the White Station coach made and not White Station girls themselves.

His justification for making the comments was that Soddy Daisy was "supposedly" rude to him during the 2004-05 State Tournament. The only thing I can think of that we did was yell for our girls. Get over it and quit acting like a "middle schooler". Personally I get sick of everyone saying that Soddy Daisy is rude. Soddy Daisy yells and supports the girls....very loudly I might add....but that doesn't make us rude just because we are loud. Our girls like it loud and by gosh if it helps motivate them to do better...than by golly we will. We cheer and encourage our girls and we do not make comments about any of the girls we bowl.

I personally spoke with at least two of the parents from White Station and at least one of the girls congratulating them on their win. It was impressive to see them across the board...(all six of them) either striking or at least picking up their spares.

Maybe sportsmanship should start at the top with the coach.

Personally....I can't respond to what happened between Hendersonville and Hixson...but I know for a fact that you won't find another team that shows better sportsmanship than Hixson.

Congratulations to the Hixson and Soddy Daisy girls teams for representing the Region 3 and 4 areas well at the state. I thought Hixson would win the title going away. I have experienced losing to these fine young ladies from the two schools as a coach for the past 4 years in either state or sectional matches and have never seen any unsportsmanlike conduct from the coaches, players, or fans. Sure the fans are loud, but that just adds to the excitement of the event.

We have seen a few times that teams have started cheers when our boys were on the approach and the opponents were not, but i don't even think that was intentional. Some of the other coaches and fans thought so, but we have taught our kids to just hear everything as encouragement. If the other team is making the noise, the best way to quiet them down is to throw more strikes than they do.

Every coach should teach sportsmanship and respect but unfortunately, not all do it. Any youngster that bowls for us is taught that before we teach them any technique. Thanks to all parents who support their kids and schools! Our coaching staff is all volunteer and we appreciate the parents efforts to support their children and try to tell them so regularly. See everybody next year!

Mike Ransom

Columbia Central HS

I personally witnessed an adult male fan of Soddy Daisy verbally intimidate two White Station male bowlers during the girls match Friday afternoon. One of the White Station bowlers was my son who was cheering and clapping for his teammates when he accidentally grazed this man's back. The Soddy Daisy parent turned around and started chewing my son out. My son tried to apologize and the man continued to berate him. I moved my son to the side and stood behind this Soddy Daisy parent/fan and within fifteen minutes he started chewing and berating another male White Station bowler for invading his space. That is when I confronted the man and suggested he calm down.

After the boys match, I was told by everyone on the boys and girls bus that this Soddy Daisy man and his wife? was in the parking lot inside their car giving all of the White Station bowlers and the White Station coach obscene gestures with their fingers. I did not personally witness this, but if it were true, I would have to say that this is one of the lowest forms of class.

After all, are not we all here for the kids? It is all about the kids. There is nothing wrong with cheering for your team and children. But, this should be done in the highest class possible. Because after all, our kids often duplicate our actions.

To add to the comments by Luv2Bowl, I also want to congratulate the girls of White Stations for their achievements at the state tournament. They did well and you could see the excitement on their faces when they did well. Even though we were their opponents, I was impressed by both their determination and their enthusiasm and they demonstrated very sportsmanlike behavior, despite the behavior of their coach.

I was very taken aback by his antics as I did not expect such from a coach, someone who is supposed to teach sportsmanlike behavior. He even told one of our girls during the match "Ha. Get ready to pack your bags and go home." His behavior during the match was equally offensive as he appeared more focused on "getting in our face" than encouraging his girls. In 7 years of being involved with high school bowling, there has been only one other adult who I found so offensive. However, despite him, the girls at White Stations were very sincere and behaved much more mature than their coach.

I cannot comment on his performance or coaching skill outside the state tournament as I do not know him. He may be a very nice man and I commend anyone willing to sacrifice their time and effort to work with youth bowling, but his behavior at the state tournament during our match was simply inappropriate for an adult, much less a coach.

I would also like to congratulate Columbia Central and Michael for their outstanding achievements this year. I watched Michael periodically during the tournament and the reception and was extremely impressed by him. He is a fine young man with skill and class. Even when he was not satisfied with a frame, he maintained an exceptional attitude and good spirit. Congrats Michael, you completely deserved the Mr. Bowling title and please disregard the remarks on this website by a small-minded individual whose jealousy prompted him to make horrible comments.

to those at Columbia Central, we thoroughly enjoyed our matches with you. You are a class team with a grade A classy coach. Keep up the good work!

I personally witnessed an adult male fan of Soddy Daisy verbally intimidate two White Station male bowlers during the girls match Friday afternoon. One of the White Station bowlers was my son who was cheering and clapping for his teammates when he accidentally grazed this man's back. The Soddy Daisy parent turned around and started chewing my son out. My son tried to apologize and the man continued to berate him. I moved my son to the side and stood behind this Soddy Daisy parent/fan and within fifteen minutes he started chewing and berating another male White Station bowler for invading his space. That is when I confronted the man and suggested he calm down.

After the boys match, I was told by everyone on the boys and girls bus that this Soddy Daisy man and his wife? was in the parking lot inside their car giving all of the White Station bowlers and the White Station coach obscene gestures with their fingers. I did not personally witness this, but if it were true, I would have to say that this is one of the lowest forms of class.

After all, are not we all here for the kids? It is all about the kids. There is nothing wrong with cheering for your team and children. But, this should be done in the highest class possible. Because after all, our kids often duplicate our actions.

On behalf of all the Soddy Daisy bowlers, parents, fans, and coaches, I sincerely hope no parents or adults representing our team behaved in the above offensive manner, even if they thought they were responding in kind. If this actually did occur, please accept our apology and I hope you do not believe that what may be the gross immature actions of one or two reflect the entire team and fans. You are absolutely right. It IS entirely about the kids and behavior such as described above by either parents or coaches is unacceptable, regardless of the reason!

I was very taken aback by his antics as I did not expect such from a coach, someone who is supposed to teach sportsmanlike behavior. He even told one of our girls during the match "Ha. Get ready to pack your bags and go home." His behavior during the match was equally offensive as he appeared more focused on "getting in our face" than encouraging his girls. In 7 years of being involved with high school bowling, there has been only one other adult who I found so offensive. However, despite him, the girls at White Stations were very sincere and behaved much more mature than their coach.

First of all, I'm afffiliated with the WSHS Bowling Team and I have personally known the coach for several years.

Let me tell you, regardless of what you have heard, getting in another players face is not something he would ever do. Ever. He is the epitome of sportsmanlike behavior and the only thing he ever said to any player was "Nice Match". He would never, ever get in to another players face and make those comments. Nor did he. I was there. He never told one of their bowlers to pack their bags to go home. Ever.

What I did witness was a parent from the Soddy Daisy team, and most likely the one who is starting these rumors, tell him that his girls were good bowlers but that he was a piece of crap. The only thing he said in return was that the fans had been rude to him back in 2005- to which she said "Way to hold a grudge coach" and he said "Have a safe trip home" Period. That was a parent and not a player.

To me, he showed considerable restraint in not popping back with a extremely rude comment but he did not want to stoop down to her level. After that, not only did her husband try to trip him but also called him an obscene name. All to which he never responded. This is the same husband who was rude and confrontational to WSdad's son and the other boy. I was in the van when this man and his wife flipped the bird to both boy and girls teams.

To let you know a little bit about our coach- this is his sixth year coaching, he is a nationally certified coach, and has gone out of his way to change the lives of the kids he works with. He has had four collegiate signees and started a foundation to help underprivledged kids afford bowling equipment and coaching to support the youth in the Memphis area. To begin this endeavor he bowled 24 hours straight to raise money for this foundation and had over 50 businesses locally to donate items for his silent auction to help as well. He has a pro bowler who comes in to town once a year to conduct a camp for his kids. He fundraises enough so that all the kids can afford to attend. This last year he raised enough money to take four of his male bowlers to New York to the National Tournament all expenses paid.

This is not someone who takes sportsmanship lightly. This is someone who reinforces it in his program and in his daily life. I have personally witnessed him purchase equipment and supplies out of his own pocket for not only his bowlers but others as well.

I can promise you that if any of those comments ever came out of his mouth during that match I would have personally called him down regardless. But it never happened. Anything that is being said is a fabrication of someones imagination that is trying to make themselves look better because of their actions. In the meantime they are defaming the character of a fine man.

If the shoe would have been on the other foot and we had lost the match there is absolutely no way any of our parents would have behaved the way that I witnessessed these two act. First of all our coach wouldn't have stood for it. Second of all none of them are sore losers.

You guys can continue to get on here and bash a good man if you want to, but I'm coming in to set the record straight. If our coach would have done the things that he is accused of doing I'd be the first one standing up to say that yes, he did. However I will not sit idly by while someone spreads a bunch of rumors about this man after he's done so much for all of these kids.

As an outside observer to your match with Soddy Daisy, all I can say is that his demeanor is somewhat over the top for a high school bowling coach.

I trust what you say. I do not know the man. He must be a good coach as exhibited by his teams, his involvement, etc.

His demeanor in the Soddy Daisy match was way, way over the top.

Yes, he was WAY over the top. I appreciate any coach's dedication and from the statements above, he should be commended for his dedication to his team and the sport. However, he did make an inflammatory statement to one of our girls which may have been the spark. I was also there. I don't know if the heat of the moment or the building tension caused him to make such a comment but his actions seemed to grow from there.

I also sincerely hope none of our parents would be so juvenile as to pick fights with kids or behave so reprehensibly as to make obscene gestures to any young adult. If so, please be assured that does not represent our team or any of our other parents!

I absolutely hate the drama between any teams in a competitive sport and hope the next time we face, all adults will behave as they should to set an example.

Yes, he was WAY over the top. I appreciate any coach's dedication and from the statements above, he should be commended for his dedication to his team and the sport. However, he did make an inflammatory statement to one of our girls which may have been the spark. I was also there. I don't know if the heat of the moment or the building tension caused him to make such a comment but his actions seemed to grow from there.

I also sincerely hope none of our parents would be so juvenile as to pick fights with kids or behave so reprehensibly as to make obscene gestures to any young adult. If so, please be assured that does not represent our team or any of our other parents!

I absolutely hate the drama between any teams in a competitive sport and hope the next time we face, all adults will behave as they should to set an example.

I hate the drama too Lady R, but it only ends when EVERYONE acts appropriately and when there is an incident...tell the truth and everyone stop trying to drag this guys name through the mud....i saw him and he didn't seem any more over the top then anyone else in the alley....so everyone please take a moment and go spend some time with their own kids and forget about all of this...does all of this really matter in the scheme of things? I mean is this the reason that the lord above put you on this earth, to bad mouth some guy who is passionate about his team? I did not get on here to start all of this i just wanted to have a moment to congratulate the teams and share what I experienced. So could we end this board? Best wishes to everyone next year...I am not sure if I will make the trip cause all of this petty stuff is not my speed. I probably will and just keep my distance.

I usually just read what people write, but this time i felt that i needed to talk. I was also there this weekend and was pretty much in the front two rows every day. First i would like to say that it is sad that this is happening. Maybe we should learn from our children in this case. The girls that participated in the match were very nice to each other and had no problems. It does not set very well that the adults can not. Both girls teams deserve a lot of credit for the way they handled themselves and the way they bowled. So congrats to the young ladies on both sides and I wish them the best. Hopefully bowling can be the door that will open for some of them.

Now for the adults. I think that it is very cruel for people to get on here and attack someone, especially when they do not really know him. I am gonna stick to what i saw and heard and not gonna get caught up in this hearsay crap. First, The coach of White Station is a very good man that dedicates his time to this team. This man really cares for the individuals of his team as well as the school that he represents. He does do the charity events that was stated earlier in another posts and is will to go the extra mile for his kids. Michael Catlin has helped change the future for kids as for as helping them advance into colleges. For people to come out and attack a man that is doing this for kids is beyond me especially when most of us just sit on the couch. Now back to what i was saying about what i saw. In the beginning of the match, both coaches shook hands, sad good luck. So far so good. Was a great match that was tight, throughout. During the match was some cheering from White Station and a lot more from Sody Daisy including chants. There was nothing wrong with that from either side. During the match, there was a confrontation between a Sody Daisy man and a White Station bowler. I heard the man tell the student that he was invading his space. After a bit of that, another man in the crowd that was cheering for White Station came to the boys defense. The two exchanged words. I personally felt that the Sody Daisy man was out of line in this instance. First to go off on a student the way he did was wrong and if he was raised the way i was, he would have bubbles coming out his mouth from the soap that he would have in it. Anyhow, that was the only thing i saw wrong that happened during the match. At the very end of the match, I witnessed one more incident. There was one lady that was pretty upset at a couple of White Station boys. The boys were talking right at the end of the matchabout what was needed for White Station to win. When it came true that that won and Sody was elimated the boys shook each others hands and were very happy. They did say yes we won, but no louder that normal talk. The Sody lady responed with saying that that was not very sportsman like. On this point, I did not think that the boys did anything wrong. I also do not think that she was out of line to say what she did even though i do not agreee with her comments. After the match was over i say the teams shake hands and move apart. I saw a happy team. I saw a sad team. The one thing that i will say is that in both instances did have one thing in common. The man and the lady that i refered to above were together. Not sure how, but both were very bad sports. It is ashame that some bad seeds can put such a shadow on something that was meant to be for the kids.

Please for the sake of the kids, lets put this behind us. I hope that both schools have great years next year and will be back and i wish both teams the best. I hope that the adults will take a look in the mirrow next year before coming and maybe act like the students did that particapated this year. There is nothing wrong with cheering or wanting to win, unfortunatly only one can. Maybe next year these to schools will be blessed enough that we both can get back again. This might be much to ask, but it would be nice for us to be mature and shake each others hands and put all this behind us. After all, the kids are watching and maybe we could redeem ourselves for what has been done and said in all this.

Congrats to Columbia Central Boys team and to coach Ransom. Your community, school, team, and parents should be very proud of the coaching staff, because you all are one of the BEST in the state. It is not by mistake that you are in the state tournament just about every year. I have watched you team win and lose, and your team, parents, and fans do it with class. I enjoy watching our team play yours, because it is a battle every time. But when the match is over, everyone shakes hands congratulates the winner, and respects their players on a hard played match. For Michael, YOU deserve every award that you have received, and you will be a great college bowler.

For White Station and Soddy Daisy Girls team. Congrats for a great year. Coach Catlin is a great person, and is becoming a great coach that has pride and loves both of his teams dearly. The Soddy Daisy coaches have been on top of this sport since the first year. Their coaches have always been respectful to the other teams, coaches, and fans. I did witness the incident Saturday morning after the match. Catlin proceeded to shake Soddy's hands and the attack started. The attack came from parents and players. When Catlin went to turn in the winning score sheet, a Soddy parent tried to trip him. I also witnessed the Soddy's fans giving Catlin and his team the middle finger as they were leaving. I had heard that there was a vehicle in the parking lot that had been keyed. The first thing that I thought was it was Catlin's vehicle. I was wrong; it was a Soddy parent's vehicle. A police report was filed and accusing Catlin of the wrong doing. I was with Catlin since Friday because we have become friends with White Station's team. Before this year, I had heard bad things about Catlin from another high school coach in the Memphis area, and I did not either want to have anything to do with him. At the match in Hardin County, Catlin broke the ice, went out of his way to speak and we became friends that day. I will admit that I was wrong on prejudging a person that I did not know. I have spoke to Catlin about this and apologized to him. Back to the Soddy parent that had their car keyed. I followed Catlin out of the parking lot every time he left, either to go eat or show him some of middle Tennessee. He did not key your car. The rumors that our team heard was it were a Hixson??™s fan that keyed your car. We all know the bad blood between your 2 schools. I had also heard that it could have been 2 White Station boys that were treated badly by the person that got their car keyed. What I do know is that the bowling center has great cameras in the parking lot and that the police are perusing this matter and whoever keyed the Soddy parent's vehicle should be prosecuted in the court of law. For the Soddy's coaches, you are responsible for your team, your parents and your fans. I fill that you should have stepped in and took control of your unruly parents and fans.

Congrats goes out to Hixson??™s team and coaches. Their coaches are top notch and have built a great program for years to come. I also witnessed the incident between Hendersonville and Hixson. In the last 2 state tournaments, in the match between Hendersonville and Hixson, Hendersonville's coach shook the Hixson??™s coaches, teams and told their parents and fans that they have a great team and good luck through the tournament, before the last ball was thrown. This year, when the match was put away, Hendersonville's coach turned to his parents and fans raised his arms in victory. A Hixson parent or fan started screaming at the coach and continued until he walked away to turn in the winning score sheet. As Hendersonville's was leaving the lanes, he continued congratulating Hixson??™s parents and fans for a great team and being a great champion respectively. A few minutes later, there was a loud noise hitting the wall on the outside of the meeting room. TSSAA official stated that don't sound good and walked out to see what was going on. A few minutes later, 1 of Hendersonville's assistance coaches walked in and stated someone better stop Hixson??™s team and parents from call our head coach a "A-- Whole". I witnessed Hendersonville's coach come out of the meeting room and order his team, parents, and fans down to the other end of the bowling center until the Hixson??™s team was packed and leaving the area. That stopped the incident from getting out of hand. Soddy and Hixson, you should learn from Hendersonville's coach and take charge of your team, parents and fans.

To Hardin County, your team, coaches, parents and fans are the class of the state. You congratulated Hendersonville's team, your bowlers shook their hands and your parents and fans also congratulated Hendersonville's team in a very respectful way. Your coaches are like no other in the state or country in my book. To Ms Bowler (Megan Alcott) you carried yourself very well this week and as an Ms Bowler should. I will miss not seeing you next year on your high school's team, but fill blessed of watch you for the past 3 years. Good luck with your future, and I know that you will succeed.

For Mr. Kelly,

Thank you for your dedication to our sport. Your hard work will keep our sport growing in the future.

For TSSAA,

You should investigate the incidents, and treat this sport like others. You would not tolerate this type of action from parents and fans of any other sport and should not be tolerated in this sport. You are fortunate that the incidents did not get any worse.

I will close with this, I have reported the facts, and everyone from Soddy Daisy's and Hixson??™s team, parents and fans was not involve in this incident, just a very few of them. These 2 teams should not forget how they acted, but make effort that this behavior won't happen again. By forgetting, will only allow it to happen again. Good luck in the future to both Soddy's and Hixson??™s team and only better behavior from your team, parents and fans can turn this negative press around.