New TSSAA Rule?

Cretinfromthesticks

Perhaps I missed any discussion on this topic, but I've been informed that the TSSAA either has a newly effective rule or will soon require all booster type organizations to qualify for and maintain true non-profit tax status. Does anyone have any information about the above? If this is true, it poses quite a burden for smaller schools and booster clubs.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a new state law (not just a TSSAA rule) passed last year that concerns booster clubs. The law says any booster club that used the school or school's name doing fund raisers, will have to have the school board control the funds and the distribution of the funds. This is a quick summary of the law. I am sure it is more detailed than my simple explanation. This would also cover other groups that raise money for schools (ie: Band Boosters).

I would suggest you contact your school's AD and your local State Senator.

State Senator Dewayne Bunch of Cleveland (his son wrestles for Cleveland) and I have talked about the issue and he is reviewing the law.

There was a new state law (not just a TSSAA rule) passed last year that concerns booster clubs. The law says any booster club that used the school or school's name doing fund raisers, will have to have the school board control the funds and the distribution of the funds. This is a quick summary of the law. I am sure it is more detailed than my simple explanation. This would also cover other groups that raise money for schools (ie: Band Boosters).

I would suggest you contact your school's AD and your local State Senator.

State Senator Dewayne Bunch of Cleveland (his son wrestles for Cleveland) and I have talked about the issue and he is reviewing the law.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

so let me get this straight, the same people who can't seem to get it right are going to tell the parents who raise additional funding for whatever school activity or group needs extra funding (not supplied by the school board) how, where and when to spend it.... or control it? i see more vacations in our future for "educational advancement". THAT'S A GREAT IDEA.....maybe we should all run for school board............ we need a professional study of the Bahamas band boosters........ /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This is not a TSSAA rule or law. This is from the Tennessee State Government. This law is not just for sports booster clubs. It is for band, choir, drama booster clubs as well as PTO's and PTA's. Check out Jakedad's post he has the new law there for those who are interested to read.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

so let me get this straight, the same people who can't seem to get it right are going to tell the parents who raise additional funding for whatever school activity or group needs extra funding (not supplied by the school board) how, where and when to spend it.... or control it? i see more vacations in our future for "educational advancement". THAT'S A GREAT IDEA.....maybe we should all run for school board............ we need a professional study of the Bahamas band boosters........ /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well said.

School boards are notorious and historical breeding grounds of stupidity. Mark Twain summed it up best with his classic observation :

" In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards. "

Worth noting Twain died in 1910. The problem hasn't gotten any better.

My original question stemmed from information I received that the TSSAA was adopting or had adopted companion regulations to the statute, but I doubt if that is the case. It doesn't seem like an area the TSSAA would get involved with.

From what I have been able to determine to date, there may be some additional statutory language which doesn't take effect until July 1, 2008. The statute cited above apparently became effective last year. I am researching this issue and will post my results when complete.

This idea was originally supposed to protect school systems from liability caused by the apparently common practice of many booster clubs, for all types of school activities, who were informally operating under the tax exempt status of the related school system. It appears that, as usual, our "part time" legislators have casually adopted statutes which were written by someone else, perhaps even lobbyists, and which took what seemed like a good idea at the time but which reached beyond the original intent, to create an administrative nightmare.

If followed to the letter, this law could require school systems to hire additional employees just to monitor and insure compliance by the many parents' organizations which make these student activities/athletics possible. Many booster clubs barely operate now on the backs of thousands of parents who want to support their kids, and this law could lead to the disappearance of these types of organizations. Consequently, some of the related activities will no doubt suffer and some may not be able to function at all. It presents a pretty heavy burden for these small volunteer booster type organizations. Wrestling is a sport that will probably be hurt significantly as many of us can only sustain a program with the assistance, both with time and money, of parent support organizations.

I will bring some more information to this board as soon as I finish looking into it.

When the state offical came to Greeneville to explain how these new rules would affect the booster. I was not able to attend a mid day conference. Another sport booster did.

Her boss (her husband) was a lot more understanding than my boss (my wife)that this was the time it was most convienient to most boosters (sarcasm). Now that I have that out of my system.

This is a few points that she came away with.

The state does not want any school employee to handle or control booster money. With the exception of the school bookkeeper. As if they need more work to do.

They want the money to be accouted for in triplecate. example Sally takes up the money at the gate, She counts it signs off and gives it to Mary. Mary counts it signs off and turns it over to Jean. Jean counts it and signs off and turns it over to the bookkeeper. Who makes sure Sally, Mary and Jean can count.

I am not sure about some of these because the other thing was that all booster checks should have 2 signatures. Every thing should be bought with a check. No cash tranactions. When I go to Sams Wholesale to buy for our concession stand they will not accept a check from the school since the school is not a member. Pizza delivery people do not like to take checks. I can go on and on. But will try and stop.

Now I understand that there are people out there who would steal from a club. They are far and few. But it is very obvious to me that the people who made these rules have not been very envolved with a booster club. Everyone knows how hard it is to get workers. If you break their back with paperwork and act like you dont trust them, forget it. Think of how this will play out when a coach needs 20.00 meal money for each team members. He better come back with recipts that match. Like he does not have anything else to do.

Get in touch with your state senator and ask for some help on this issue. We have found out in the past the the the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Our school officals can not help us on this, all I have spoke to do not like it. With out the support of all their booster it would be tough to run the programs.

Make a phone call, send a email, make a difference.

The link that I posted previously in this thread directs to the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act. If it??™s not obvious, the act defines a School Support Organization as a booster club (among other things). The act was approved on June 4, 2007. If you look at Section 12 of this act, you will see that all Sections became effective on July 1, 2007 except for Sections 5 and 6 which will not take effect until July 1, 2008.

Cretin ??“ Sections 5 and 6 may represent the ??

In reference to my email to State Senator Dewayne Bunch (R-Cleveland) regarding this issue he wrote:

"The current status is that it is ongoing and is to start in July of this year. However, I have a bill filed as well as other legislators to change the law. We are currently in negotiations with the Comptroller, who pushed this bill last year."

I encourage you to contact your State Senator and have them contact Sen. Bunch to sign on as a co-sponosr of his bill.

Remember this includes all groups and organizations such as PTOs and other support groups.

• 2 weeks later...