9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

I think it was probably the most exciting boring game I have ever seen. CPA's ability to attack defensively was greatly reduced when Miller was called for his second foul 2 minutes into the game. That in itself definitely limited CPA defensively. Miller picked up his fourth foul less than half way into the fourth quarter and further altered CPA's ability to be aggressive defensively.

I believe it was like watching a great chess match. Boring for the most part but quite exciting when a move had to be made.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct. I was stunned that CPA let them hold it. They are the more talented and athletic team, it was their job to force the tempo. I don't know if it was a pride thing, but Coach Maddux made a tactical error by not unleashing the hounds. If you're the superior team talent-wise it is in your best interest to get as many possessions as possible. I don't know the stats, but judging by the Tennessean "points for" and "points against" numbers CPA is far and away the best points per possession team in the district. Those of you knocking DL for not "playing" have no clue about basketball. I understand it must have been frustrating, but the DL coaches looked like they had a good plan and CPA changed their game to accomodate an inferior (no disrespect) opponent. While the critisism about DL finishing the game is valid, the criticism of their strategy is not. CPA finally turned it up and, surprise, won the game by 10. I am no coach, and I am sure the CPA coaches had their reasons, but I am sure they learned something valuable last night, something that will undoubtedly help them on their way to state. You critics out there should thank DL not belittle them.

Great atmosphere. A bit over the top at times, but what do you expect. It was a night everyone will remember fondly years from now. By the way - some of the best athletes weren't playing, but were the fans doing the gymnastics.

As far as Coach of Year, I'm not sure but I am guessing Pierce would trade it in a heartbeat for a district title. 9AA is loaded with good coaches, Maddux was excellent but seems to suffer from "too much talent" disease. He'll get his.

Let's go easy on the kids. The pettiness is something we should rise above.

Great job to both schools and good luck in the region.

EVERYONE READ THIS POST well done!

Uhh.. to be a rivalry , don't both teams have to have a fair shot of beating eachother?? 3-0 over a season isnt a rivalry. Just like how FRA claims to be a rival of CPA.

Coach Drew shouldve won that award by a mile, and everybody knows that. How can you go undefeated in the state with a team...and not win 9AA Coach of the year?

Is it safe to venture in yet? I'll mix some opinion with what I gather from my sources. All-District voting is done prior to the tournament. Player selections are pretty much dictated by the team's coach who nominates certain players. The opposing coaches will basically put on the team who that coach says he wants on the team. Top teams are allowed more representation than bottom teams. It is really not a true system of each coach voting strictly on who he believes should be All-District, there are certain limits in place.

Coach of the year is stricly what each coach thinks about the other. Their criteria is as varied as the opinions on this post. For different reasons, at least three coaches could have easily merited consideration; FRA's, CPA's and Lipscomb's. Age has nothing to do with it, Pierce is young and only in his second year too. Much of the time it will go to the coach who others believe has elevated his team beyond pre-season expectations. Based on that criteria, Pierce is the winner. Coaches normally respect that type of job more than the person who is expected to win because of his talent. At the beginning of the 9AA forum, it was stated CPA was loaded and predicted to finish first. Mason in particular gave CPA a huge talent advantage that other teams did not have. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Congratulations to Mr. Mason as a AA Mr. Basketball finalist as posted on coachT. Anything more need to be said about his unique special abilities?

Many of the posts are somewhat amusing. If the roles would have been reversed and CPA was the team who felt like they had to hold the ball to have a chance to win, the CPA fans would have been hollering genius, way to control the tempo and manage the game. And most likely many of the Lipscomb fans would have been saying they didn't want to play us. Interesting. Although I do agree if CPA has as great as pressure defense as I have read on these posts, then why would they sit back? Maybe it is because it is not so much pressure defense as it is Mason defense around the basket. It was a huge game for region seeding purposes and was so close it took 3 OT's to decide the outcome. Due to some of the upsets in district 10A, a big result is that Lipscomb is in the tougher side of the region bracket. That is another tough outcome for a game as close as it was, but that is basketball.

You obviously do not know Z's mom. It had everything to do with academics and getting a christian education. His mom works two jobs so he can attend CPA. He could have easily went to any of the schools that offer financial aid and probably paid very little and his mom would not have to work two jobs, but the christian education was much more important than the athletics.

People like you always think you know it all, but the bottom line is CPA has never recruited nor have they ever given financial aid. Believe it or not there are actually still some schools left that go by the rules. Odd in this day in time I know, but thank God for it.

Z's mother does everything she can so that her son can attend CPA, a true Christian Enviroment. If her son was given a free ride, then why would she work multiple jobs to send her son to CPA. If you really think she cared just about getting her son a free ride, then why would he be at CPA, and not somewhere else like Ensworth, MBA, or BA that do recruit and are more nationally recognized?

Absolutely right. CPA has never ever recruited atheletes through scholorships. ANYONE who thinks this obviously does not know Mr. Richard Anderson, CPA's headmaster. He is the absoulte most honest person I know. Then theres Mike Ellson, the Atheltic Director. He always does the right thing, no matter what. Then there's Coach Drew. Anyone who has ever met this man knows how much he absouletly cares and loves his team and this Academy. As much as he loves this district title, i have no doubt that he would give it up in a heartbeat if he knew he cheated to get there. Anyone who has never met this great man has no right to talk about him as a coach or as a man. If CPA isn't allowed to recruit then CPA dosent recruit, period.

Uhh.. to be a rivalry , don't both teams have to have a fair shot of beating eachother?? 3-0 over a season isnt a rivalry. Just like how FRA claims to be a rival of CPA.

Coach Drew shouldve won that award by a mile, and everybody knows that. How can you go undefeated in the state with a team you have been coaching since the sophmores were in 7th grade, and not win 9AA Coach of the year?

Uhh, you don't think DL had a fair shot of beating CPA? I'm pretty sure that no other team consistently challenges CPA- 2 out of 3 games went to OT this season. Sure CPA has beaten them 4 strait times, but you can't compare that to the beat downs of FRA by CPA in football. I'm a CPA fan, but come now, lets please be reasonable, DL could have and really should have one that game with all the chances they had.

If DL vs. CPA is not a rivalry, then why are there 5 pages of posts about 1 game in 24 hours? Who is CPA's rival if it's not DL?

Is it safe to venture in yet? I'll mix some opinion with what I gather from my sources. All-District voting is done prior to the tournament. Player selections are pretty much dictated by the team's coach who nominates certain players. The opposing coaches will basically put on the team who that coach says he wants on the team. Top teams are allowed more representation than bottom teams. It is really not a true system of each coach voting strictly on who he believes should be All-District, there are certain limits in place.

Coach of the year is stricly what each coach thinks about the other. Their criteria is as varied as the opinions on this post. For different reasons, at least three coaches could have easily merited consideration; FRA's, CPA's and Lipscomb's. Age has nothing to do with it, Pierce is young and only in his second year too. Much of the time it will go to the coach who others believe has elevated his team beyond pre-season expectations. Based on that criteria, Pierce is the winner. Coaches normally respect that type of job more than the person who is expected to win because of his talent. At the beginning of the 9AA forum, it was stated CPA was loaded and predicted to finish first. Mason in particular gave CPA a huge talent advantage that other teams did not have. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Congratulations to Mr. Mason as a AA Mr. Basketball finalist as posted on coachT. Anything more need to be said about his unique special abilities?

Many of the posts are somewhat amusing. If the roles would have been reversed and CPA was the team who felt like they had to hold the ball to have a chance to win, the CPA fans would have been hollering genius, way to control the tempo and manage the game. And most likely many of the Lipscomb fans would have been saying they didn't want to play us. Interesting. Although I do agree if CPA has as great as pressure defense as I have read on these posts, then why would they sit back? Maybe it is because it is not so much pressure defense as it is Mason defense around the basket. It was a huge game for region seeding purposes and was so close it took 3 OT's to decide the outcome. Due to some of the upsets in district 10A, a big result is that Lipscomb is in the tougher side of the region bracket. That is another tough outcome for a game as close as it was, but that is basketball.

Ahhh...another seemingly innocent post laced with CPA bashing undertones. Call it what you will, Drew Maddux and ALL the CPA players got it done this year.....so far. Another year will be just that....another year.

As far as Coach of Year, I'm not sure but I am guessing Pierce would trade it in a heartbeat for a district title. 9AA is loaded with good coaches, Maddux was excellent but seems to suffer from "too much talent" disease. He'll get his.

The same goes for Coach Maddux but the other way round. He wouldnt trade CPA's district championship for any individual award he might receive.

If that is the criteria, then WHY did Coach Maddux not receive the award last year when, as a rookie coach, and with sometimes 4 sophomore starters and 1 senior on the team (FRA has 8 this year) took CPA within a few points of a district title after CPA was picked in the bottom half of the district by everyone preseason. I know that was last year, but if that is really the criteria as you say and Pierce is deserving, then Maddux was equally if not way more deserving last year.

Said very well! Yes, CPA was undefeated in the district and are a very good team; However, just because they are the district champs does not mean they have the district coach of the year. There is a reason that Mr. Mason has been nominated as AA Mr. Basketball.... He is an awesome basketball player! And he would be an awesome basketball player at FRA, Lipscomb, and.......He would be a coaches dream. Give FRA or Lipscomb "Z" and I think the distict standings would be very different. FRA and Lipscomb both have very good teams and if you added a "Z" , you would have a team as good as, if not better than CPA. But does that change the district coach of the year, I don't think so.

As for the comments making fun of Lipscombs ability to compete with CPA, yes Lipscomb is 0-3 this season. Game one went into overtime, CPA won by 3, Game two CPA won by 12, Game three went into triple overtime! Obviously they can compete!

Lipscomb went into Tuesday's game with a gameplan and executed it very well. CPA may have had a gameplan, but it obviously didn't have a strategy for Lipscomb's gameplan. I guess that is why they seemed to be in AWE most of the game.

CPA fans can make fun of Lipscomb's gameplan all they want. Make fun all you want of "holding the ball" and playing "keep away", but since when is basketball or even "keep away" an individual sport. In the game of basketball there are two teams on the court. One team is on offense, and if they choose to hold the ball then it is the team on defense's job to take the ball away. From what I saw both teams stalled the game. Lipscomb held the ball and CPA stood back and watched.

I think the Lipscomb team played with class and lost with class. And to the CPA fan's, enjoy your win, be proud of your win......but quit defending your win if you truly feel that you earned it. A winner doesn't feel the need to defend a win if they sincerely feel they deserve the win.

CPA fans can make fun of Lipscomb's gameplan all they want. Make fun all you want of "holding the ball" and playing "keep away", but since when is basketball or even "keep away" an individual sport. In the game of basketball there are two teams on the court. One team is on offense, and if they choose to hold the ball then it is the team on defense's job to take the ball away.

And it is the offense's job to score. It's not against the rules to hold the ball in TSSAA, but it is BORING and was obviously not the intention when the rules were created. Basketball with no shot clock is like football with no downs. If a football team with no downs used DL's strategy, they would have gotten the opening kick, kneeled the ball 30 times, and then kicked a field. Would that be a fun game to watch? Sure it would be great strategy and not against the rules, but that is NOT HOW THE GAME WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED.

There is a reason that the NBA and NCAA have shot clocks...

Read the quote about half way down the page: http://www.snopes.com/sports/basketball/24second.asp

7 states in the US have a shot clock for high schools. TN should be the 8th.

If that is the criteria, then WHY did Coach Maddux not receive the award last year when, as a rookie coach, and with sometimes 4 sophomore starters and 1 senior on the team (FRA has 8 this year) took CPA within a few points of a district title after CPA was picked in the bottom half of the district by everyone preseason. I know that was last year, but if that is really the criteria as you say and Pierce is deserving, then Maddux was equally if not way more deserving last year.

Last year had some unique variables to it. Coaches didn' t know in the pre-season how much impact Mason's return would have on CPA, he was an unknown. Even more so, MLK had a very slow start, Doc Shelton got sick, and the assistants and players had to rally around each other until Doc returned. After a very slow start, MLK won both the regular season and the district tournament championship. That was probably as much as an award given to recognize the entire coaching staff as it was as only recognizing the head coach as is usually the case.