MBA's 2008 Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Opponent Named

rollredroll

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing??¦we have a thread about a team that is representing not only itself but also the state of Tennessee in a relatively high-profile out-of-state matchup, and we get more attention to coaching turnover than the game itself.

Anyway, since the coaching issue will not die, here is my take:

We have a new school in Nashville that basically built the foundation of its athletic program ??“ and particularly its football program ??“ around former MBA alumni and coaches (speaking of, anyone find it odd that said up-and-coming school had one of its golden boy coaches leave after just a few short years to take over a floundering football program? Talk about a thread-in-waiting that deserves some comments.).

We also have another Nashville-area school ??“ the state??™s current #1 in all-time winning percentage and former home to the state??™s all-time coaching wins leader ??“ that has had its rear end handed to it since the advent of DII, tugging behind a 4-12 record versus MBA, including four shutouts at the hands of the Big Red defense. The school has only been shut out six total times in 131 games in the DII era; the fourth shutout at the hands of MBA was in the 131st game ??“ the 2007 DII-AA title game. Good grief, what took ??

Amazing??¦we have a thread about a team that is representing not only itself but also the state of Tennessee in a relatively high-profile out-of-state matchup, and we get more attention to coaching turnover than the game itself.

Anyway, since the coaching issue will not die, here is my take:

We have a new school in Nashville that basically built the foundation of its athletic program ??“ and particularly its football program ??“ around former MBA alumni and coaches (speaking of, anyone find it odd that said up-and-coming school had one of its golden boy coaches leave after just a few short years to take over a floundering football program? Talk about a thread-in-waiting that deserves some comments.).

We also have another Nashville-area school ??“ the state??™s current #1 in all-time winning percentage and former home to the state??™s all-time coaching wins leader ??“ that has had its rear end handed to it since the advent of DII, tugging behind a 4-12 record versus MBA, including four shutouts at the hands of the Big Red defense. The school has only been shut out six total times in 131 games in the DII era; the fourth shutout at the hands of MBA was in the 131st game ??“ the 2007 DII-AA title game. Good grief, what took ??

It's obvious this is a sensitive topic to you...why are you so defensive? A couple of posts merely point out that MBA has lost some coaches recently. I'm not surprised that readers of this board would be curious about that. What does that have to do with MBA's record vs. BA and/or David Pack leaving Ensworth? None of that matters...what matters is that several highly thought of coaches have suddenly left a program. Just makes you scratch your head.

It's not a sensitive topic at all with me, and I am not being defensive. The questions are certainly relevant, and the answers (to which I have none, by the way) are ones that I am interested in as well. However, this thread is about the Moeller game, and while I understand that threads can and do veer off topic, it??™s a shame that the game itself isn??™t getting more discussion. There will be plenty of other threads (how about creating a new one?) to discuss off-season/coaching/other issues.

Also, I would argue my previous references to the other two schools were certainly relevant as it relates to why those schools may want MBA coaches on their staffs. Furthermore, I think the departure of F. Elliott (a couple of decades plus) and J. Redmond (7 or 8 years?) from MBA, while a ???head-scratcher??? and a loss, is certainly not as newsworthy as a highly prized coach leaving a so-called school of the future for a floundering program. Elliott and Redmond (and others) have proved what they can do at MBA, yet others have left their new football programs almost before they ever got off the ground.

In summary, I have no problems talking about coaching issues, but in a climate where some of the powers in this state are criticized for their weak, uninspiring schedules, it would be nice for this game itself, and MBA??™s willingness to put its reputation on the line in a national environment, to get a little more attention on this thread than off-the-field news.

It's not a sensitive topic at all with me, and I am not being defensive. The questions are certainly relevant, and the answers (to which I have none, by the way) are ones that I am interested in as well. However, this thread is about the Moeller game, and while I understand that threads can and do veer off topic, it??™s a shame that the game itself isn??™t getting more discussion. There will be plenty of other threads (how about creating a new one?) to discuss off-season/coaching/other issues.

Also, I would argue my previous references to the other two schools were certainly relevant as it relates to why those schools may want MBA coaches on their staffs. Furthermore, I think the departure of F. Elliott (a couple of decades plus) and J. Redmond (7 or 8 years?) from MBA, while a ???head-scratcher??? and a loss, is certainly not as newsworthy as a highly prized coach leaving a so-called school of the future for a floundering program. Elliott and Redmond (and others) have proved what they can do at MBA, yet others have left their new football programs almost before they ever got off the ground.

In summary, I have no problems talking about coaching issues, but in a climate where some of the powers in this state are criticized for their weak, uninspiring schedules, it would be nice for this game itself, and MBA??™s willingness to put its reputation on the line in a national environment, to get a little more attention on this thread than off-the-field news.

I don't think Pack leaving is that big of deal...maybe he just relishes the chance to call the shots again. He is taking on a very prominent administrative position at FRA, and motivated guys love the opportunity to turn a program around. I would just leave it at that. I think you are attempting to create a controversy.

Speaking of a team putting it's reputation on the line...take note of one of BA's opponents next year...

USA Today

2007 #2 ranked Prattville

I don't think Pack leaving is that big of deal...maybe he just relishes the chance to call the shots again. He is taking on a very prominent administrative position at FRA, and motivated guys love the opportunity to turn a program around. I would just leave it at that. I think you are attempting to create a controversy.

Speaking of a team putting it's reputation on the line...take note of one of BA's opponents next year...

USA Today

2007 #2 ranked Prattville

I'm not trying to create controversy at all; I'm just trying to maintain an atmosphere of fairness as it relates to coaching moves and what we should think about them. Funny - last year, Robert Black, an MBA assistant coach (and Class of '85 alum), leaves to take the head coaching position at Sewanee. I'd say that was an upward move, much like Pack's move to FRA by the way you described it. Yet, some people (naysayers) chose to say "What gives?" on Black's move. Now that's what I would call creating controversy.

As for BA playing Prattville, I had not seen that yet, but if so, hats off to BA. I love beating BA, but I also admire their scheduling over the years. Yes, BA puts its reputation on the line quite often (at least one out-of-state opponent for about 25 years straight now, and many of those good ones), and I applaud that.

It's obvious this is a sensitive topic to you...why are you so defensive? A couple of posts merely point out that MBA has lost some coaches recently. I'm not surprised that readers of this board would be curious about that. What does that have to do with MBA's record vs. BA and/or David Pack leaving Ensworth? None of that matters...what matters is that several highly thought of coaches have suddenly left a program. Just makes you scratch your head.

Actually, we might be justified in a bit of sensitivity on this topic, and if you were present for the screed surrounding Rutledge's departure and McGugin's hiring, you will understand that perhaps we find the talk of dire times on the Hill a bit annoying. Overall, the school has probably never done better. I admit to being a bit confused and saddened that Coach Elliot is leaving. He was one of my teachers at MBA, and he is truly a classy individual, everything that MBA seeks from its faculty. Still, MBA has replaced outstanding coaches before, and I suspect this move will work out well.

The Cincinatti private schools are an animal we don't have in TN. Moeller, St. X., and Elder are much bigger, and much less expensive than the typical TN D2 private school, much as St. X and Trinity in L'ville are. They are all excellent schools in every regard (academics, athletics, arts). It's a great challange and I'm excited we were invited and Coach M accepted. It's a no lose situation for us. The year we beat Trinity with Brian Brohm ('03, I think) they played (and lost to) Cincy St. X the following week.

Regardless, I can't help, every time we play one of these games, but shake my head and wonder why we can't get a high-level intersection game among traditional TENNESSEE powerhouses scheduled. I would much rather see a game between MBA and ----------------- (name redacted because I don't want to invite their fans over here to explain for the 1,000,000th time why they won't/can't play us) at Vanderbilt with 10,000 - 15,000 in attendence to start the year.

As for that certain coach--I can't imagine the pay cut this move entails. Either he really, really, really, wanted to be a head coach again (interesting that he would voluntarily give up a HC position to take on an assistant role in the first place), or something else has happened over there. "New school" can't remotely match what "old school" has to offer its faculty compensation-wise.

• 1 month later...

MBA is replacing Coach Elliot, one of the most underrated coaches in Tennessee, with the Ensworth middle school Head Coach in Jonas Rodriguez. Nothing against him personally, I know him well and he is a great coach. He helped coach Running Backs for Ensworth High School and did a great job. But as mentioned earlier, he has absolutely no experience with defense, he had never played it himself. So it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

MBA is replacing Coach Elliot, one of the most underrated coaches in Tennessee, with the Ensworth middle school Head Coach in Jonas Rodriguez. Nothing against him personally, I know him well and he is a great coach. He helped coach Running Backs for Ensworth High School and did a great job. But as mentioned earlier, he has absolutely no experience with defense, he had never played it himself. So it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Well i mean EHS defense looks real good at the beginning of the year when you guys play Tennessee school for the blind for the first 5 games of the year, geez, dont worry about the defense they will be fine just like they are every year.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i mean EHS defense looks real good at the beginning of the year when you guys play Tennessee school for the blind for the first 5 games of the year, geez, dont worry about the defense they will be fine just like they are every year.

My previous post was to not take a stab at mba, or boost the moral of Ensworth. I was just saying that Rodriguez has no experience coaching defense. He never coached defense at Ensworth, so why would you make a statement about ensworth playing "tennessee school for the blind for the first 5 games of the year"...especially when two of Ensworths first five games were mccallie and Knoxville Webb, and MBA being the sixth. Get your facts straight before you make another biased comment against ensworth.

I'm not trying to create controversy at all; I'm just trying to maintain an atmosphere of fairness as it relates to coaching moves and what we should think about them. Funny - last year, Robert Black, an MBA assistant coach (and Class of '85 alum), leaves to take the head coaching position at Sewanee. I'd say that was an upward move, much like Pack's move to FRA by the way you described it. Yet, some people (naysayers) chose to say "What gives?" on Black's move. Now that's what I would call creating controversy.

As for BA playing Prattville, I had not seen that yet, but if so, hats off to BA. I love beating BA, but I also admire their scheduling over the years. Yes, BA puts its reputation on the line quite often (at least one out-of-state opponent for about 25 years straight now, and many of those good ones), and I applaud that.

Here's a link to BA's schedule for next season (you'll have to go to the pull down menu for season, and change to 2008-2009):

http://www.brentwoodacademy.com/page.cfm?p...isplay=Schedule

Gulp! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />