Should a coach ever throw a game?

mjbears#1

Should a coach ever throw a game to put the team in a better position? If so, do you just make questionable coaching moves or are the girls in on it also?

For example, the Nashville Tennessean was full of quotes by Smyrna coach Steve Willey virtually accusing Bud Brandon and Wilson Central of purposely losing the regional championship game to avoid a sub-state matchup with 30-2 Hillsboro. It is not the first time that Wilson Central has been suspected of doing this.

Of course you are going to say that because you are from Mount Juliet and your a little upset because ya'll are not going to the GLASS HOUSE!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm...no!!!! I'm bored so I'll throw in my $2 worth. Losing a game so you can play a weaker team to advance..is in my opinion insulting to the kids you coach. You are essentially telling them they are not good enough. Seems to me a coach that does that isn't very confident in his team OR he is more concerned with what he wants than what is best in the long run for the kids he coaches. Guess flippin what..winning and losing is a part of life...get used to it. I'd rather be on a team where the coach had confidance in the team...sorry but that is insulting as all get out to the kids he coaches. I wasn't stupid at that age..geez I could see through that load of bull. Gold ball or not...I'd rather be on a team that worked for it..step by step than play for a self-centered ,ego driven coach. This is about him and what he CAN SAY HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE..... NOT ABOUT HIS PLAYERS. The real world isn't easy..better get used to it. Okay...I feel better now /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That and illegally recruiting kids out of the Bahamas. If I'm incorrect, please correct me with the facts and why he was released. I thought this was common knowledge. But i'm easily changable with data.

Again you don't know really what went on. His reason for his release dealt with the classroom. Of course there were people saying these were the reasons but no one had any real facts that backed up these rumors. All but one of the Bahama kids came on their own through other families. Would you as a coach tell a 6'5" athletic transfer kid he couldn't play because he didn't come from the home town. Don't think you would tell anyone that. Rumors always fly when someone is asked to leave their job. Again only the coach knows if he did everything he could to win a game. Just remember this "common knowledge" you speak of has no proof or facts to be backed up. I hope this clears up some of this, I will not post anymore on this matter.

Everybody is giving way too much credit to the "legendary" coach(es) at WC...Bud's biggest contribution to each game is the over/under we have for throwing his jacket!

Maybe the WC's coaches best moment was last year in sub-state against Antioch with the best team WC has ever had....that was coaching! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I kid, I jest....

I don't buy that the game was tossed.

Health and luck to all, go 9AAA!

Hey buddy call me when you have as many wins as a coach as Campbell Brandon does.

Your just another spectator coaching from the stands.

Maybe they do get to much credit but they are still goin to the glass house and mj will be sittin at home.

I think I smell some jealousy towards Bud, Campbell and the lady wildcats.

They probably did give up to early in the game though.

I don't think Bud set out the throw the Wilson Central/Smyrna game. He did however tell his team that a win was not necessary to advance. When I watch a game I don't just view the action on the court I watch coaches' and players' expressions on the bench. When Smyrna came out playing the way they were and got up early it was pretty evident to Bud they were in for it. He did what any wise coach would do--retreat to fight another day. With Christopher injured he could not afford another player getting hurt before playing McGavock. So far it has worked.

I don't think Bud set out the throw the Wilson Central/Smyrna game. He did however tell his team that a win was not necessary to advance. When I watch a game I don't just view the action on the court I watch coaches' and players' expressions on the bench. When Smyrna came out playing the way they were and got up early it was pretty evident to Bud they were in for it. He did what any wise coach would do--retreat to fight another day. With Christopher injured he could not afford another player getting hurt before playing McGavock. So far it has worked.

Great post you are 100% right

Ummmm...no!!!! I'm bored so I'll throw in my $2 worth. Losing a game so you can play a weaker team to advance..is in my opinion insulting to the kids you coach. You are essentially telling them they are not good enough. Seems to me a coach that does that isn't very confident in his team OR he is more concerned with what he wants than what is best in the long run for the kids he coaches. Guess flippin what..winning and losing is a part of life...get used to it. I'd rather be on a team where the coach had confidance in the team...sorry but that is insulting as all get out to the kids he coaches. I wasn't stupid at that age..geez I could see through that load of bull. Gold ball or not...I'd rather be on a team that worked for it..step by step than play for a self-centered ,ego driven coach. This is about him and what he CAN SAY HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE..... NOT ABOUT HIS PLAYERS. The real world isn't easy..better get used to it. Okay...I feel better now /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree with you! But this happens more often than you think! No, one will admit it but it happens! But for the kids that you coach you should have them doing their best and if they lose at least they did their best and played their hearts out! And left it on the court! GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS FROM HERE ON OUT!! I think a coach should NEVER intentionally throw a game!

Again you don't know really what went on. His reason for his release dealt with the classroom. Of course there were people saying these were the reasons but no one had any real facts that backed up these rumors. All but one of the Bahama kids came on their own through other families. Would you as a coach tell a 6'5" athletic transfer kid he couldn't play because he didn't come from the home town. Don't think you would tell anyone that. Rumors always fly when someone is asked to leave their job. Again only the coach knows if he did everything he could to win a game. Just remember this "common knowledge" you speak of has no proof or facts to be backed up. I hope this clears up some of this, I will not post anymore on this matter.

Not sold on it, but I will not post on this again either.