Refs Hand Jackson Co. tournament championship

cocoatiger

They know what the procedure is, but then they get labeled as whiners. If they were not getting picked on they will. Everyone knows too well how this happens. Just call the game fair and 90% of the yelling will go away. Those officials will talk about how rude Clarkrange fans were, but they will not talk about the imaginary over and back, the 12 walks, and the uncountable push, holds, and hand check calls. They fired up the stands and verbally paid for it, with complete disregard for players on the floor.

options I have all the respect for you and enjoy your post and pull for c'range every time they play because I'm a friend of Lamar except when they play us CoachRogers was looking straight at the girl at mid court and he seen the same as me ,I was at mid court just out from him.He didn't question the call because it was clearly a over and back and I believe he will tell you that.AND YES THERE WERE HAND CHECKS AND WALKS ,BUT MOST OF THEM ON YOUR TEAM IN MY EYES AND MOST ON OURS IN YOURS. The refs had no part in deciding this game ,it was plays made and not made by the teams.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs were bad enough when Pickett Co. played Jackson Co. tough in the semifinals with JC being allowed to walk, reach over the back and foul at will with nothing called. PC stayed with them most of the way but couldn't overcome the refs. But tonight it was MUCH worse. Clarkrange won the game. Jackson's #33 walked with the ball before passing off and JC hitting the 3 at the buzzer for overtime. The walk was obvious and was right in front of the ref. That basket never shpould have been counted and the ref should have called the walk even before the pass. They hammered Clarkrange all night...called an over & back which never happened...the heel of her foot never touched the court. JC walked over and over and over with nothing called. A foul by Clarkrange would be called but the same thing at the other end was never called. JC could push a Lady Buffalo out of bounds and it was a turnover instead of a foul. The refs cost Clarkrange at least a dozen points. This was a shameful performance. PC would not have beaten JC even with good refs, but Clarkrange DID beat them. JC can't take any pride in the way the game was handed to them. Everyone around me from Pickett Co. also felt Clarkrange was robbed, not just me. Great game Lady Buffaloes....EVERYONE knows you won.

most folks in PC are ok but a few whine when they win cry when the team thier against win and just plain baugh when they get beat its always them ole sorry refs ;hang the hanky out its wet again

In the Region tournies that is usually the case, traveling to other Regions (not our own). As far as players chasing loose balls, hey, if you can have a foul away from the ball, you definitely can have fouls while players are chasing a loose ball. When a player pushes or jumps on someone who is there first, I personally would call a foul....but if i think that both players a making a legitimate attempt to get to the ball without pushing or holding each other, the contact may end up being severe----judgement has to be quick and swift.....Referee crews try to let the players play if possible early- we tell this to the captains at the pre-game captain"s meeting- but we also let them know we will penalize according to the rules.....some games we have no choice but to call too many fouls, but in order to insure safety and enforcing the rules, we have no choice......I will say this (other referees may disagree). Girls' games have more contact than most of the boys' game I have officiated. More girls wind up on the floor, there are more jump balls, and there is more extra-curicular activity after the whistle sounds. Not scientific research, just fact from my experiences through the years....GIRLS GAMES ARE MORE DIFFICULT TO OFFICIATE, in my opinion....

Ernie....Let me say first that an officials job is not easy. I absolutely know that is a hard job but my biggest problem with the game(let me remind you my team was not playing) is the refs set the tone early buy letting the girls get to rough. I will have to give them this.....they were consistently bad for both teams. They let defend to rough....way to much contact. hey I know as well as anyone that contact is to be expected but I'm not talking hand checks.....I'm talking a stage down from mugging!! Both teams did it but the Refs set the tone by allowing it. I know you want to let them play but remind the players they are playing basketball not football. A player will push the limits(who wouldn't) but it frustrated me to see all the SLAPS(so many) holding, pushing& WALKING. Like I said you expect contact but when it gets that rough players lose their temper. The walking thing.....to many refs let the girls palm the ball.....they do it sso they can cut with the ball but it is a carry! Coaches need to get this clear to their players

at least the refs. in the state want be living here in this dist.. they want know all the kids and parents from here it should be good and come down to fundamentals witch jc has none of. the are a good shooting team and thats it. push outs and smacking people and six on the floor and double dribbling want get it in the state

Man I can't believe you put JC down like that, saying they have no fundamentals and they are just a good shooting team and thats it. I agree they are a good shooting team, but they are also one of the better defensive teams. I mean how many turnovers did they force last night on defense, I lost count? and there fundamentals is to play a good defensive physical game. As for smacking people that was happening on both sides, sometimes it got called and sometimes it didn't. I remember before halftime Misti tried to put up a three pointer at the buzzer and she got smacked in the arm, I could hear it up in the stands. As for six players on the floor, I never saw six players on the floor and I remember when ya'll was wanting that called I think it was during a timeout or it may have been when Kelly Reed got hurt, but I remember there being six players standing over at our bench, but if ya'll were wanting that to be called for six players on the court that is just plain crazy. I don't know all the rules of bball and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that a team can get in trouble for six players on the court during a timeout or when a player gets injured, it has to be if they are getting ready to start play again, just thought you should know that.

I know you are a true fan and you have knowledge of the game as well. I wouldn't mind doing that at all as i know it really helps me. I know i have went out of the gym about to explode at times and get back that night and watch game film and once you break it down, rewind, fast forward etc... you will be amazed as to how many things your own team does or doesn't do that really could have changed things. A silly turnover here, a missed layup there etc.. It also allows you to see what the ref is calling, and yeah sometimes they miss it i mean lets get real here, there is only one man ever that could walk on water! Now i'm not saying that i haven't seen games where the officials decided the outcome heck i know you've heard about the Lady Vols game the other night where the clock magically stopped at .02 in time to get a foul called, or in the Georgetown game where the kid gets a foul with .01 on the clock 85 feet from the basket just dribbling. Now these two instances are quite different but nothing like this happened. There was no phantom foul at the end just a great shot to send it into overtime. The girl is 5' nothing and Miss Snow who is 6'3 is running at her with her arms up it was just a lucky shot. I have often said after my days of coaching are over that i too wouldn't mind officiating ( i can now see every official cringing at the very thought of this! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> ) and have called a few jv games. Believe me when i say this its MUCH harder than it looks. Anything i can do to help you let me know but i'm mad at 7A right now /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" so i refuse to ask him anything! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have not blamed the loss on officials, we had the game under control and let it slip away. There were some questionable plays (that would have changed the outcome) I would like to see again when my emotions are more on an even level. I coach a different sport. I can remember twice when watching film the play not being as I thought it was(and I had a good look on the field). That's a lot of plays. I have a good relationship with the officials in my sport, I have had only one flag and I deserved it. But it was a horrible call and he knew it. I talked to the head of the officials(always call to say good crew, they made a few mistakes, ask for clarification) and he said that they had blew the call, that's what his official told him. I don't talk to the officials unless they bring attention to themselves, I know when someone does something wrong(a player) and leave the officiating up to them. Back to the subject, you do notice when more bad things happen to your team. Everyone does, that's why I have tried to not bash them (I would have last night if I had a few minutes alone with them), but point out what we could of done to finish off the game. We didn't and JC did.

Devilfanatic, that was one of the best posts that I have read on this forum in a very long time. Very well said !!

We are going to make an official out of you yet !!!

Melton07 Just a few questions for you. Are you a supervisor, or an assigner. You speak as if you have 50 years experiance on the game.

As for six players on the floor, I never saw six players on the floor and I remember when ya'll was wanting that called I think it was during a timeout or it may have been when Kelly Reed got hurt, but I remember there being six players standing over at our bench, but if ya'll were wanting that to be called for six players on the court that is just plain crazy. I don't know all the rules of bball and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that a team can get in trouble for six players on the court during a timeout or when a player gets injured, it has to be if they are getting ready to start play again, just thought you should know that.

There was a time when six were on the floor and they were beginning play, the official held the ball until one finally stepped off, Coach Brown had to reach and pull her off. I am not sure of the circumstances, maybe should have been call maybe not. I am still not going to argue officials, we should have finished off the game but didn't. In order to be considered a great team, we will have to do that.

Senator,

I don't think the officiating was as bad as the emotions were, but the call that started the major bashing(from Clarkrange's side) at the game was the over and back and a couple of walks. From there every call was being questioned, and so was the integrity of the refs. Those calls caused an avalanche on the refs. I had a midcourt view and she did not touch the line with her foot (remember Sean Elliot's 3 pointer in the play-offs, but not as close), and the reason Coach Rogers didn't respond was probably disbelief. I have seen much worse called games, not over the last couple of years. This is the first I have seen Coach Rogers shaking his head that many times call after call or no call.

The game can't be blamed on the officials, but the atmosphere sure can be. They definitely got what they was asking for from both sides.

I have not blamed the loss on officials, we had the game under control and let it slip away. There were some questionable plays (that would have changed the outcome) I would like to see again when my emotions are more on an even level. I coach a different sport. I can remember twice when watching film the play not being as I thought it was(and I had a good look on the field). That's a lot of plays. I have a good relationship with the officials in my sport, I have had only one flag and I deserved it. But it was a horrible call and he knew it. I talked to the head of the officials(always call to say good crew, they made a few mistakes, ask for clarification) and he said that they had blew the call, that's what his official told him. I don't talk to the officials unless they bring attention to themselves, I know when someone does something wrong(a player) and leave the officiating up to them. Back to the subject, you do notice when more bad things happen to your team. Everyone does, that's why I have tried to not bash them (I would have last night if I had a few minutes alone with them), but point out what we could of done to finish off the game. We didn't and JC did.

well let me start by sayin it was an officials time out for a hurt player not a team time out know one is aloud on or off the court in an officials time out so yes it should of been called and you would of watched c'range girls went to the other side of the court until the new player intered the game were as jc went to there sideline when that player stepped onto the court it should of been called i dont care if it was c'range or jc or who it was but all is said i wasnt for jc or c'range i stay in cookieville and didnt care who won but let me say i bashed the refs and i have alot of friends that ref and i bash them to when i see them but last night was the worst ive seen in along time

When she was reaching for a loose ball the Dyer girl came in and stomped on her elbow. I overheard that her shoulder was dislocated and the trainer put it back in place. That's what happens when refs let people pile on. Not sure on my info maybe someone knows more than me on this one.

I was mistaken, it is a badly sprained elbow. Sorry for the misinformation.

I can't speak for other coaches all i can do is comment on what we try to do and teach. First let me say that any good coach will tell you that no one player will ever cost the team a game as no one call or no call during the game will cost a team the game. However if its a close game at the end the calls and plays are magnified due to the things that have happened up to that point. What i try to do is when i get onto a player for making a mistake i always make it a point to make sure that he knows when he did something right as well. Its called being fair to the kids in my book. If i yell at them in front of a crowd i make sure that i praise them in front of that same crowd when they get it right. As for the mistake thing, and getting onto one player vs not another i think thats more perception than reality. It all depends on the particular situation but anyone that has ever played for me or ever had a child that played for me will tell you this, i'm very fair to all the kids. I treat none and all of them special if that makes sense?? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> If #13 throws it away or does something crazy i'm going to yell at him the same way i would #99. Hopefully this has helped! Oh and thanks for the hug last nite!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thanks for your reply and gotta lot of respect the way you coach. I like a coach to chew a lil butt.. and be fair about it..Some kid's react different I quess than others you just have to feel that out, some can't take a chewing and others have thick hide and what I think is funny one looks like you can read their minds outloud. Now when you have a player for instance scoring in double fiqures and playing hard and you get a coach to acknowledge the bad instead of the good things. When is it too much pressure? How much do you ask of a kid? If they give you 110% is that enough? This should probably be in another thread but thought i would take a stab at it. Before anybody gets the wrong Idea i am not talking in particular to one coach just something I have seen sometime back and has bothered me ever since and would like to have an input from a coach, Maybe i am not the only one that wonders these things. I promise not to go on with it just would like to have your opinion on what exactly is enough...I do know this some kid's will not give 110% unless they are pushed to. It's like sometimes you got to drop some hot coals in there britchies /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

What was funny about the JCCR game is that Misti had not been hitting very well in the last few games with her three's and BAM! The one the counted the most she nailed and I thought it was pretty...and Courtney Dyer Normally doesn't hit foul shots that well, and look so the moral of this story the girls stepped up when it counted...

Oh and as far as the Hug your welcome they come few and far between /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />