9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

I will say that I don't think we have experienced any problems at any of the CPA games that I've been at. Which if I recall correctly is ALL of them!

I have however seen issues at several other schools. Maybe people just aren't getting the training they really need. But I can't imagine that it would be that hard to find a faculty member or parent to run the shot clock.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"boring" was used only in referring to the act of holding the ball. never in there did i say that the game itself was boring. In fact, it was the most exciting game I've seen this year. (minus the holding the ball parts)

clear now?

So you "got the analogy", but "it didn't make sense"? Speaking of not making sense...

OK. Holding the ball is boring. You attached a link, much of which was dedicated to giving history of how boring a game is where the ball is held. The last few days of this link has included a significant number of posts complaining about DL holding the ball. You used the word boring in your post about holding the ball. But not about the game itself - where the ball was held and people are now complaining. Got it. If you could explain all of that on the front end next time, it would help.

You are right, I should have chosen my words more carefully. How's this: we all understood the fact that you were trying to draw an analogy using football. However, your analogy was fatally flawed (i.e. didn't make sense) because you were using an example of something that is against the rules (no downs in football so kneel over and over and over then punt) to compare to something that isn't against the rules (holding the ball in basketball). Unless, of course, you were just using it to show that such a game of football would be boring. But then again, since it's perfectly clear that you didn't think this particular game was boring, that wouldn't make sense either.

And for the record - at least we can agree on one thing - I thought whoever brough up DL's football championship in this context was silly. Not that we aren't proud of it, just not the place to discuss it.

Finally, (I know you're glad to see that word) and for what it's worth - I hope CPA runs and guns Lewis County right out of the gym tomorrow night! Best wishes to you and your team and the rest of 9AA. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

OK. Holding the ball is boring. You attached a link, much of which was dedicated to giving history of how boring a game is where the ball is held. The last few days of this link has included a significant number of posts complaining about DL holding the ball. You used the word boring in your post about holding the ball. But not about the game itself - where the ball was held and people are now complaining. Got it. If you could explain all of that on the front end next time, it would help.

You are right, I should have chosen my words more carefully. How's this: we all understood the fact that you were trying to draw an analogy using football. However, your analogy was fatally flawed (i.e. didn't make sense) because you were using an example of something that is against the rules (no downs in football so kneel over and over and over then punt) to compare to something that isn't against the rules (holding the ball in basketball). Unless, of course, you were just using it to show that such a game of football would be boring. But then again, since it's perfectly clear that you didn't think this particular game was boring, that wouldn't make sense either.

And for the record - at least we can agree on one thing - I thought whoever brough up DL's football championship in this context was silly. Not that we aren't proud of it, just not the place to discuss it.

Finally, (I know you're glad to see that word) and for what it's worth - I hope CPA runs and guns Lewis County right out of the gym tomorrow night! Best wishes to you and your team and the rest of 9AA. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Can we all just move on now! It's silly for us all to still be talking about this subject. We all have big games tomorrow night, and I am sure then we will all have something new to talk about.

Best of luck to all 9AA teams, maybe we can make a sweep tomorrow night. That would probably make us all happy. So can we please move on and focus on tomorrow night.

CPA won and that is really the only thing that counts. The rest of the talk just really doesn't matter now.

Can we all just move on now! It's silly for us all to still be talking about this subject. We all have big games tomorrow night, and I am sure then we will all have something new to talk about.

Best of luck to all 9AA teams, maybe we can make a sweep tomorrow night. That would probably make us all happy. So can we please move on and focus on tomorrow night.

CPA won and that is really the only thing that counts. The rest of the talk just really doesn't matter now.

Just what part of a web-based chat room where people who actually don't play in the games and don't have any part in the outcome really does matter? If you start believing that what any of us has to say about any of this actually matters - run. Quickly. Far, far away.

Most of this entire web dynasty is based upon people having differing points of view and being willing to, dare I say, have some fun by airing them out like this.

Picky? Absoultely. Absurd? You bet. Silly? Dead on right. Drawn out to the point of making you want to scream? Yep. Topics where the horse is beaten well past dead? Hi-yo Silver Away - yes, yes, yes. But "matters"? Before or after a game? Nope. None of it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Isn't that what makes all of this fun? Focus on what? Getting a game face on to go watch? Surely you don't take all of this stuff on here seriously? I sure hope not. Watch the games. Enjoy them. What is said and done here will made absolutely no difference at all.

OK. No more silliness on the "boring" topic. FIDO - "forget it, drive on". I'll quit picking at matt610. Thanks for engaging in the fun.

Good luck to all 9AA teams tonight and tomorrow!

There is a reason that the NBA and NCAA have shot clocks...

7 states in the US have a shot clock for high schools. TN should be the 8th.

Since TN does not have the shot clock, they have the five second rule. All CPA had to do was guard, and it would have forced the offensive play. Lipscomb was simply trying to get CPA out of zone defense. As a matter of fact CPA pulled a five second call against DL's point guard earlier in the game.

If you truly know basketball, this was not Lipscomb holding the ball...it was Lipsomb trying to force CPA out of zone. CPA chose to sit back, and let the clock tick. All they had to do was step up on the DL players and start guarding. Once they do this, the five second clock starts ticking.

Maddux did the right thing by not taking DL's bait. DL would have continued to play wide out, drive the lane..make points, and draw fouls (like the first 10 minutes of the game).

I thought it was brilliant coaching on both team's behalves.

Since TN does not have the shot clock, they have the five second rule. All CPA had to do was guard, and it would have forced the offensive play. Lipscomb was simply trying to get CPA out of zone defense. As a matter of fact CPA pulled a five second call against DL's point guard earlier in the game.

If you truly know basketball, this was not Lipscomb holding the ball...it was Lipsomb trying to force CPA out of zone. CPA chose to sit back, and let the clock tick. All they had to do was step up on the DL players and start guarding. Once they do this, the five second clock starts ticking.

Maddux did the right thing by not taking DL's bait. DL would have continued to play wide out, drive the lane..make points, and draw fouls (like the first 10 minutes of the game).

I thought it was brilliant coaching on both team's behalves.

I wish coacht had a smiley for someone bowing down, because that post was perfect along with yours in the Region 5AA thread. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DL would have continued to play wide out, drive the lane..make points, and draw fouls (like the first 10 minutes of the game).

Thankfully, another voice of reason rising from the ashes, because I was beginning to think my eyes were deceiving me. I had seen CPA play and came away thinking that the strength of their defense was playing right inside the 3 point line, more packing it then pressure and making teams deal with Mason around the basket. Then I would read the posts being assured the reality was CPA was quick and played great defense, and it was PRESSURE defense. I began to wonder if I had seen the same team. Any team would have a hard time holding the ball against great pressure defense, so I was conflicted in how DL could accomplish such a feat!

Any perimeter oriented team who doesn't try to spread CPA out and take away Mason from the basket and manage the clock might as well chalk it up as a loss. Only exception might be if they have at least 3 very good scorers on the perimeter who can shoot the 3 and pull up and hit the mid range jump shot. Probably going to need 4 of those guys and it is still very risky.

Any perimeter oriented team who doesn't try to spread CPA out and take away Mason from the basket and manage the clock might as well chalk it up as a loss. Only exception might be if they have at least 3 very good scorers on the perimeter who can shoot the 3 and pull up and hit the mid range jump shot. Probably going to need 4 of those guys and it is still very risky.

Lipscomb does have 3+ good perimeter shooters who had been very hot in their previous two games. But holding the ball was their best approach and almost worked.

I wish coacht had a smiley for someone bowing down, because that post was perfect along with yours in the Region 5AA thread. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

....still wondering why you would guard someone 50 feet from the goal, or however far half court is...

Lipscomb does have 3+ good perimeter shooters who had been very hot in their previous two games. But holding the ball was their best approach and almost worked.

3+ perimeter shooters AND be able to beat their defender off the dribble, pull up for the mid range shot before having to deal with Mason. Many say the mid-range jumper is a lost art.