Smyrna's Run In The Regionals

fish5

I don't want to take anything away from Smyrna, and I'm not a fan from WC, MJ or Lawrence County - so pardon my naivete on this topic. Smyrna is definitely one of the best teams in the state, no doubt. But I'm guessing Smyrna's large margins of victory in their last three games has more to do with injiries on the other teams than "Smyrna coming together and playing their best ball of the year." At this point in the season, practically every team left that is not suffering from crucial injuries is playing their "best ball of the season."

So, can anyone give me some education on this? I know LC had some injuries that affected the Smyrna outcome. What about MJ and WC? Was that the best reason that Smyrna plastered each of them...or is Smyrna miraculously 20 points better than the two teams that ranked above it in 9 AAA all year long?

Or did Smyrna have injuries during the season and their injured stars are now fully recovered?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to take anything away from Smyrna, and I'm not a fan from WC, MJ or Lawrence County - so pardon my naivete on this topic. Smyrna is definitely one of the best teams in the state, no doubt. But I'm guessing Smyrna's large margins of victory in their last three games has more to do with injiries on the other teams than "Smyrna coming together and playing their best ball of the year." At this point in the season, practically every team left that is not suffering from crucial injuries is playing their "best ball of the season."

So, can anyone give me some education on this? I know LC had some injuries that affected the Smyrna outcome. What about MJ and WC? Was that the best reason that Smyrna plastered each of them...or is Smyrna miraculously 20 points better than the two teams that ranked above it in 9 AAA all year long?

Or did Smyrna have injuries during the season and their injured stars are now fully recovered?

IMO Smyrna's Coach Willey has been here before and learned a thing or three. Smyrna has been eliminated just before state more than once. This season I think he had a plan. Show them just enough during the season and when the time is right bring out the big guns. It seems to have worked according to the three 20-plus point wins in the Regions and the stunned and dumbfounded reactions of competitors.

Smyrna was in a three-way tie with MJ and Wilson Central until they lost a close one to Lavergne at home which dropped them to third in the district conference. It's not new that they are playing at this level just not posted on here. As far as polls, it's not an exact science. Smyrna has been consistently ranked in the top ten in state all season and at one time was one of two teams (the other Webb of Knoxville) from TN ranked in the top 10 in the South by USA Today. As a matter of fact I think Smyrna stayed on the USA Today list longer than Webb because they were taken off after losses to Ensworth and Oliver Springs.

These responses appear to be from Smyrna devotees and do not really answer my questions. Are you Smyrna fans assuming that LC, WC and MJ injuries had nothing to do with your recent successes? I know LC injuries affected the LC score. I'd like to hear from some knowledgeable WC and MJ fans on this topic. I understand Smrna fans wanting to believe that their coach hid some of their weapons until the playoffs, but I'm not convinced that is the best explanation, and input from a less biased source would be welcomed. If WC and MJ fans agree with the Smyrna responses, I'll be more convinced.

I'm not a MJ or WC devotee, but I can say Smyrna is not a 20 pt better team than either one of their district foes. Smyrna did defeat MJ at the beginning of the season by one at Smyrna & played them close at MJ during their second matchup. I didn't see the MJ/Smyrna regional game, & not to take anything away from Smyrna, but I would think MJ probably had an off shooting night. MJ can light up fast & when they do this, they can put a team away quick. That's what happened in the district game when they played each other. MJ was up double digits before Smyrna knew what hit them & they never recovered.

I don't think Smyrna actually ran the table on WC as the score would indicate. I heard from someone who attended the game tonight that WC coach did not play any of his starters in the 4th quarter. It appears WC coach thinks he might have a better chance against McGavock vs Hillsboro. I really don't know if this is his strategy but if so, I saw McGavock play the other night & they are MUCH improved from the beginning of the season. They have 2 big forces on the inside that will match up well with Hassell & several sharp shooters from the outside that can knock it down or take it in. If McGavock stay poised with their guard play, WC might be in trouble.

With Smyrna having to play Hillsboro, I don't know if this is a good matchup for them. EP will be the key to game. She's going to have to play under control because Hillboro has a good guard in Perry that can frustrate EP with her quickness & defense. Should be a good game but I don't see Smyrna winning by 20 as they have done against their last 3 opponents. They are going to have to really step it up & play their best game of the season come Saturday night. Maybe the tough district schedule will have them ready!!

Good luck to all, should be some interesting games this weekend...

No excuses from Lawrence County. Smyrna flat whipped us. They can win it all playing the way they did against us at our place.

this is not the first time the wc coach has thrown a game. i loved his quote in the paper saying his girls might have played harder on wednesday night before they knew who they would be facing on saturday. if he's not careful, that's going to come back to bite him.

This is the kind of situation you get when teams can move on even if they lose. It happens quite often in district consolation games. I think it would be better if the tournament were a one and done affair, but at least make it where a team has to win 2 games to get out of the district. 4th place teams have no business moving on.

This is the kind of situation you get when teams can move on even if they lose. It happens quite often in district consolation games. I think it would be better if the tournament were a one and done affair, but at least make it where a team has to win 2 games to get out of the district. 4th place teams have no business moving on.

I agree. Only the district finalists whould move on.

I agree. Only the district finalists whould move on.

I would be pleased even if they would just make the district consolation game an elimination game. In the region the district champions could be given a bye in the first round. In that situation no one would be thinking about throwing a game. The WC/Smyrna game was a really unusual situation. I don't know how prevent that unless you just eliminate the sectional games, which will not be done because of financial considerations.