9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

I am a huge CPA fan and I have no problem with Lipscomb stalling. Its tournament time so as a coach you do what you feel gives your team the best opportunity to win. The game was played within the rules of the TSSAA. It may not be the kind of game some people were expecting but like was posted earlier CPA has used the same game plan to win games. Again its tournament time, anything is possible, on any given night anyone is capable of being beat or beating someone, thats what makes it exciting to me.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please be reminded. Some CPA (or Lipscomb) fans who post on CoachT do not represent the majority of CPA fans or reflect the majority feelings of the schools. So when you get upset with a post, take it out on the poster, not the school or its fans.

Anyone who knows basketball recognizes the following:

-- Lipscomb had a great game plan that was within the rules, smart, and almost worked.

-- CPA coaches responded to that plan in the way they felt they needed to to win, and it worked -they won.

-- A slow, low scoring game is not necessarily a boring game. If you thought the game was boring, you couldn't have been there. Ever seen a 1-0 pitching duel in baseball between two great pitchers?

-- Coach Maddux and his staff have done a great job at CPA, but Coach Pierce did as well, and should be congratulated as Coach of the Year

-- Z is a great player, but one player does not win a District and go undefeated (ask Station Camp with Jenkins). It takes great coaching and team play with everyone filling a role. When Petersen got hurt in the Lipscomb game, Lowery played the rest of the way and played his best game of the season, making a big shot to keep CPA in the game.

-- CPA and Lipscomb are fine schools with great fans, but there are always a minority that can reflect negatively on the majority. Don't judge the majority by the minority.

I will be pulling for all the teams in 9AA to go far in the tourney, whether or not CPA is one of them.

Please be reminded. Some CPA (or Lipscomb) fans who post on CoachT do not represent the majority of CPA fans or reflect the majority feelings of the schools. So when you get upset with a post, take it out on the poster, not the school or its fans.

Anyone who knows basketball recognizes the following:

-- Lipscomb had a great game plan that was within the rules, smart, and almost worked.

-- CPA coaches responded to that plan in the way they felt they needed to to win, and it worked -they won.

-- A slow, low scoring game is not necessarily a boring game. If you thought the game was boring, you couldn't have been there. Ever seen a 1-0 pitching duel in baseball between two great pitchers?

-- Coach Maddux and his staff have done a great job at CPA, but Coach Pierce did as well, and should be congratulated as Coach of the Year

-- Z is a great player, but one player does not win a District and go undefeated (ask Station Camp with Jenkins). It takes great coaching and team play with everyone filling a role. When Petersen got hurt in the Lipscomb game, Lowery played the rest of the way and played his best game of the season, making a big shot to keep CPA in the game.

-- CPA and Lipscomb are fine schools with great fans, but there are always a minority that can reflect negatively on the majority. Don't judge the majority by the minority.

I will be pulling for all the teams in 9AA to go far in the tourney, whether or not CPA is one of them.

Thanks for lecturing everyone in the post, and I'm glad your opinion represents the feelings of most CPA fans - you did a poll, I'm assuming? Just because somebody makes a controversial statement, or has an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, or says something a little outlandish, doesn't mean it is time for you to pull out the santimonious stuff and lecture all of us about what CPA is for or against. You go down that path and then you're going to have to defend some rather bizarre things done by CPA's fans - the CPA dad doing the belly flop on the floor, CPA's cheerleaders yelling at DL's inbound guy (a really bush move). I don't think these comments reflect on anything about CPA or DL- it is just people doing what's been done for about 100 years - argue about sports. If it hurts your feelings, I'm sure you could start another thread about women's knitting circles or flower arranging or something like that.

lets not forget only 4 years ago they stalled against FRA in the Region Championship and of course Tackett let them.... those were the days of Sykes and House im sure they could of won regardless but no they used bum bum bum bum.... THE STALL

In a basketball technical sense, there is a difference between stalling and holding the ball. Stalling is more along the old North Carolina four corner offense where you basically refuse to take any shot unless maybe (and I do say maybe), you get a wide open lay-up. Some stalls make the attempt to hold the ball, refusing to take the shot, in order to not let the other team have the ball.

Holding the ball is an attempt to dictate what type of defense you want the other team to play. In the above mentioned post, CPA, who had a slight lead, made the attempt to pull FRA out of the zone, since the thought was there would be a higher chance, percentage wise, of scoring. At least that was the thought process. FRA wouldn't come out, so CPA continued to hold the ball since CPA had the lead.

It was also the good ol' days when tournaments were primarily played in consecutive days, which I personally happen to like better since it maintains the momentum of tournament atmosphere. This was CPA's third game in three days, and since CPA was a press and run team that year, gave the opportunity to rest for the final minutes of the game. Which if memory serves me correctly, was much needed since FRA did take a lead in the 4th quarter before CPA prevailed in a tough, hard fought game.

Thanks for lecturing everyone in the post, and I'm glad your opinion represents the feelings of most CPA fans - you did a poll, I'm assuming? Just because somebody makes a controversial statement, or has an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, or says something a little outlandish, doesn't mean it is time for you to pull out the santimonious stuff and lecture all of us about what CPA is for or against. You go down that path and then you're going to have to defend some rather bizarre things done by CPA's fans - the CPA dad doing the belly flop on the floor, CPA's cheerleaders yelling at DL's inbound guy (a really bush move). I don't think these comments reflect on anything about CPA or DL- it is just people doing what's been done for about 100 years - argue about sports. If it hurts your feelings, I'm sure you could start another thread about women's knitting circles or flower arranging or something like that.

Thanks for the lecture about how someone should not lecture. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

In a basketball technical sense, there is a difference between stalling and holding the ball. Stalling is more along the old North Carolina four corner offense where you basically refuse to take any shot unless maybe (and I do say maybe), you get a wide open lay-up. Some stalls make the attempt to hold the ball, refusing to take the shot, in order to not let the other team have the ball.

Holding the ball is an attempt to dictate what type of defense you want the other team to play. In the above mentioned post, CPA, who had a slight lead, made the attempt to pull FRA out of the zone, since the thought was there would be a higher chance, percentage wise, of scoring. At least that was the thought process. FRA wouldn't come out, so CPA continued to hold the ball since CPA had the lead.

It was also the good ol' days when tournaments were primarily played in consecutive days, which I personally happen to like better since it maintains the momentum of tournament atmosphere. This was CPA's third game in three days, and since CPA was a press and run team that year, gave the opportunity to rest for the final minutes of the game. Which if memory serves me correctly, was much needed since FRA did take a lead in the 4th quarter before CPA prevailed in a tough, hard fought game.

How about "freezing" the ball - what would that be? - technically

In my opinion, any team that has to resort to holding the ball/stalling during a Championship Game does not belong there. The TSSAA needs to institute a shot clock of a reasonable time of say 45 seconds. That is plenty of time to set up a play and eliminates the wart on High School Ball. For those who would say that it is a High School Tradition or whatever, remember that there used not to be a 3 point shot and the girls played 6 on 6. Those changes turned out ok.

Boring? Really? We're you bored last night at the game? If you we're you've got some serious attention deficit problems. Sure, the CPA fans chanted "boooorrrriiiinnnggg", but even that made the game more exciting. You can not like the strategy, but to say it was boring is nuts.

No, it's not like playing football without downs, because that isn't legal. Holding the ball is legal. Bad analogy. Try another one.

How can you say that's not how that game was meant to be played? It's not the way it normally is played today, granted, but a whole lot of basketball existed prior to the 24 second rule. And it didn't come into the college game in the 50's either. It was the 80s if I remember correctly. Coaches adapted because they had to. Do you even remember basketball before the 3 point shot and the 24 second clock? Different styles - yes. Boring - no.

Danny Biasone? Not exactly a household name when it comes to basketball. How about Dean Smith? Love him or hate him, he played by the rules and used the clock to his advantage.

Admit it - you hated the strategy. That's OK. A lot of DL fans hated it too. But, seriously, I don't know anyone who was bored.

No where in there did I say that the game was boring. Holding the ball at half court and everyone in the gym including the players staring at the clock waiting for it to get down to 7 seconds IS boring. But then there is a great 7 seconds of action, I just wish we could have seen 4 minutes in each overtime rather than 1 shot.