BIG NINE BANQUET

Stokomo

The Big Nine Conference held its annual banquet and announced awards for outstanding achievements during this past season. These awards are from the coaches and not the media, which will be out soon. Coach Dickey Warren was given the lifetime achievement award and was so deserving for what he has done for the Big Nine Conference and the rest of East Tennessee for that matter. The Following awards are as follows.......

Coach of the Year: John Dyer - Sullivan East

Co-Players of the Year - Blake Moncier (Daniel Boone) & Isaac Snapp (Sullivan East)

1st Team:

Blake Moncier - Daniel Boone

Isaac Snapp - Sullivan East

Keith Cradic - Volunteer

Justin Sylvester - DB

Thomas Turnbull - DB

2nd Team:

Kyle Barnes - Sullivan East

Bronson Flack - DB

Marshall Hardy - DB

Chris Smith - Science Hill

Corey Young - Tennessee High

3rd Team:

Patrick Albright - Sullivan Central

Tyler Ashworth - Sullivan South

Aaron Bennett - Volunteer

Nick Jones - Daniel Boone

Josh Odem - Science Hill

All-Sophomore Team:

Clinton Freeman - David Crockett (Soph of the Year)

Zane Campbell - Sullivan East

Bailee Dick - Sullivan South

Gavin Duncan - Science Hill

Taylor Harmon - Tennessee High

Cameron Trent - Volunteer

There were many Honorable Mentions, too many to name. Congratulations to ALL recipients of these awards. Your choice may not have been what these fine coaches voted on....so........if you have a name that did not make the All-Big Nine Team, please share your thoughts with the rest, but PLEASE do not bash these fine young men who DESERVED the coaches' votes. GOD BLESS!!!!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS..... Thanks to Don Hellman (Sports Monster) for another outstanding job of MC'ing. And also.....SKUNK!!!! It wasn't the same without you this year!!!!!! Hope to see you soon!!! GOD BLESS!!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Although I am not from Sullivan County, I grew up watching Central in the districts and regions. Dickie Warren was as good of a coach as this state has ever produced. He got every ounce of talent out of his teams. The present day coaches who have average talent, need to sit at his feet.

First Team:

Jemel Williams - DB

Keith Cradic - Volunteer

Blake Moncier - Boone

Thomas Turnbull - TN High

Issac Snapp - East

Second Team:

Chris Smith - SH

Justin Sylvester - DB

Marshall Hardy - DB

Josh Kaiko - Central

Darren Riggs - DB

Third Team:

Dillon Faver - East

Jason Rock - Central

Josh Odem - SH

Corey Young - TN High

Bronson Flack - DB

Honorable Mentions: Weston Carr - South, Stephen Bennett - Crockett, Jordan Edwards - DB, Kyle Barnes - East, Jeff Baker - TN High, Aaron Bennett - Volunteer, Dionte Gray - SH, Brandon Lewis - Boone, Patrick Albright - Central

Sophomore of the Year- Taylor Harmon

Freshman of the Year - Jordan Cross

Player of the Year - Blake Moncier

Coach of the Year - Charlie Morgan

those are some good picks you have there. Everyone you replaced with the original from the coaches DID make the honorable mention. There was a lot or parity this year. ART....you right....Jamel Williams is the best player right now and should be next year. I guess the coaches looked for the whole year, which Jamel was moved up at some point during the year. There should have been Co-Coaches this year.....Charlie Morgan's team went undefeated and deserved the choice, BUT I admire Coach Dyer so much and what he did with East, you just could not leave him out of the spot this year. He has been coaching East since my Senior year, 1986-87, and he has been one of the backbone coaches representing the Big Nine year in and out. What a good coach and greater person he is. GOD BLESS!!!!

I hate to fan a fire but as much as I try to rationalize it??¦there is no way Charlie Morgan is not the Coach of the Year. I appreciate Coach Dyer also??¦but how do you compare his season to being Conference, District, and Regional CHAMPIONS??¦UNDEFEATED Champions!!!! And don??™t say ???well we didn??™t know Coach Morgan??™s team would do so well in the post season??? because that would be BS??¦and we all know it!! When will we in NET be able to shed this ???GOOD OL BOY??? mentality and reward the Coaches and Players that are going to go OUTSIDE the foothills of the Big 9 and represent!!!? We reward players because they shine on horrible teams. How many points a game would Jamel Williams have scored a game if he played for Boone. Now put Moncier on DB??¦would he even start??? Think about it. Now Stokomo you will say that I??™m a bad person for making that point??¦but think of how Coach Morgan feelings??¦I mean what else does a man have to do to be recognized. What if he goes on to win State??¦how much would Coach Dyers award mean at that point? And what about Williams??¦knowing the season he had (and the future he has) and to only be recognized as an Honorable Mention??¦ evidently behind all the other potential D1 talent that we have in the BIG 9!!

I hate to fan a fire but as much as I try to rationalize it??¦there is no way Charlie Morgan is not the Coach of the Year. I appreciate Coach Dyer also??¦but how do you compare his season to being Conference, District, and Regional CHAMPIONS??¦UNDEFEATED Champions!!!! And don??™t say ???well we didn??™t know Coach Morgan??™s team would do so well in the post season??? because that would be BS??¦and we all know it!! When will we in NET be able to shed this ???GOOD OL BOY??? mentality and reward the Coaches and Players that are going to go OUTSIDE the foothills of the Big 9 and represent!!!? We reward players because they shine on horrible teams. How many points a game would Jamel Williams have scored a game if he played for Boone. Now put Moncier on DB??¦would he even start??? Think about it. Now Stokomo you will say that I??™m a bad person for making that point??¦but think of how Coach Morgan feelings??¦I mean what else does a man have to do to be recognized. What if he goes on to win State??¦how much would Coach Dyers award mean at that point? And what about Williams??¦knowing the season he had (and the future he has) and to only be recognized as an Honorable Mention??¦ evidently behind all the other potential D1 talent that we have in the BIG 9!!

Coach Dyer won the award because for the most part, everyone pulls for the underdog and East was the definitely the ultimate underdog this year. They were small, didn't have that athletic ability compared to the good teams, and weren't as strong physically. No one, other than themselves, believed that they would be as good as they were. I agree 100% that Coach Morgan did a great job this year and that Williams should have been recognized a lot more than he was. The fact of the matter is that East was the feel-good story of the year and everyone hated DB. And if you ask Coach Morgan about what he thinks, I'm sure the only thing he cares about is that his team is going to state, not that he didn't win coach of the year.

Amen. Charlie had to share the award before and now flat beat out of it. I have nothing against Dyer/Sull East but sometimes you just have to give the award to the best at that time...not who is doing more with less etc. I mean I don't like Bill Belicheck one speck but when his team goes 17-0 in the regular season you can't give the coach of the year to Mike McCarthy because the Packers weren't expected to be that good and overachieved. Sometimes we as a society are afraid to reward greatness and choose to reward mediocrity. I'm not saying Dyer didn't deserve to win but I think CMo should have been given the award...period. I ask people this...if that was Pitts with the season that Morgan just had who would have gotten the award? I think that question answers itself.

As for Jamel, he was robbed of the District tourney MVP and was totally disrespected by not being considered one of the best (not even 2nd team) in this conference. They obviously look at it as career achievement instead of simply asking "if I had to make an all-star team up of the Big9 based soley on this season who would I select?" That question too answers itself.

Coach Dyer won the award because for the most part, everyone pulls for the underdog and East was the definitely the ultimate underdog this year. They were small, didn't have that athletic ability compared to the good teams, and weren't as strong physically. No one, other than themselves, believed that they would be as good as they were. I agree 100% that Coach Morgan did a great job this year and that Williams should have been recognized a lot more than he was. The fact of the matter is that East was the feel-good story of the year and everyone hated DB. And if you ask Coach Morgan about what he thinks, I'm sure the only thing he cares about is that his team is going to state, not that he didn't win coach of the year.

Wow so you're saying the other coaches and/or whoever votes on the coaches and players HATED DB and chose to use there vote as a way to get back at them for...dare I say it...winning! Please, if that is so then that is an even bigger travesty than Morgan/Williams getting shafted and those coaches should have there votes taken away. Do you think for one second that Charlie Morgan would not vote for who he thought best just because he didn't care for them? no way. But hey you just keep on hating and think it's ok to not reward the best.

And give me a break about East being small and not having athletic ability of the "good teams". They had Snapp, the big kid inside, and the freshman of the year. That is more than many teams had.

Here is the flat out truth, take it for what it's worth:

DB would have lost AT LEAST 3 regular season conference games this year and would not have won either tournament without Jamel Williams. They would have, at best, split with Science Hill and would have lost at East and at least 1 more game without Jamel. He is what makes this DB team go. You can talk about the depth, the size in the post, the ability of Sylvester, Halvorsen, McConnell, and King on the wings, but without Jamel running the show, those guys don't get the looks they got. I could live without him being selected 1st team because the Big 9 awards are about politics, always have been, but for him not to make at least one of the 3 teams, is completely ridiculous. There are many that could make a case for him being the best player in the conference, and to say he is not one of the best 15 is the biggest joke I have seen in my entire life following the Big 9.

I won't even go in the Coach of the Year conversation because it is pretty much a consensus from all on here, including non-DB fans, that Morgan deserved that award. He didn't lose a game, what more can you do? But Jamel Williams not making all-conference is a joke and every single Big 9 coach should be embarassed for the garbage that has been put out there.

I can solve this. When DB gets back from the State Tournment lets have a 1-on-1 with Jamel Williams against anyone named 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams and see who wins. Take your pick. My money is on Williams. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> This whole deal is one of those feel good moments. You know spread the love to the needy. Upward Big 9 Basketball. And then you give coach of the year to a guy that finished third in the conference as opposed to a guy that wins the conference and goes undefeated. What a joke! Are you sure the Kingsport Times News didn't do the voting?