Double Elimination

ru4mocs

That happens in D-I in the regions and the state every year.

And the reason for the regions is because you can't have 100 kids in each weight class. Not needed in DII at the time.

Cutting down what happens with DII is not the answer to fixing what you don't like about the tournament for DI.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they let fiscon run it. He/They would find a way to make it work. Seriously, why don't they just lease out the tournament and let someone else worry about it. They provide expectations and approve the final format.

Here is what Kentucky does. They have 32man brackets with full double. They do it in the same time constraints that Tennessee has. They also only use 4 mats. If they can do it on 4 mats why can't Tennessee do it. Its a total of 868 matchs. Only about 200 more than the current format. 200 can be done easily over 3 days.

Here is their schedule and a bracket.

http://www.khsaa.org/wrestling/2008/statemeettimetable.pdf

http://www.khsaa.org/wrestling/2008/state/khs2008brk010.htm

We would do it if asked.

We would do it if asked.

I'm askin! I'm Askin!!! If that helps at all. I'll even help you.

Seriously, it makes since. It would help everyone involved on both sides. It would make life easier for Ronnie by putting all of the responsibility on your shoulders. To the extent of finding a new venue if needed.

I began my coaching career in 1984-85 at Louisville Waggener. That year-1985- our tournament was a sixteen man pull through. One of my most vivid memories of that tournament was when Tom Lee of Christian County (34-0) going into the tournament was upset by Ricky Fowler of Louisville Doss. Fowler lost in the next round, thus eliminating Lee, who went on to become a state champion in 1987. My 98 pounder at the time, Blaine Hedges, was a beneficiary of that loss.

After that, for two years we had a four week tournament sequence-District, Region, Semi-State, and State. Top four from each tournament advanced, so the state tournament was an eight man bracket. We placed four. Don't know why they didn't wrestle for fifth, or eighth for that matter.

That returned to a three week tournament sequence-district, region, state- a full double elimination

16 man bracket. This has evolved to a 32 man bracket.

They do the tournament in 2 days on four mats AND award 8th place, which I have always thought

we should do (but I guess is asking too much because not only would it add 14 more matches it would require the purchase of 28 more medals-aye, there's the rub!) because national tournaments place eight. And how many tough kids have lost in overtime in the consolation quarters?

Still, I advocate 8 placers as well. I know I'm getting happy, but we must all have dreams, right?

And I can say from my experience that the KHSAA cares even less about the sport than the TSSAA does.

Shut up. If you get upset in a tournament, you get upset. End of story. Enough of all this, "he shoulda won but got beat in the first round..." You should have been more prepared for the state tournament. Talk to Jim and Shaack. They'll teach you how to prepare for the state tournament.

Another keyboard Rambo , paper tiger clown, burning up Mom's computer with nonsense.

The guy is giving real examples of why we need to go to a double elimination and you want to jump all over him. D-1 should be double elimination, period. If you are so confident in your coaches then petition for D2 to go single elimination so the almighty TSSAA can save a few more bucks.

Shut up. If you get upset in a tournament, you get upset. End of story. Enough of all this, "he shoulda won but got beat in the first round..." You should have been more prepared for the state tournament. Talk to Jim and Shaack. They'll teach you how to prepare for the state tournament.

if one tells another to "shut up" ...then please put your name and if you are a wrestler for D2...put your weight as well...so we can see what round you would get beat in /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

jim and shaak...tell us who they are so we can call them for help... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Ok guys/gals. How do we get this to happen? I hear a lot of talk but it has for years apparently been directed in arrant directions. It should be the same as getting an elected official to follow the will of the people. I believe this subject is the will of the people as I haven't heard of anyone not in favor of the change.

Who do we call and what is the number to call?

Who is above that person/committee members and what is their numbers and addresses?

What open meetings can people attend?

All of this is just talk from keyboard heroes if the people who can make a difference aren't pushed to make the difference.